Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I Did It!!!!

I Did It!!!!
D'Espice
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 12:16 PM

Dance with me my fellow iBook'iens! I just did it, I ordered my very first brand new Macintosh computer. I've had Macs before yet always used ones, never a new one.

I just ordered the 12" iBook and the 20GB iPod in the Apple EDU Store Germany and therefore will get a 200,00 Euro refund. By selling my old MP3 Player that means that the iPod actually only costs me around 20 bucks

Shipment will be on or before 11/04 so I'm starting to get very very excited...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

A Ghost Is Born
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2004, 12:21 PM

congrats mate!

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 12:27 PM

Great !
Specs ?

D'Espice  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 12:35 PM

Well the new 12" iBook... 1.2 GHz CPU, 256MB of RAM, 30GB harddrive, Radeon 9200, Airport Express, yaddah yaddah
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one

A Ghost Is Born
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2004, 03:58 PM

depending the apps you will run, you may want to consider more RAM. I have noticed a slight increase by adding a 512mb stick of ram to the notebook. most applications that i use (MS word, safari, iPhoto) run quicker and allow for my apps to be run at the same time.

MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2004, 06:25 PM

congrats! I know you are going to love it. I agree with ghost the ram upgrade made a difference.
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

D'Espice  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2004, 05:02 AM

I already thought about it, dunno if I really need more RAM. I'll be mostly doing word processing, web browsing and email. Maybe a little Photoshop every now and then but that's basically it.
I'm gonna decide that when I get the iBook and see if it's fast enough or not. Plus, I'm pretty much out of cash right now
( Last edited by D'Espice; Oct 29, 2004 at 05:08 AM. )

A Ghost Is Born
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2004, 10:06 AM

That's exactly what I do. You should notice a pretty nice speed boost if you get some ram. honest.

negativeSpace
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2004, 03:07 PM

I wouldn't use Photoshop w/ <512mb of RAM at the very least, especially on a portable where you can't have a dedicated swap drive.
Life's not too short, your just dead for so long...

D'Espice  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2004, 06:09 PM

I just checked, another 256MB are about 60 bucks... thing is, I don't have them 60 bucks right now. So I'll have to live with 256MB for now, I'll be running mostly either Office v. X (not 2004, min. system requirements state at least 512MB of RAM...) or AppleWorks.

I do have another question tho: The iBook has built-in Airport Express so I'm beginning to consider getting a WLAN router. I live in a studio and didn't have no laptops so far so there's really been no need for WLAN.
Suppose I find a WLAN Router that will work with PPTP (instead of PPPoE which most ISPs use), will everything work fine with Airport Express? Or is there any trouble ahead?
( Last edited by D'Espice; Oct 29, 2004 at 06:53 PM. )

MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2004, 11:29 PM

it should work fine i have been able to get on any net work with it so far even some that have been made specificly for pc I am not an expert on it but i know that the extreme was designed to work with almost anything as long as it isnt an 'A' you should be fine.

I have wireless in my one bedroom and i love being able to go any where in the hous on the portch even out side on a nice day and surf the net or transfer files from my i mac wish i had donr it sooner.
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 30, 2004, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by MARINEOSX:
it should work fine i have been able to get on any net work with it so far even some that have been made specificly for pc I am not an expert on it but i know that the extreme was designed to work with almost anything as long as it isnt an 'A' you should be fine.

I have wireless in my one bedroom and i love being able to go any where in the hous on the portch even out side on a nice day and surf the net or transfer files from my i mac wish i had donr it sooner.
Even if he buys an 802.11A wireless router, his ibook will still connect, however it just won't be as fast as it could be. That said, I have an AEBS and AE in my 15" Powerbook, and it's no different on the net than 802.11A. Unless you will be transferring files, between machines, you can save some money by buying an A router or BS.

-Csurfr

Voch
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2004, 05:21 PM

Originally posted by cSurfr:
Even if he buys an 802.11A wireless router, his ibook will still connect, however it just won't be as fast as it could be. That said, I have an AEBS and AE in my 15" Powerbook, and it's no different on the net than 802.11A. Unless you will be transferring files, between machines, you can save some money by buying an A router or BS.

-Csurfr
Actually, an 802.11a based station/router won't work for a Mac with Airport (802.11b) or Airport Extreme (802.11g). Just an 802.11b and an 802.11g base station/router will work. 802.11a is a completely different animal than 802.11b/g.

Voch

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2004, 06:12 PM

Grats D'Espice!!

I have an iBook G4 1ghz which I love... they are a great machine!

Enjoy it!!

D'Espice  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2004, 07:39 PM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
Grats D'Espice!!

I have an iBook G4 1ghz which I love... they are a great machine!

Enjoy it!!

Oh I will. I am already very excited. I'm gonna have to call the Apple store on monday and ask them to ship the iBook and iPod seperately since the iPod has status '5 days' whereas the iBook is '24 hrs'.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2004, 09:06 PM

I just bought a DLink 4-port 802.11G wireless router at BestBuy for $70 minus a $40 mail-in rebate. That's 54Mbps wireless and 4-ethernet ports + a WAN for $30. With my old Dlink 4-port wired router, I can now have a 7-computer network + additional ones. For $30! yay.

Yesterday I relaxed in the backyard hammock while chatting away with friend and listening to music. In all honesty, I feel no need to go to heaven.

D'Espice  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 07:51 AM

w00t!!! My status just got updated, from 'open' to 'shipped'
According to Apple, it may now take up to nine days.

one sick puppy
Nov 3, 2004, 01:58 PM

Excellent! All you need now is a goat, and you can start worshipping the devil like the rest of the cult!

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2004, 10:56 PM

Originally posted by D'Espice:
I just checked, another 256MB are about 60 bucks... thing is, I don't have them 60 bucks right now. So I'll have to live with 256MB for now, I'll be running mostly either Office v. X (not 2004, min. system requirements state at least 512MB of RAM...) or AppleWorks.

I do have another question tho: The iBook has built-in Airport Express so I'm beginning to consider getting a WLAN router. I live in a studio and didn't have no laptops so far so there's really been no need for WLAN.
Suppose I find a WLAN Router that will work with PPTP (instead of PPPoE which most ISPs use), will everything work fine with Airport Express? Or is there any trouble ahead?
I have a stock 1.33GHz 15" PB with 256mb of RAM and the student and teacher edition of microsoft office 2004 works fine.
iamwhor3hay

D'Espice  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2004, 04:54 PM

That is so craptastic. It's 11/10 now and I still don't have it. I've called Apple several times now and every time I got a different answer... thing is that I really need it this week. One of my exams got rescheduled from 12/20 to 12/06 which means I'll really have to start studying for that next week... and in order to do that, I'll need the iBook. I don't get it, how come something they say will ship within the next few days takes more than two weeks to get here?

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2004, 06:42 PM

Yeah I failed a college class one time because my iBook didn't get here soon enough. Be careful.

mikedc1760
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2004, 01:59 PM

Yup, I have the new 1.2 iBook also and I dont think I need any RAM upgrades. I use: iTunes,Office 2004,web surfing,email,and chat......they work fine and run perfect. I was going to get the iBook through Amazon but didnt have the patience to wait so I went to the Apple store and got. This thing is great, and I love it. About the RAm situation I was going to get an extra 512 but its not neccassary,maybe 256. I might just get a wireless linksys router.

D'Espice  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2004, 02:48 PM

Alright I got everything except for the LPT->USB cable now. I got the additional 256MB of RAM (which turned out to be Samsung original, not 3rd party but Original! for 26 bucks ), I got my ADSL WLAN Router now only the iBook is missing. But something's finally happening, TNT picked it up today and I might be able to pick it up tomorrow or on saturday *yay*

hanzo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2004, 08:34 PM

Well... it seems that I may be coming back to the mac community once more! It's been 3 years since I sold my Tibook thinking I'd never come back. I left due to display and performance issues with the Tibook...

Fast forward to the present... the primary reason on giving it another go? Simplicity and security. Having numerous system screwing viruses and driver mixups between M$ and vendors in one year has taken it's toll. Therefore, I'm trying mac once again.

My uses are for office apps, web surfing, email, chat, media viewing/listening, and minimal gaming(although I'm itching to try out WoW, dunno if the 1.3 ibook can handle it...)

I've been researching ibooks and powerbooks for a couple of weeks now. I was leaning towards the g4 15" PB for future-proofing and tiger compatibility, but I figured I'd be kicking myself in da nutz for dropping that much dough only to see it be revised in a couple of months. So I just purchased the 14" ibook from amazon and also 1Gb ram upgrade from OWC. Hopefully they'll both arrive Monday... I'm also hoping that the display doesn't have any dead pixels or defects and that the ram isn't gonna bork up! I know that those are real possibilities. Wish me luck! Hope to contribute to this community real soon!
12" iBook G4 | 1.2Ghz | 1.25Gb RAM
Sony Ericsson P900

D'Espice  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2004, 03:38 AM

Good luck with your new Mac... I just called TNT and according to them, it takes three friggin' days to get that iBook from the Netherlands to Munich. I mean c'mon, that's only like 500 miles but three days? What are they driving with, a Bobby Car?

UPDATE:
HOLY F*CK!!! It just arrived in Munich, them guys just called me and told me I could pick it up. See ya in two hours!
( Last edited by D'Espice; Nov 12, 2004 at 03:44 AM. )

RedDeath
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2004, 10:30 PM

i just got my brand new ibook and ipod last thursday, i ordered it on saturday so it took about 5 days. im lovin it sooo much, im supposed to get a memory upgrade soon. cant wait.

D'Espice  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2004, 11:50 PM

Well I got it and it's very nice indeed. Nice screen (not too small), very fast and even Office v. X and in particular Word v. X is surprisingly stable and even more surprisingly, fast. I didn't even have to disable the Live Word Count for it to be fast

Now I'm having some trouble with the printer, the cable I bought is not working but I already figured out what to do - either an SMC router & printserver for around 40 bucks or I'll see how much the AsanteTalk on eBay will cost. Airport works fine and what I am most amazed about is the noise - there is absolutely none. I cannot even hear the harddrive - that's very nice indeed.

hanzo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2004, 02:20 AM

woohoo!

My order is being fedex'ed right now! I tried ordering through amazon and they just totally foobar'ed the whole process! Plus there is no method to contact them in real-time, either voice or chat. So I canceled those suckas and ordered through the phone with macmall. Those guys are cool! In preparation, yesterday I ordered a gig of ram with OWC, I received that earlier this afternoon! So far, macmall and owc got my business from now on! Hmmn... now to look into a hard drive upgrade. BTW, I decided on the 12"er as well. I want something ULTRA portable so I just figured save 200 or so bucks and buy a better hard drive. Come Monday, I'll be coming back to the fold!
12" iBook G4 | 1.2Ghz | 1.25Gb RAM
Sony Ericsson P900

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2004, 10:42 AM

Viel Spass mit dem Baby !

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules