Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Scrolling in NeoOffice/J and word completion?

Scrolling in NeoOffice/J and word completion?
D'Espice
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2007, 01:59 PM

During the last two weeks I've been experimenting a lot with word processors in order to find a word alternative and ended up with NeoOffice/J. Now I have one last question: Besides Word 2004, NeoOffice/J is so far the only word processor that does not develop an ugly lag when documents (or paragraphs... yes Mellel, I'm talking to you!) get longer. However scrolling in NeoOffice is horrible. I'm running it on a PowerBook G3/400 Pismo, 1.024MB of memory, OS X 10.4.9. Is there any way to improve scrolling performance? Right now it's click, wait three seconds, check results, click again, etc. It's really disturbing. Can scrolling be improved somehow? Or do I have to live with it (in other words, since this is really unbearable, once again return to Word).

Also, where to I turn off this word completion thingy feature?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

mike555
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2007, 06:08 PM

I don't know for sure about scrolling ,but you can adjust NeoOffice to speed it up , by going into tools ,
On the left panel of the options window, select "Memory" and make the following changes in the right panel:

1)- In the Undo section, set "Number of steps" to 10.

2)- In the Graphics Cache section set "Use for OpenOffice.org" to 128 MB, and set "Memory per object" to 20 MB.

3)- In the Cache for inserted objects section, set "Number of objects" to 20.

4)-if you use OpenOffice a lot , you might want to ;
Click the checkbox for "OpenOffice.org Quickstarter".
- if you don't use it a lot don't click it .

-Once you are done with these changes, click "OK" to save them. The will not take effect until you restart the Word Processor again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules