Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > iTMS Europe not that inexpensive...

iTMS Europe not that inexpensive...
D'Espice
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2004, 08:19 AM

I was just browsin' the iTunes Music Store Germany and am quite pissed. I wanted to buy a Nine Inch Nails album, "The Fragile". I was about to buy it but luckily I noticed that it was 19,98�! That's only 2� cheaper than the CD on Amazon

It turns out that there indeed are some albums for 9,90� as promised - but most good stuff is way more expensive.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2004, 09:46 AM

First, you do not own a Mac so your moderator status on this forum should be revoked. (If not banned at all. I think one should own a Mac if one posts here.)

Second, this is a double album. Double albums cost 19.98 in the iTMS. Europe or not.

Third, if you purchase full albums, it is usually best to buy the CD. You get the physical media, booklet, full quality and no DRM. The strength of the iTMS is that you are able to pick individual songs from an album. Then the price is unbeatable. There are enough albums with one great single and the rest fillers to make the iTMS useful (once the German store gains substance).

Fourth, Amazon.de has the album used for 15.99 + 3 shipping which is .99 cheaper than the iTMS. You can save almost one extra Euro, so you have no right to whine around.

Heulsuse.
( Last edited by Developer; Jun 20, 2004 at 09:52 AM. )
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

D'Espice  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2004, 09:50 AM

Well I guess that's my point, it's not worth it.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2004, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by Developer:
First, you do not own a Mac so your moderator status on this forum should be revoked. (If not banned at all. I think one should own a Mac if one posts here.)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2004, 09:57 AM

[...]

Heulsuse.
Katze in Dein Fr�hst�ck geschissen?

Mal im Ernst: N�chstes Mal ohne Kater.

-s*

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2004, 10:11 AM

Guess that counts out a lot of potential switchers asking for advice becoming members then.

Good luck policing the policy.

The pettiness of the world never fails to amaze me.

willed
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2004, 10:48 AM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
Guess that counts out a lot of potential switchers asking for advice becoming members then.

Good luck policing the policy.

The pettiness of the world never fails to amaze me.
It's not that non-Mac people shouldn't be allowed here, it's that someone who doesn't even own a Mac is a moderator on a Mac discussion board which is a bit odd.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2004, 10:55 AM

Originally posted by willed:
It's not that non-Mac people shouldn't be allowed here, it's that someone who doesn't even own a Mac is a moderator on a Mac discussion board which is a bit odd.
I see your point...

But, don't the years of experience both in Macs and computers in general D'espice has count for anything? If somene has the knowledge, does it mattter what machine they have? Calls for 'immediate banning' are more than a bit dramatic don't you think?

D'espice has alays been very helpful and polite to people both as a Mod and before, so I just couldn't see need for the vitriol in the first reply...
( Last edited by The Placid Casual; Jun 20, 2004 at 11:13 AM. )

D'Espice  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2004, 11:10 AM

So? I don't have a Mac, big deal. What the .... does it matter computer I'm using? Me not having a Mac does not mean that I'm incompetent or do not belong here, does it? You know, I actually don't even care. I was asked by Scott to help him around in the PowerMac forums on the basis of both, my knowledge and experience about and with PowerMacs and my years of experience in moderating huge hardware forums.

If any of you have a problem with that, I don't care. This is your problem, not mine. It won't affect me helping any of you if you have a problem at all. If you're so biased that you won't even accept a PC user as a mod, that's really sad. Ye gods, imagine if I, a PC user with no Mac, would help You, the superior Mac Users, solve a problem... nuff said.

gatekeeper
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2004, 11:42 AM

Only G5 owners should be allowed to post. G3/G4 owners aren't worthy

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2004, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by gatekeeper:
Only G5 owners should be allowed to post. G3/G4 owners aren't worthy
Do you get stoned if you have a 'clone' machine?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2004, 11:52 AM

Do you get stoned if you have a 'clone' machine?
I have two Apple machines and get stoned occasionally.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2004, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:

-s*

:XI:
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2004, 03:41 PM

D`espice: don't you own a Powerbook 1400?

D'Espice  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2004, 04:27 PM

Yeah I do, barely use it anymore tho.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 20, 2004, 05:19 PM

I have two Apple machines and get stoned occasionally.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2004, 05:42 PM

iTunes isn't worth it for any albums as far as I can tell: they're generally only the same price or marginally cheaper than Amazon or whatever your favourite mail-order thing is, the quality is worse and you don't get a physical thing.

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2004, 06:02 PM

I think when it comes to Canada, I would only use it for albums that I dont care about an insert...Something I wouldnt normally buy but like the album like a soundtrack or something like that.
Who reads this???

Cipher13
Jun 21, 2004, 12:11 AM

Second, this is a double album. Double albums cost 19.98 in the iTMS. Europe or not.

Third, if you purchase full albums, it is usually best to buy the CD. You get the physical media, booklet, full quality and no DRM. The strength of the iTMS is that you are able to pick individual songs from an album. Then the price is unbeatable. There are enough albums with one great single and the rest fillers to make the iTMS useful (once the German store gains substance).

Fourth, Amazon.de has the album used for 15.99 + 3 shipping which is .99 cheaper than the iTMS. You can save almost one extra Euro, so you have no right to whine around.

Heulsuse.
Y'know, I always liked you.

Now I just think you're a ****ing idiot... and that's all I have to say about that.

Originally posted by willed:
What does it matter? Who cares? What business is it of yours?

He knows his ****, and he's one of the best mods on here, because he's always polite and helpful. I doubt you'll find somebody better, unless "worthiness" is calculated by the number of Macs owned, as Developer might encourage.

D`Espice: The Fagile is one of those albums where you just have to have the real thing. It's absolutely beautiful, and I would certainly pay extra to have a hard copy.

I remember paying ~$40 AUD when it came out down here.

D'Espice  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2004, 12:57 AM

Thanks Cipher
I just bought it for 15,99� used on Amazon + 3� s&h which is still a buck cheaper than in the iTMS.

PS: Thanks again for these NiN tracks... you were 110% right

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2004, 03:38 AM

I was thinking about Macless people posting only in the Political Lounge where I thought what interest they have here. Switchers or people with general interest in Apple should be welcome of course. Still I find it odd that someone who hates Apple and doesn't even have first hand knowledge is a moderator. Though that was only a side remark of an otherwise on topic post.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Cipher13
Jun 21, 2004, 03:58 AM

I was thinking about Macless people posting only in the Political Lounge where I thought what interest they have here. Switchers or people with general interest in Apple should be welcome of course. Still I find it odd that someone who hates Apple and doesn't even have first hand knowledge is a moderator. Though that was only a side remark of an otherwise on topic post.
Side remark? I think you mean snide.

No first hand knowledge? That comment alone shows your ignorance. Heh.

D'Espice  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2004, 03:58 AM

You're assuming I have no first hand knowledge... would be nice to know what you're basing that on. Not that it's any of your business, but... no really, it's none of your business. And your arbitrary assumption that I hate Apple is just ridiculous.

But you know what, like I already said, I don't care. Do what you please, it's none of my business. If you don't like me, tough luck. If you hate me, that's fine, I don't care.
( Last edited by D'Espice; Jun 21, 2004 at 04:05 AM. )

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2004, 04:18 AM

Originally posted by D'Espice:
You're assuming I have no first hand knowledge... would be nice to know what you're basing that on.
I'm basing that on your own admission that you don't even own a Mac.
And your arbitrary assumption that I hate Apple is just ridiculous.
Arbitrary assumption? Then why the "iTMS is the disaster - I'm pissed at Apple because double albums cost more" and the like threads? Sure albums could cost a little bit less to be able to compete with real CDs. And I'm all for criticising Apple where they deserve it, but did it ever come to your mind that the pricing is not completely under Apple's control? And don't you think it's amazing already that Apple negotiated 0.99 � per song in a country where the music industry charges 3 � for a ring tone?
Sorry, but your constant anti Apple postings as a PC guy make you look like a troll.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2004, 08:28 AM

1. the initial post, claims the iTMS is cheaper than alternative means, but at the same time disses it cause it's not cheap enough lol..... quit whining. You got the store in your country despite the burocratic bs that tried to hinder it's launch, and it's cheaper. if the albums were sold for 9.99, you woud probably be whining that it's not as cheap as for American users.

If these prices seem so unfair to you, take it up with the music industry in Germany, Apple dosent set prices so high on purpose.

2. "you need to own a mac to be a moderator". hmmm....i didnt know a mac helped you determine what content posted on these boards was relevant or not. Although being a mac user would probablybe preferable, it's not a requirement.

Either way this thread is pointless. if the iTMS is not good enough for you, dont use it. buy the CD, no ones forcing you to use the iTMS.

OreoCookie
Jun 21, 2004, 08:58 AM

-s*
Ditto.
Ich war echt �ber so offene Aggression ohne Provokation �berrascht.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

OreoCookie
Jun 21, 2004, 09:00 AM

Originally posted by D'Espice:
Yeah I do, barely use it anymore tho.
When did you have your `coming out', I must have missed that one
PS There are plenty of possibilities at the TU to get in touch with a Mac ... Aquarium l�sst gr�ssen.
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Jun 21, 2004 at 09:13 AM. )
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules