Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New mini -- upgrade questions

New mini -- upgrade questions
skybolt
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 21, 2007, 09:32 AM

Bought a used mini (Intel core duo) from a friend to use as a second machine. Love it! Wondering what parts are user upgradable, if any. RAM, HDD, combo drive, etc. Looked around on Apple's site, but could find no info for a non-current machine.

Also, are there any tutorials as to how to accomplish some of these things? Going to check to see when the warranty runs out, and will not attempt any user modifications at least until then, but thought I'd ask and be ready in advance.

Any info is appreciated! Thanks!
( Last edited by skybolt; Sep 21, 2007 at 09:39 AM. )
Mary

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2007, 09:51 AM

1.) Go to Tech Center at OtherWorldComputing.com and click on the Intel Mac mini hard drive/memory upgrade for a very nice video and what tools to use.

2.) forums.123macmini.com are your friend. There are people over there who upgraded their 1.5 GHz Core Solo mini to a 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo with 3 GB RAM.

3.) You can upgrade the hard drive, memory and processor. The processor is very expensive, $450 or so for a 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo. The RAM should be upgraded to 2 GB which costs only $75 or so shipped from NewEgg (PC5300 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 MHz.) And the hard drive can be any SATA 2.5". I bought the Hitachi 200 GB 7200 RPM 16 MB cache for $210.

skybolt  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 21, 2007, 10:22 AM

Wow! Thanks for the really quick reply! I will look into all of this. Really glad to know about the forum.
Mary

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2007, 12:52 PM

None of the parts (except maybe RAM) are 'user-upgradeable' in the sense that they won't void your warranty. But the CPU, RAM, HDD, and optical drive can all be upgraded.

CPU upgrades for your Mac mini at Newegg.
Memory upgrades for your Mac mini at Newegg. (I recommend Crucial, but other brands will work)
Hard drive upgrades for your Mac mini at Newegg. (I recommend Seagate, but other brands will work)
Someone has a slim slot-loading BluRay drive (which would work in the Mac mini), but I forget who.

Forum Links
Forum Rules