Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > German radio stations strike "Die Perfekte Welle" off their playlists

German radio stations strike "Die Perfekte Welle" off their playlists (Page 2)
effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Dec 28, 2004, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
I suggest you go visit tagesschau.de ... current death toll at almost 70,000, among them "hundreds" of German tourists. I think it is safe to say that a LOT of people here are directly or indirectly involved in this catastrophe.
Yes. Along with thousands of people from Thailand, India, Sri Lanka, etc. who came to Germany from their respective countries and might still have family/friends in the affected areas - some of which undoubtedly speak and/or understand German as well as the next Kraut ... and all that means I have to agree with the notion that the song shouldn't be played on the radio?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2004, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by OptimusG4:
Are you kidding me? Americans wanted to change the 911 emergency # to something else because it remided them of 9/11 too much. Only in this country can such stupidity exist.
Don't forget Freedom Fries.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

D'Espice  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2004, 06:08 PM

I don't see no point in not playing it. How exactly does it emotionally support families of victims? They have more to worry about than what songs are on the radio (irony is it's not victim's famlies who protested these songs but others, apparantly people with too much free time on their hands). Would the song be about this particular catastrophe or would it mention people getting killed or hurt by waves, I'd agree. But it's not, it's metaphorical about having a good run in life which suddenly stops. It's not about a wave killing people, it's about tagging along, it's about enjoying the wave as long as you can but being aware of the fact that waves are no permanent allies

Nowhere in the song does it mention people getting killed or whatever. It's just plain stupid, it does not help the victims or families. The problem is that people don't understand its meaning and simply assume verbatim meaning instead of metaphorical. Some radio stations even banned other songs by the band "Juli" as well, go figure.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2004, 06:25 PM

Again, D'Espice, the song is NOT BANNED. It's just not played right now.

Some radio stations think it's inappropriate to talk about 60 thousand dead in the news and right after that play a song about "the perfect wave". And I agree with them.

How do you know that Juli disagrees with the radio stations decision? Are they unhappy that their song is not associated with this disaster?

D'Espice  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2004, 06:29 PM

Fine, so it's a temporary ban. It'll be played again in say, six months. Or a year. Or a week. Or whatever. Are the victims alive by then? Will the situation have improved for the families, victims and everybody else? No, it's hypocrisy. The people will still be dead. The families will still be mourning for their lost ones.
Associating a song about a good run in life with this centuries biggest catastrophe is the real problem here. The families and victims have other problems to worry about right now. It's hypocrisy at it's best is what it is.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2004, 06:36 PM

You have difficulties in understanding, don't you. It's NOT A BAN not even a temporary one. Everybody is allowed to play he song; nobody just wants to right now. You call that hypocrisy, others call it decency. It will sure not bring back any of the dead, but making fun of them by playing an ironic song after talking about their death sure doesn't help either.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 28, 2004, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by OptimusG4:
Only in this country can such stupidity exist.
Obviously not.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 28, 2004, 07:17 PM

Originally posted by SubGeniux:
Stupidity at its worst.

A list of "lyrically inappropriate" songs banned from
some US radio stations in the wake of the WTC attacks
I wonder what stations banned them.

None I listed to did.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 28, 2004, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by ambush:

AHAHA PEOPLE GOT KILLED BECAUSE SOMEONE HAD A KNIFE.

AHAHAHAHAH

Oh, wait. That isn't funny.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 28, 2004, 07:21 PM

Just one example.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...io/2872713.stm
That isn't the same as what you stated. Your story is indeed a hoax.
As to the list, no-one denies that the list was written by Clear Channel, the question arises as to what, if any, songs were not actually played. So there you go, you guys are perfectly capable of acting like twats, American stupidity at its best.
\
If anyone in this thread is being a **** Sub, it's you. I promise.

You don't live up to your name very well either.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 28, 2004, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
They said the BAN was a hoax but this list was made by clear-channel and distributed as suggestions. It was picked up by several American news outlets (not Canadian ones), who is stupid now?
You still.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 28, 2004, 07:24 PM

Originally posted by lavar78:
I read the link. If Clear Channel distributed the list, it was clearly a suggestion by definition. If you meant "suggestion" as in something that is supposed to be received as an order without explicitly being one, you have a point.
Eh, there is a difference between saying a group suggested a ban, and saying radio stations actually banned said songs.

The first is true (Barely). The second isn't even close.

Claim: _ Clear Channel Communications banned their American radio stations from playing specified songs in order to avoid offending listeners.

Accordingly, a program director at Clear Channel Communications (an organization which operates over 1,170 radio stations in the United States), after discussions with program directors at several of Clear Channel Radio's stations, compiled an advisory list of songs which stations might wish to avoid playing in the short term:

After and during what was happening in New York and Washington and outside of Pittsburgh, some of our program directors began e-mailing each other about songs and questionable song titles

Given the environment, a Clear Channel program director took it upon himself to identify a number of songs that certain markets or individuals may find insensitive today. This was not a mandate, nor was the list generated out of the corporate radio offices. It was a grassroots effort that was apparently circulated among program directors.

Note that The New York Times posits a smaller, earlier version of the list did originate in Clear Channel's corporate offices:

Others in the Clear Channel network . . . said that a smaller list of questionable songs was originally generated by the corporate office, but an overzealous regional executive began contributing suggestions and circulating the list via e-mail, where it continued to grow.

Other than some rather questionable choices of songs, the only thing remarkable about this list is that so many sensation-hungry news outlets
(And ignorant internet forum members that spout off anything with looking it up first)
have attempted to spin it as an outrageous mandate by Clear Channel to "ban" certain songs from the airwaves. Clear Channel did not issue the list to their stations as a directive mandating that the listed songs not be played, as Robert Hilburn noted in the Los Angeles Times:
The Clear Channel list is apparently not a flat prohibition against these songs by the nation's largest chain of radio stations. They are simply recordings whose appropriateness has been questioned by individual program direct

Radio personnel were still free to make their own programming decisions,and the list was merely intended as helpful advisory information. For example, a program director scanning a list of song titles might not immediately recall that the lyrics to James Taylor's "Fire and Rain" are widely perceived as referring to a plane crash which supposedly claimed the life of his girlfiend (they don't), but the title's appearance on the list might help call that to mind.

So yes, it is untrue,

You believers should look up facts before making asses out of yourselves.
( Last edited by Zimphire; Dec 28, 2004 at 07:31 PM. )

D'Espice  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2004, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by TETENAL:
You have difficulties in understanding, don't you. It's NOT A BAN not even a temporary one. Everybody is allowed to play he song; nobody just wants to right now. You call that hypocrisy, others call it decency. It will sure not bring back any of the dead, but making fun of them by playing an ironic song after talking about their death sure doesn't help either.
I know it's not a ban per se. The radio stations simply decided to strike the song off their playlists. I never said it was a ban, dunno who did. But you obviously do not understand the meaning of this particular song. It's NOT about people getting killed by forces of nature. It's not even about people dying. I fail to understand mentioned irony and how exactly playing a song that is not about the incident in question and whose meaning does not relate to the incident in question at all is "making fun of somebody". And how exactly does not playing other songs by this band help? Some even decided not to play "Geile Zeit" by Juli anymore, which is just about having a good time or about somebody who once had a good time.

If you want to follow down that road, go ahead. But please, stop playing songs that mention that somebody is feeling well or even alive. Or has a great time... it's hypocrisy not decency. Decency would be if the radio stations decided to donate an entire days worth of advertising revenue. Or would ask people to donate money and set an example by donating money themselves. That's decency and that would certainly help the victims more than not playing a particular song anymore. That, by definition, is hypocrisy.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2004, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Eh, there is a difference between saying a group suggested a ban, and saying radio stations actually banned said songs.

The first is true (Barely). The second isn't even close.

You believers should look up facts before making asses out of yourselves.
Since you replied to every comment in a separate post, I question why this is directed at the one I wrote. Everything I said is true (as you admit above). I was merely correcting someone else's mistake.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2004, 07:55 PM

Hoax or no hoax, all I know is that AC/DC's "Safe in New York City" is a rockin' tune, and I never heard it on the radio anywhere after Sep 11 2001.

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 28, 2004, 08:13 PM

Originally posted by lavar78:
Since you replied to every comment in a separate post,

Because I only read one post at a time.

I question why this is directed at the one I wrote. Everything I said is true (as you admit above). I was merely correcting someone else's mistake.
You are correct. I apologize.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2004, 08:18 PM

Originally posted by D'Espice:
I never said it was a ban, dunno who did.
Originally posted by D'Espice: Some radio stations even banned other songs by the band "Juli" as well, go figure.

Originally posted by D'Espice: Fine, so it's a temporary ban.

But you obviously do not understand the meaning of this particular song.
I understand it very well, thank you.
I fail to understand mentioned irony.
Others don't, and that's why they refrain from playing this song these days.
It's NOT about people getting killed by forces of nature. It's not even about people dying.
And if it were, it wouldn't be ironic any more, you understand?

Obviously you don't, but that's fine with me. Everybody is free to play the song if he wishes, so please get it and do so.

gerbnl
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 28, 2004, 08:58 PM

Germans sooooo much want to be americans....
These people are Americans. Don't expect anything meaningful or... uh... normalcy...

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 28, 2004, 09:22 PM

Originally posted by gerbnl:
Germans sooooo much want to be americans....
That is a silly statement.

They are just being human.

America isn't a vacuum within itself.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2004, 09:34 PM

My lord looks like someone started his shift and had some catching up to do:

"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2004, 09:41 PM

So that's why things between the two of you have been quiet recently. Well done.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 28, 2004, 10:38 PM

Someone has to come and correct your inane ramblings.
Originally posted by Mastrap:
So that's why things between the two of you have been quiet recently. Well done.
Well done? What did he have to do with me not being on NN the paste few days?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2004, 11:05 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:

Well done? What did he have to do with me not being on NN the paste few days?
Relax, Winston.
I was referring to him having you on ignore. It makes for a happier lounge that way.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 29, 2004, 12:40 AM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
Relax, Winston.
I was referring to him having you on ignore. It makes for a happier lounge that way.
Eh, if fanboys wouldn't be fanboys the lounge would be 10x happier.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 29, 2004, 04:13 AM

Originally posted by effgee:
Yes. Along with thousands of people from Thailand, India, Sri Lanka, etc. who came to Germany from their respective countries and might still have family/friends in the affected areas - some of which undoubtedly speak and/or understand German as well as the next Kraut ... and all that means I have to agree with the notion that the song shouldn't be played on the radio?
Here's what you said in the segment I quoted and was responding to:

Originally posted by effgee:
banning a song from German radio in order to respect the emotional needs of folks living in India, Thailand, etc.

That point becomes irrelevant the moment it's clear that this catastrophe affects tens of thousands right here in Germany, where the FREIWILLIGE SELBSTZENSUR is taking place.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Dec 29, 2004, 06:25 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Here's what you said in the segment I quoted and was responding to ...
Did you also read the rest of my post you quoted? If not here's the gist of it - "I think it's a dumb idea but in the end I don't care much."

IMHO, if these radio stations wanted to do something constructive, rather than temporarily/voluntarily/whatever banning songs from their roster, they should collect donations from their listeners - every hour, on the hour. If you've been to/lived in the US, think of the yearly membership drives on NPR. In case they're already doing that (in addition to not playing certaing music) - goodie. If not - in my book - the whole thing is even dumber than I thought.

The fact that I voiced my opinion doesn't mean you have to agree with me - but it also doesn't mean I have to agree with the notion that this is a good idea.

Chill, organ guy - no need to get all riled up.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 29, 2004, 07:10 AM

Forum Links
Forum Rules