Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Reviving my old PowerBook G3 (Wallstreet)

Reviving my old PowerBook G3 (Wallstreet)
D'Espice
Mac Elite
May 11, 2007, 10:39 AM

Now that it's been in the basement for almost half a year I have decided to once again try to resuscicate my old PowerBook G3/233 (Wallstreet, 2. Gen). Here's why it needs to be reanimated in the first place:

Besides an empty battery (both, the actual battery plus the PRAM battery) it was running just fine. Then some day last summer my girlfriend was working on a text and, after she was done with it, put it to sleep. And that's where it remained, there was no way of ever booting it up again. When pressing the power button, it makes an interesting noise that kinda resembles a miniature machine gun. It actually keeps making that horrible sound as long as the button is pressed - once released it stops yet refuses to boot.
I've already replaced the PMU last summer but it didn't solve the problem. Anyone got any ideas what this might possibly be?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2007, 12:14 PM

Remove the battery and attempt to start it up, if a no go, attempt to start it up via a bootable CD.

There is a chance the hard drive is crashed.

D'Espice  (op)
Mac Elite
May 11, 2007, 12:37 PM

If it was THAT simple there would've been no need for me to post here

I don't even get as far as booting - I get the sound it makes while pressing the on/off button but it won't start up at all. It stays off and there seems to be no possibility to turn it on. I've removed the battery, removed the harddrive (which is not dead btw because I just moved it over to my current laptop which I am using as we speak), removed the optical drive, the pram battery, the modem, tried different memory sticks that are known to work (again, I am using those in my current laptop), etc. pp.

Nothing seems to have made any kind of impression on my PowerBook though
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
May 11, 2007, 12:39 PM

Uh oh. I had one of those. Your mileage may vary (and I hope it does!) but it was a fried logic board. Yank the ram. Attempt to restart, you should hear a series of beeps, I forget how many. That would be good, it would mean that the logic board is at least able to start the POST test. Is there a reset button on the back of that?

D'Espice  (op)
Mac Elite
May 11, 2007, 03:06 PM

I just realized that it might be the power supply after all. I just plugged in my Wallstreet and it did what I expected it to do. After that, I used the same power supply to plug in my old PowerBook 1400 (I only have one power supply for both laptops - it's the same) and it did the same thing!

I'll be getting a new power supply with my Pismo next week - then I'll give it another go.

D'Espice  (op)
Mac Elite
May 16, 2007, 04:03 PM

Heureka! It's the power supply! I tried my Pismo's power supply today and BAM, there it was, booting as if nothing was ever wrong

Thanks everybody for your help, I'm just glad it's not broken... actually I think my girlfriend is the one who's really glad it's not broken

Forum Links
Forum Rules