Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Speeding up Windows 2000 in Virtual PC 6

Speeding up Windows 2000 in Virtual PC 6
D'Espice
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2003, 01:39 PM

For some (actually a lot) of university stuff, I have to run Windows 2000 in a Virtual PC 6 session, however it's kinda slow. Now I do realize that Virtual PC isn't fast or anything but sometimes running Windows 2000 can be a real PITA.
I have a PowerMac G4/450 with 704MB of RAM running OS X 10.2.4. I can't run OS 9 due to the fact that I have a 2*40GB software RAID and installing OS 9 would result in a disaster and data massacre. I've assigned 256MB to Win2k which is more than enough.

Is there maybe anything I can do to speed up VPC/Win2k, maybe some Windows setting or something? Anything?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

t_hah
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2003, 05:17 PM

One way you can probaby speed it up is by reducing the Win Desktop size, or color depth. You won't get much of a speed boost. VPC is just a dog.

t

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2003, 06:08 PM

VPC is not a dog. Emulating a different processor is not easy and takes a lot of CPU time. If you want to see a dog, take a look at BOCHS.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2003, 08:49 PM

Also try turning off sound in VPC. This helps a little bit.

As you might expect, VPC performance is directly related to the CPU speed of your Mac. The faster your processor, the better of an experience VPC is. Runs fairly well on my Dual 800MHz G4 and my 1GHz TiBook. A 450MHz processor is probably being pushed to the max.

D'Espice  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2003, 10:25 PM

I realize that my processor isn't the fastest available and it's not a dual CPU PowerMac which makes a huge difference in VPC (one CPU is used for emulation, the other for Mac OS X overhead).
So basically, there's nothing I can do, is there? Sound has been always off, I don't need Windows sound and color depth doesn't seem to make any difference at all.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

ngrundy
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2003, 10:16 AM

turn off all the extra/un-needed visual stuff like the fading menus. this one even makes a win2k box on native hardware respond faster.
1Ghz Powerbook
40gb/1x512mb/combo/T68i
FireRAID 1 Host Independant Hotswap RAID 1 (80gb)

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2003, 12:15 PM

In addition to the solid advice above to turn off fading menus, you should find that response on the desktop improves if you go to Folder Options and choose "Conventional Windows Desktop" under Active Desktop and "Conventional Windows Folders" under Web Display.

(Note: Pardon me if the terminology varies slightly. I'm using the Japanese version of Windows 2000 and am not sure of the exact words used for these Windows options in the English version.)

kvm_mkdb
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2003, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by D'Espice:
Is there maybe anything I can do to speed up VPC/Win2k, maybe some Windows setting or something? Anything?
http://www.fox2k.net/2ktweaks/system_speed_tweaks.htm

Forum Links
Forum Rules