Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Lag? Latency? Need help please

Lag? Latency? Need help please
Madison
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 9, 2009, 07:15 PM

Hi all,

Okay, I've been playing rFactor for about 6 months now and am enjoying it. I had been playing on my Laptop (2.0ghz dual core Core 2 Duo, built-in video) on external monitor. Anyway, about a month ago I picked up a dell Dimension 2300 for free. 2.0ghz P4, 1ghz RAM (max), and a 256mb PCI video card. Now, my problem. I can run the game without too much trouble, I can refresh the server list okay, but when I join a server, I go to type a password, and it takes 30 seconds to type 6 letters due to the lag, latency, whatever the issue is. Same thing when I get in the game, in-game chat is nearly unusable. Any ideas? I'm on a wireless network (so was the laptop), but I've tried it with an ethernet cable too, and it's done the same thing. I'm VERY new to PCs, so I don't know what to do.

I pinged the server from the RUN command, and the average was 96ms wired and wireless.

Any and all help is appreciated,

Thanks,

Tom

Forum Links
Forum Rules