Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > 8 MB buffer: how much does it help on a hard drive?

8 MB buffer: how much does it help on a hard drive?
sledsbehave
Senior User
Jul 22, 2005, 01:55 AM

i just noticed my main video hard drive doesn't seem to have a buffer at all.

how much would it help to have an 8MB buffer on a hard drive when capturing vhs through my canopus advc-100?

will this help with dropped frames?
as ever,
sonny

OogaBooga
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2005, 09:46 AM

All hard disks made within the last 15 or so years have a buffer.

When doing video work, the hard disk speed is very important. I'd say a couple of Maxtor 300gb 16mb buffer drives in RAID 0 would be fast enough for most video.

Usually, a larger buffer means faster random small file reads/writes while a faster RPM means faster sustained reads/writes.

Now only if the Raptors had a 16mb cache...

sledsbehave  (op)
Senior User
Jul 22, 2005, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by OogaBooga
All hard disks made within the last 15 or so years have a buffer.

When doing video work, the hard disk speed is very important. I'd say a couple of Maxtor 300gb 16mb buffer drives in RAID 0 would be fast enough for most video.

Usually, a larger buffer means faster random small file reads/writes while a faster RPM means faster sustained reads/writes.

Now only if the Raptors had a 16mb cache...
so basically with large files, such as capturing video, it will make no difference?

i realize a faster RPM is important and my system won't work with the drive you suggested.

what i'm looking at his a western digital 8MB buffer 7200RPM 160GB.

is there a brand that is just made for video caputure?

it would have to be IDE and i'm using a gigabit G4 so size is limited to 128GB.

i currently have a seagate 60GB 7200rpm, and i would be replacing the original IBM 20GB drive.
as ever,
sonny

brother337
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2005, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by sledsbehave
so basically with large files, such as capturing video, it will make no difference?

i realize a faster RPM is important and my system won't work with the drive you suggested.

what i'm looking at his a western digital 8MB buffer 7200RPM 160GB.

is there a brand that is just made for video caputure?

it would have to be IDE and i'm using a gigabit G4 so size is limited to 128GB.

i currently have a seagate 60GB 7200rpm, and i would be replacing the original IBM 20GB drive.
The 8meg buffer does help, but you really shouldn't have any problems with any 7200 rpm drive (even those with a 2mb buffer) if you're only working with DV. You can capture and edit video quite capably on a 4200 rpm drive so any 7200 rpm drive is just going to work better than that.

That being said, I have the 80 gig Western Digital drive with the 8meg buffer and it works fantastically for video.
15" MacBook Pro Core2Duo 2.33
160gig PMR HD / 2 GB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules