Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari stops loading websites and seems to choke on'em

Safari stops loading websites and seems to choke on'em
D'Espice
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2006, 04:52 PM

I have this really weird problem with Safari where it stops loading websites after a while. Happened six times already today, here's what happens: It works fine for sometimes hours, sometimes only minutes. At some point Safari decides not to load anything anymore. Whether it's Google, MacNN, whatnots - nothing works. I can still ping all these websites though and/or open them in other browsers while Safari seems to be choking on them.

Now this really bothers me, it's been like this ever since I got this Mini - never happened on my iBook before. Running 10.4.5 on Mac Mini Core Solo, Safari is v2.0.3 (417.9). Any ideas?

Edit: I tried disabling IPv6 btw, didn't help.
( Last edited by D'Espice; Mar 9, 2006 at 05:10 PM. )
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

D'Espice  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2006, 06:20 PM

C'mon, I can't possibly be the only one with this problem
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2006, 07:09 PM

Trash the prefs and caches ? Stupid suggestion but it could help.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2006, 10:27 AM

I have had this problem for several version of Safari.
When it hangs I just command-. and then command-R. Lots of times that *seems* to load it quickly. Sometimes I may do that 2 or 3 times - when a site was making no progress loading.
If I don't refresh it sometimes will go all the way to the (?60-sec.?) announcement that "the server has stopped responding".

Seems like this is an issue more with my home DSL than when I'm WiFi-ing off some shop's cable system in town (where everthing is snappier).

I thought I remembered (year or more ago) that that people were alleging it was losing network connections a bunch...

Regarding a (?related) other phenomenon: After a slow-loading (at least on DSL) page [ these forums, for ex.] I often get several "errors opening page" - many of which "errors" will not recur if I reload.

Can YOU alleviate the problem by reloading page?

EDIT: PS: I frequently empty caches. (Am loathe to trash prefs if I can avoid it.)
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

Gavin
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2006, 10:29 AM

Sounds like a bug. I'd report it to apple - under the safari menu
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

D'Espice  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2006, 10:43 AM

I already tried deleting the prefs once.... didn't help. I did it again after reading your post last night and it hasn't happened ever since. Let's see

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2006, 01:14 PM

Mine gets this. One page stalls, but open a new tab and others wont load ether. Quiting Safari semes to fix it, but it's a bit inconvenient.

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2006, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by D'Espice
I already tried deleting the prefs once.... didn't help. I did it again after reading your post last night and it hasn't happened ever since. Let's see

Interesting...
Can you tell me exactly what all stuff I'm going to have to reset after trashing prefs? Now that I look at it, there're only 8 pref tabs - none with anything very involved to reset. Might be worth a try... (tho seems too good to be true).
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

radii_22
Mar 13, 2006, 05:04 PM

I've just posted a similar problem. Its weird, because it does not only load some sites very slowly, but it does not load some others at al .

Is that a bug? Hope will be fixed soon. I'm switching to Firefox in the meanwhile.
--->>> Karate is only for defense

Orion27
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2006, 10:32 PM

I have this really weird problem with Safari where it stops loading websites after a while. Happened six times already today, here's what happens: It works fine for sometimes hours, sometimes only minutes. At some point Safari decides not to load anything anymore. Whether it's Google, MacNN, whatnots - nothing works. I can still ping all these websites though and/or open them in other browsers while Safari seems to be choking on them.

Now this really bothers me, it's been like this ever since I got this Mini - never happened on my iBook before. Running 10.4.5 on Mac Mini Core Solo, Safari is v2.0.3 (417.9). Any ideas?

If you manually type in your ISP DNS Server Address it will solve your problem.

Orion27
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2006, 10:42 PM

Network slowness -- More fixes; turning off IPv6 can solve other networking problems A workaround we've previously noted for other networking problems -- entering a usable DNS address to the Mac OS X's TCP/IP settings -- has proven successful for resolving some network slowness issues under Mac OS X 10.4.5.

Many times your ISP's specific DNS addresses can be found in in the on-router configuration file, usually accessible via the URL "192.168.1.1." (check your router manual for more information).

With manually entered DNS addresses, Mac OS X does not have to take the extra step of locating the servers and hence processes more DNS query requests on the first try.

MacFixIt reader Florian Hotzinger writes:

"I recently upgraded to Tiger and to 10.4.5. I also experienced slow internet performance (i.e. slow web page loading). Disabling IPv6 didn't help but the slow web page loading smelled like a DNS problem. So I manually added the primary DNS server of my ISP to Mac OS X's TCP IP settings and everything was back to normal."

Entering the ISP DNS Address worked for me, while disabling IPv6 alone did not.

D'Espice  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2006, 02:01 PM

Here's an update:

Trashing the prefs didn't help, the problem occured again the very next morning. No go.
Disabling IPv6 didn't help either
And I already have entered both, my ISP's DNS as well as my Wireless Router's IP to my TCP/IP config in OS X - so this is not the problem either, it's always been like that and has only recently started to behave this way (my iBook never did it, it only happened with the Intel Mini).

It's not like webpages are slow to load, they're incredibly fast as long as it works... but at some point they simply stop, Safari doesn't load anything anymore (I left it running all night long last night, you may guess whether Safari resumed loading the website or not ), I have to restart Safari then everything's fine again. And this is really bothering me.

Orion27
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2006, 03:20 PM

Here's an update:

Trashing the prefs didn't help, the problem occured again the very next morning. No go.
Disabling IPv6 didn't help either
And I already have entered both, my ISP's DNS as well as my Wireless Router's IP to my TCP/IP config in OS X - so this is not the problem either, it's always been like that and has only recently started to behave this way (my iBook never did it, it only happened with the Intel Mini).

It's not like webpages are slow to load, they're incredibly fast as long as it works... but at some point they simply stop, Safari doesn't load anything anymore (I left it running all night long last night, you may guess whether Safari resumed loading the website or not ), I have to restart Safari then everything's fine again. And this is really bothering me.
Sound's like OS X doesn't like your router. What router do you have?

D'Espice  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2006, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Orion27
Sound's like OS X doesn't like your router. What router do you have?
I have an Acer router but it's definitely not an OS X <-> router incompatibility either. I've been using this router for almost two years now and never had this problem. Not with 10.3 on my iBook, not with 10.4 on my iBook (incl. 10.4.5) but only with 10.4.5 on my Intel Mac. And it's not even an OS X issue per se, it's only Safari - other browsers work fine and do not have this problem, I can also still ping websites after Safari stopped loading them (even while Safari is still trying to load them I open Terminal and ping any website I want - they all work), so you see it's not a problem with the OS but only Safari

radii_22
Mar 15, 2006, 07:59 PM

I have the same problem : only Safari, only 10.4.5. In the support forums of Apple site, they said it could be a problem with keychains (you got to move your system.keychain to other location and then test Safari). That worked for some people, not for me. That fixed the trouble with https.

I hope we can find out a solution.

Good luck!
--->>> Karate is only for defense

tim westaway
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2006, 05:55 PM

Safari has been choking on both of my macs and there is no article about this bug on the net.

Has anyone reported this bug to apple or whoever is making the Safari Updates, because I've been waiting a fix for this for a long time always when I loaded those Safari updates.

It's not even the constant choking of Safari that's bothering me, but the thing that if you had any downloads going on they would finish as they were, most likely half way through and give no possibility of continuing the download. I hope you guys noticed this? Because it took me a long time to figure out how and why sometimes a 10mb file would convert (stop) to 5mb file. Then I found out it was the choking causing this.
This is why with every download I have to make notes to Textedit about how big the file was when I started downloading it.

Seriously, this is something that should immediately be patched and I'm wondering why it hasn't? Has anyone found a cure/solution for this?
( Last edited by abcd2000; Jun 2, 2006 at 06:05 PM. )

Walker
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2006, 09:33 AM

Don't overlook the possiblity that your router is failing. I had a linksys router that worked perfectly for 2 years when I suddenly started having similar/worse problems than your having. My last resort was to replace the router and the internet has been working great ever since.

jpassan64
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2006, 11:16 AM

Any solutions on this yet? My Safari has been doing the same thing for quite a while. It is not an OS X, router, or network problem. This is purely Safari.

cold aspiration
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2006, 04:31 PM

Exact same problem here. In the same wireless network. I started having this problem with my new MBP but not with my g4 ibook. Going to try the IP router thing...

kick52
Baninated
Jul 8, 2006, 04:45 PM

i sometimes get this, im guessing its my crappy dial-up ISP.

krx
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 8, 2006, 08:50 PM

I have this really weird problem with Safari where it stops loading websites after a while.
Is this the same as getting really long hang times on Safari after it's been open for awhile? If so, this has been addressed on other threads here. The consensus seems to be that the problem stems from a memory leak in Safari. The solution seems to be to quit and relaunch Safari when it starts acting up.

jpassan64
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2006, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by krx
Is this the same as getting really long hang times on Safari after it's been open for awhile? If so, this has been addressed on other threads here. The consensus seems to be that the problem stems from a memory leak in Safari. The solution seems to be to quit and relaunch Safari when it starts acting up.
I don't think this is the same. This started happening with 10.4.6 and has not changed with the latest update. Safari does not need to be open for any length of time for it to hang. It may not be affecting everyone, but it's made Safari unusable for me.

cold aspiration
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 9, 2006, 05:02 AM

so firefox and other browsers are not getting this problem??

pliny
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2006, 10:29 AM

this is a problem with my safari as well, it's bad. i just use another browser.
i look in your general direction

jpassan64
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2006, 11:24 AM

No problems with Firefox. It seems to happen, but to a lesser extent, with Shiira. I'm just sticking with Camino for now, although it troubles me that the default Apple browser is having such problems without a fix. I'm sure there are many new Mac users who do not know what to make of the behavior or that there are options available.

cold aspiration
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 9, 2006, 03:08 PM

where did you find the preferences file?

toasty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2006, 03:55 PM

Had the exact same problem as D'Espice described over the past 3 days. Been using my iBook for almost 6 months and not had a single glitch with anything on it and then Safari started being extremely temperamental.

I tried all of the fixes listed in the thread, but nothing corrected the problem. At best Safari behaves normally for 10 minutes and then simply tells me every 'server is not responding'.

Today I gave up trying to get it working and downloaded another browser(Opera). So far everything has worked fine. I really like Safari and would like to use it again.

Further to the comments made above I noticed that when Safari stalls that I have the exact same symptoms when it tries to view a local html file as a website.

Lava Lamp Freak
Sep 15, 2006, 05:09 PM

I have same problem with both Firefox and Camino. After a few hours either browser gets up to about 300mb real memory usage, and I can no longer load any web pages. Actually I can't even access menu items such as Quit. I am forced to do a Fore Quit. I'm on a Dual G5.

hndsmman
Sep 15, 2006, 11:56 PM

well I tried Camino, same problem and Safari or Camino won't let me go to the page to download Firefox

Snowfie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2007, 01:15 PM

I have the same problem with both Safari and Firefox. It started as soon as I upgraded to Firefox 2. It seems like a virus to me.

I'll try the solutions suggested and see if things change. I've already fixed disk permissions and emptied caches. I've also trashed preferences. Didn't work.

Lava Lamp Freak
Jun 13, 2007, 06:32 PM

Has anyone figured out what is causing this? I still have the same problem. I have to force quit Firefox at least once, but sometimes two or three times a day. I'm on a different computer now than I was last time I posted in this thread. I was on a G5 before, and now I'm on an Intel MacBook Pro. So it isn't a machine specific issue.

Snowfie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2007, 11:16 AM

After many hours of troubleshooting, I figured out it was a router issue. It was a Netgear WGT624v3 router. I had to re-set the router and open some ports. What router are you using?

Lava Lamp Freak
Jun 22, 2007, 05:10 PM

I have an Airport Extreme. Mine isn't a router issue. I'm on a different computer, different router, different mode, and live in a different town and house since I started having the problem. I'll post a screenshot next time it happens. The issue is that style sheets and images quit loading, and menu items and links quit working. Its like the browser just craps out. I used to think it was a memory issue, but now I'm seeing it happen with normal memory usage. I haven't tried Camino since last year, but had the same problem with it. I've not tried Safari either, but since everyone here is having the problem in Safari, it seems to me to be something greater than any one browser. This is an OS level problem. Maybe it'll be fixed in Leopard.

Forum Links
Forum Rules