Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > 802.11g already .11b compatible?

802.11g already .11b compatible?
sledsbehave
Senior User
Jan 10, 2008, 01:56 AM

so i finally upgraded to a belkin .11g router and it has a "mixed 11g and 11b" setting. i was under the impression 802.11g was backwards compatible with 802.11b without being in mixed mode.

am i wrong about this?

if i want .11b to work, do i have to be in mixed mode?
as ever,
sonny

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 10, 2008, 03:31 PM

I'd have to check the documentation, but I think what you get in "G only" mode is a network that won't allow B clients to connect. I could be wrong-the G standard is supposed to be backward compatible, but that doesn't mean that all equipment is fully compliant. Give it a try in "G" mode and see if your older stuff connects. I should point out that a lot of older B stuff doesn't support WPA, meaning that it's not at all secure (WEP is worthless, by the way). It's a good idea to make sure all your equipment supports WPA for the sake of your data's security-original AirPort cards, for instance, are usually compatible with a firmware upgrade, but a lot of other B hardware isn't and can never be compatible with WPA.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2008, 08:16 PM

"G Only" means just what it says: while the spectrum is the same, allowing B clients ona G network will slow things down. If you need to support both B and G use that setting. If you have an open network, allow B clients or you'll confuse folks.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 13, 2008, 08:38 PM

Most G routers made in the last four or five years have been able to handle both B and G traffic without perceptible loss of speed for G clients. N equipment is starting to be able to do this too. It means having some extra radio hardware in the box and some extra programming, but it works and so it's pretty much omnipresent.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2008, 10:03 PM

Really? I suppise they channel the low speed stuff down and run the high speed adjacent but not quite touching. My home netowrk (which is old: I'm poor) has a -big- drop as soon as my Quicksilver or Pismo get on it.

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2008, 10:04 PM

And all the typos are the fault of my keyboard too...

Forum Links
Forum Rules