Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > TV behaving weird - any technicians around?

TV behaving weird - any technicians around?
D'Espice
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2004, 02:14 PM

My TV started doin' some weird shat today... I rearranged my furniture in my apartment. So far, I've had the TV on a trolley that came with it, including the center speaker. The TV has a 4.1 sound system hence the center.

Anyways, I rearranged some stuff today and got rid of said trolley and put the TV on a small cupboard, kinda like a chest of drawers but without the drawers
Right next to the TV is my stereo, on top of the TV is the DVD-Player, on top of that the two speakers of my stereo (they're going up on the wall, just didn't have time to do that yet) and on top of them's the TV's center speaker. So here's what it looks like now:

You can't see the DVD-player on that pic since the cat is sitting in front of it, it's right under the two speakers.

The TV offers me the possibility to either use the internal front speakers or external ones. I decided to hook up the stereo's speakers to the stereo as well as to the TV, assuming they're way better than the internal ones. However I couldn't find any information about the TV's impendance, the speakers are 4 Ohm. I hooked everything up, all was working fine and the sound was indeed better.
Next I hooked up my computer to one of the SCART connector, just the video cable, no sound since the computer is connected to the Aux port of the stereo either way. All of a sudden there was a very loud buzzing noise from the speakers. I tried the other SCART connector, same effect. I tried the Video-in connector and still, very loud buzzing noise. A bit scared I disconnected the stereo's speakers from the TV and have'em connected just to the stereo now. Yet the internal speakers seemed to have gotten belly-up at that point, I didn't hear a thing. The center was still working two.

That changed about twenty minutes ago. I was watching TV, all of a sudden I hear a cracking noise and that was it. The TV is making no sound at all anymore, nothing. The center speaker itself is fine tho, hooked it up to the stereo for a sec and it was working fine. So it's definitely something inside the TV that's broken. Neither the internal nor the center nor the external speakers make any noise anymore. Any ideas what might have gotten wrong? And was it my fault (meh, I could live with that just curious) or could that easily be coincidence? The TV's barely three years old, unfortunatelly warranty expired about a year ago... hence I'd have get it repaired and pay for it. It would make things easier if I could pinpoint the problem tho.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Aug 30, 2004, 02:18 PM

That is the most retarded setup I have ever seen in my life.

Your front L and R are in the centre and you have a plant that needs WATERING on top of the stereo with grills on top.

Is that cat your acting sub woofer or something?

"Hello, what have we here?

hayesk
Aug 30, 2004, 02:19 PM

Sounds like you have a ground loop somewhere.

SVass
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2004, 02:21 PM

I'm not a technician-I am an electrical engineer. ALWAYS connect the audio output from the TV to an audio input on your stereo. Some stereos have TV audio inputs and some have auxiliary inputs. Either should work. Connecting directly to speakers can overload or short circuit the audio output circuit. sam

D'Espice  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2004, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by SVass:
I'm not a technician-I am an electrical engineer. ALWAYS connect the audio output from the TV to an audio input on your stereo. Some stereos have TV audio inputs and some have auxiliary inputs. Either should work. Connecting directly to speakers can overload or short circuit the audio output circuit. sam
Damn, that may have happened. However the TV does offer me the possibility to connect the speakers directly to it, rear as same as additional front speakers and the center. I do not have the possibility to connect the TV to the auxiliary input of my stereo since I don't have an audio output as such but just the connectors for two additional front speakers.

@Landos Mustache:
Thanks... I live in a studio and don't have that much space available. As I said, the stereo's speakers are supposed to go up on the wall tomorrow, just didn't have time to do that today. The front L and R are actually not those two large speakers anymore but I'm using the TV's internal speakers - which have gone belly-up few hours ago.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

KaBlooey
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2004, 03:13 PM

This might have nothing to do with anything, but yesterday I hooked up my new DVD player to the TV and got a loud buzzing from one of the speakers. Turns out in my haste I hooked up an audio connector to a video plug or vice versa. So can't hurt to be crystal-clear that your connections are kosher.

If you aren't completely appalled, then you haven't been paying attention.

Forum Links
Forum Rules