Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > GermanyStinks.com

GermanyStinks.com
D'Espice
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2003, 10:24 AM

The American anti-German attitude is getting funny, I found this American anti-German website today that made me burst into tears. Not tears of sadness but convulsive laughter.

http://www.germanystinks.com

Being a German myself I consider this rather funny, unfortunately not all my fellow citizens share that kind of humor.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2003, 10:33 AM

Just to clarify: it's not an American attitude, it's the attitude of an American, n'est pas?

D'Espice  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2003, 10:34 AM

Let's just say it's not the first time I've heard or read or saw something anti-German.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2003, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by D'Espice:
Let's just say it's not the first time I've heard or read or saw something anti-German.
And I have seen things that are anti-American. So what?

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2003, 10:52 AM

NAZI!!!

That website seemed pretty freaking one sided. Read some of it, then it was just to full of ____ to read on.

Germany has some valid points... Then again, they are cheap... and war is costly.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2003, 10:55 AM

No need to say more, really.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2003, 11:15 AM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:
And I have seen things that are anti-American. So what?
It has been a trend here in the lounge that when something is "anti-american" americans flock together in defence of their beloved country and many resort to personal attacks. Why I'm saying this I'll tell you.....

Nah.... I won't bother.

Must...... resist.......

What is your point? Please tell me so I can understand what you mean.

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2003, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by Logic:
It has been a trend here in the lounge that when something is "anti-american" americans flock together in defence of their beloved country and many resort to personal attacks. Why I'm saying this I'll tell you.....

Nah.... I won't bother.

Must...... resist.......

What is your point? Please tell me so I can understand what you mean.
I mean that I lived in Europe for 22 years and over those years I came across quite a bit of anti-American sentiment. It was reflexive, sometimes quite hateful, bigotry - no better or no worse than this anti-German web site.

In other words, there are fools everywhere.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2003, 11:36 AM

I mean that I lived in Europe for 22 years and over those years I came across quite a bit of anti-American sentiment. It was reflexive, sometimes quite hateful, bigotry - no better or no worse than this anti-German web site.

In other words, there are fools everywhere.
But did you see this "anti-american" sentiments from government officials and media like BBC? Did you hear Europeans use the word "anti-(insert nation here)"? I have yet to see that from Europe(though it seems to be growing here these days), but at the same time I've seen it from America. I'm not saying that all americans are "anti-european" but when the media and govenment bolster it, you kind of get the feeling that people like to hear these things in america.

But I agree that fools are everywhere. And unfortunatly they tend to be very loud, just look at the Lounge.

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2003, 11:42 AM

But did you see this "anti-american" sentiments from government officials and media like BBC?
The BBC? Absolutely. It's famous for its anti-American tilt and has been for decades. This is something that was being talked about in the UK to my certain knowledge since at least the late 1970s (and maybe longer, but that's as far back as my first hand political knowledge goes). It's not just Americans who comment on it, it is the British media too. Government officials do occasionally venture into the field as well. Usually it is in the guise of resisting "vulger American culture" and "creeping Americanization." This is not a new phenomenon.

As for this particular anti-German web site, I see no evidence that it is government-sponsored. I'd put it on the same level as the "Yanks Go Home" graffiti I grew up seeing. I.e. the work of a yahoo.

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 6, 2003, 11:43 AM

These kinds of sites only fuel more anger and hatred of fellow human beings. Of course, people still hate hippies and all they did was "love."
Grr...

I'm not saying that I love hippies, but still.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2003, 11:51 AM

The BBC? Absolutely. It's famous for its anti-American tilt and has been for decades. This is something that was being talked about in the UK to my certain knowledge since at least the late 1970s (and maybe longer, but that's as far back as my first hand political knowledge goes). It's not just Americans who comment on it, it is the British media too. Government officials do occasionally venture into the field as well. Usually it is in the guise of resisting "vulger American culture" and "creeping Americanization." This is not a new phenomenon.

As for this particular anti-German web site, I see no evidence that it is government-sponsored. I'd put it on the same level as the "Yanks Go Home" graffiti I grew up seeing. I.e. the work of a yahoo.
BBC "anti-american"? Since I started reading it I have yet to see remarks that could be classified as "anti-american". About the "vulgar American culture", OK that is a bad choice of words, but in what context was it used? I've heard this but most often it isn't anything "anti-american" but something originating from America that Europeans don't like. That isn't "anti-american". Same goes for the other statement. But I'm sure those are from some people on the left wing of politics, they have always had a problem with America.

And I wasn't just talking about this website. This website is certainly just some idiots who feel the need to get some attention. I was talking about your media, CNN, NBC etc. etc., and your current government.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2003, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by Stuphalina:
These kinds of sites only fuel more anger and hatred of fellow human beings. Of course, people still hate hippies and all they did was "love."
Grr...

I'm not saying that I love hippies, but still.
Hippies were the most biased group in recent history... because they never recognized their own faults. They were perfect because they based their emotions on "love"...

Well hitler "loves" jews
Bush "Loves" arabs
KKK "Loves" black history month
Black Panthers "love" beverly hill billies
Republicans "Love" peace
Democrats "love" national defense
Iraqi's "love" irani's
The UN "loves" politics

Happy valentines day!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2003, 12:09 PM

That site is quite funny.

A few things I particularly enjoyed:

---------------------------

"A READER WITH STOCK MARKET SAVVY WRITES:

SAP Software should be included. It's not something that is sold to retail customers but to major corporations. _Ideally, individuals could band together and lobby big companies to buy Siebel or PeopleSoft instead of SAP.. Would take some organizing.

Porsche, The new Cayenne 4x4 is absolutely critical to Porsche's success. _The problem is, at $65,000 and up _it is one of the most expensive SUVs out there. _With just the right amount of pressure the initial roll-out could be _slowed down considerably. Porsche's share price is very, very vulnerable at a round 334."

------------------------

The SAP thing is just funny.

Porsche, btw, is doing very well, much better than the rest of the automotive industry.

And then these two:

Captioned: German reserves arrive.

Captioned: French dipomacy in the UN.

Silly people, I thought Jerry Lewis was AMERICAN?

-s*

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2003, 12:11 PM

BBC "anti-american"? Since I started reading it I have yet to see remarks that could be classified as "anti-american". About the "vulgar American culture", OK that is a bad choice of words, but in what context was it used? I've heard this but most often it isn't anything "anti-american" but something originating from America that Europeans don't like. That isn't "anti-american". Same goes for the other statement. But I'm sure those are from some people on the left wing of politics, they have always had a problem with America.

And I wasn't just talking about this website. This website is certainly just some idiots who feel the need to get some attention. I was talking about your media, CNN, NBC etc. etc., and your current government.
Criticism of BBC bias comes and goes. It's nice that you haven't seen it, but others have and do. I'm talking about criticism within Britain now. How much reading of the UK media do you do? Do you read the Tory newspapers (the Telegraph, the Times, etc.?), or do you only sample the opinion of the left? Although actually, even the Guardian and the Observer do run articles that discuss BBC bias from time to time.

A good recent example was the flap over a Question Time show after Sept 11th in which the American Ambassador was actually reduced to tears by the heckling of a hand-picked hostile audience. The BBC Director General actually apologized for that one.

Remember, however, that what I am mainly talking about isn't a single episode or two. I'm talking about an overal trend that has lasted decades. Perhaps from your perspective in Iceland you don't see the internal British debate over the neutrality or otherwise of the BBC. But within Britain criticism of the BBC for various kinds of bias does exist. Anti-American bias is one of the more frequently heard criticisms. Other biases that are perceived include a general anti-Israeli bias, pro-Europe (this is the UK, remember), pro-Labour and anti-Tory. In other words, the BBC, in many people's opinions, tilts left.

Otherwise, you seem to want to explain away the other symptoms of cultural anti-Americanism I have pointed to. Well, I'm afraid we are just going to disagree about that. I have my 22 years of experience living in Europe as an American, and you have your experience. Seeing as how I couldn't really fail to notice it, I suspect that out of the two of us, I probably have a better insight into what is just criticism, and what is full-blown bigotry. But you are free to dismiss it or explain it away if you want.

I'm curious about one thing, however. You say that the US media is fueling anti-German attitudes. You mention NBC and CNN. Exactly how are you judging that? Presumably you have access to CNN World Service, but that isn't the same CNN we see here in the US. Do you have access to the major US TV networks?

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2003, 12:32 PM

What? Germany Stinks?

This site is an OUTRAGE!!!!!!!!!

Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

D'Espice  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2003, 01:20 PM

Holy crap.... it's so amazing how some of you turn every single thread into a "the-whole-world-is-anti-american-but-we're-actually-the-good-ones" discussion. What is this, some kind of sickness? Why do Americans feel the urge to spam pro-American whenever they can and see the opportunity to make the rest of the world look bad?

All I wanted was to show you this website which I consider very funny. But instead, you've turned this thread into another "the-US-is-the-best-and-everybody-else-sucks-and-dislikes-us" thread, is that really necessary? Geeze, relax people...

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2003, 01:29 PM

Holy crap.... it's so amazing how some of you turn every single thread into a "the-whole-world-is-anti-american-but-we're-actually-the-good-ones" discussion. What is this, some kind of sickness? Why do Americans feel the urge to spam pro-American whenever they can and see the opportunity to make the rest of the world look bad?

All I wanted was to show you this website which I consider very funny. But instead, you've turned this thread into another "the-US-is-the-best-and-everybody-else-sucks-and-dislikes-us" thread, is that really necessary? Geeze, relax people...
No, I don't think anybody has. All I said that this is, as you say, a loopy and hate-filled web site. But it isn't a big deal not only because it clearly isn't representative, but also because there are idiots everywhere - here in the US, as well as in Europe. In response, I get the usual denials that any such thing as anti-Americanism could exist in Europe, which of course, is nonsense as any American who has lived in Europe will attest.

So perhaps you might take your own advice and relax a little.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2003, 01:30 PM

I ordered a "France Stinks" coffee mug

http://www.cafeshops.com/francestinks

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2003, 01:55 PM

I get the usual denials that any such thing as anti-Americanism could exist in Europe, which of course, is nonsense as any American who has lived in Europe will attest.
Maybe people just didn't like you.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

D'Espice  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2003, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
Maybe people just didn't like you.
Agreed

Nah, let's just straighten out the facts, shall we?

SimeyTheLimey is correct by saying that there's a strong anti-Americanism going on in Europe right now. Besides the British asskisser Blair, nobody's really on Bush's side, not even the British people.
And don't even bother to mention that letter some countries wrote saying they support the US. Before you start to argue about that kinda stuff, why don't you come to Europe for a few months to actually see with your own eyes what's going on here. After that, I'm talk about anti-Americanism in Europe with you people.

Turning this thread into a discussion about who hates whom more wasn't necessary, I hope that's clear to everybody else, too.
( Last edited by D'Espice; Mar 6, 2003 at 02:28 PM. )

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2003, 03:46 PM

Agreed

Nah, let's just straighten out the facts, shall we?

SimeyTheLimey is correct by saying that there's a strong anti-Americanism going on in Europe right now.
Actually, I really wasn't talking about right now as such. I haven't been to Europe since 1995 (though I'm hoping to go for a trip later this year). So it is hard for me to comment knowledgably about how things are now, as opposed to how they were when I lived there.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2003, 03:52 PM

Man these rednecks are such morons.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2003, 03:18 AM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
Man these rednecks are such morons.

then move.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2003, 04:34 AM

Besides the British asskisser Blair, nobody's really on Bush's side, not even the British people.

How come every single individual in a country, or even a continent knows the mind of the "people"? Okay, maybe everyone in your town thinks a certain way. Maybe only your family does, but those are the people who you have the most contact with, so that's a lot of people to you. Maybe just you, and you think you know what you think, but you don't really have all the facts?

The point is this: all you know about what your people (or a nation in a neighboring country) think about anything is based soley upon what the fernseher tells you is going on. You really don't know what your people think.

Its just annoying. I don't profess to know what the entire population in my country thinks about anything. If I went by everyone I know (really not that many people), I'd think the whole country was behind bush, and has accepted the fact that we're going to war.

Its rediculous to think you know what your country/continent thinks about anything. The entire continent has one opinion? Most people don't even have the slightest clue about whats going on at all.

Today on the news I heard a quote from some college age girl say about Sadam: "He killed all our people, and I think he needs to be punished."

What does that mean? I dont' think people know whats really know what's going on at all.
( Last edited by DeathMan; Mar 7, 2003 at 04:41 AM. )

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2003, 04:39 AM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:
then move.
How about if I never lived there in the first place. I am Canadian (thank God).

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2003, 04:42 AM

I am Canadian (thank God).
I knew there was something about you.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2003, 04:45 AM

Originally posted by DeathMan:
I knew there was something about you.
And you only know the half of it

daydreamer
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2003, 05:58 AM

This website idea is just full of Gay American Proudness. Typical. Well I'm proud to. I could make a "Europe Kicks Ass" website, but I'm not an american.

MikeM33
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2003, 08:02 AM

Threads like this in general are kinda funny because it's clear that there are enough people on both sides of the world that take offense when thier "turf" is under criticism. The bottom line is if you don't like something don't read it.

This particular site just makes my eyes bleed. Nevermind the "anti-everyone else but america" message, the design sucks ass!!!

MikeM

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2003, 08:10 AM

LOL

This is now front site news in Germany.

See the article .

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2003, 09:31 AM

Heh. That points out a difference. An "America stinks" website in German or French or Zulu sure wouldn't make it onto the first (web) page of Newsweek or Time.

Maybe the Onion.

I don't know if it's good or bad, but a difference.

BTW daydreamer, your post doesn't make any sense.

Zoom_zoom
Senior User
Mar 7, 2003, 09:51 AM

"Once I saw two men kissing, and that was the gayest thing I have ever seen until I went to that website"

http://www.paul.fuary.com.au
"You hate people!" "But I love gatherings, isn't it ironic"

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2003, 11:20 AM

How about if I never lived there in the first place. I am Canadian (thank God).

move south.

Anomalous
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2003, 05:07 PM

I get a Forbidden error when I try to load the site.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2003, 05:38 PM

Scheiss drauf. Mein n�chster Rechner wird ein Sony sein (oder ein Samsung wenn's Korea dann noch gibt).

Kauf kein Ami-Scheiss!

weird wabbit

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2003, 05:48 PM

Well , in ernest, apparently some clowns are taking the whole thing very seriously.

It would be so fukken ironic if a major boycott of German and French goods takes hold in the USA and drives Germany into bitter recession. The last time round that happened (major poverty in Germany) in the 1930's, a man called Adolf Hitler came to power swearing to take revenge on the countries that humiliated Germany.
weird wabbit

Forum Links
Forum Rules