Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > 4th and 5th mouse button in Intel Mac?

4th and 5th mouse button in Intel Mac?
D'Espice
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2006, 08:54 PM

Is there a software available that will allow me to use the fourth and fifth button on my Intelli Explorer on an Intel Mac? The Microsoft drivers don't work (only PPC, refuse to start on Intel Macs) and I haven't found anything else yet.
Also, I have three extra buttons on my keyboard which I would like to use, right now they're like the fourth and fifth mouse button - useless and doing nothing. Any hints?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2006, 08:57 PM

El Mago
Mar 9, 2006, 07:55 AM

Steermouse! I am a big fan of that software...only 20 after trial period.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2006, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
Seconded
I've been using it with my 8-buttons Logitech MX510 for a few months and it works like a charm. This is how a programmable input manager should work.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2006, 10:41 AM

I don't think there's anything out there that'll let you use the extra keys on your keyboard until MS ports their drivers. The author of USB Overdrive said on his web site that he was thinking about adding that support, but it wasn't high on his list. And he's since removed any mention of it from the site.

Interestingly, MS's Mac mouse drivers used to be based on USB Overdrive, but I don't know what their relationship with Montalcini is anymore. At any rate, they tend to make good drivers, and I wouldn't be surprised if they released Intel ones in relatively short order. You may want to just map your extra buttons to Exposé for a few more weeks and hold out for MS before spending money on a mouse driver..

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2006, 10:32 AM

Hey, D'Espice, didja notice that MS released Intel-compatible drivers the day I wrote that? Forums member toddtmw pointed it out in the Intel peripherals sticky thread. Check it out

Forum Links
Forum Rules