Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > What should G5 dual 2.3 normal operating temperature be?

What should G5 dual 2.3 normal operating temperature be?
mediahound
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2005, 04:42 PM

What should the G5 dual 2.3 normal operating temperature be?

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2005, 05:47 PM

If you do a search on "temperature" or "fan speed" at the G5 discussion forum at Apple's website you can find tons of info. Somewhere in one of those threads there's a link to a discussion site (elsewhere) where many folks have posted their routine operating temps.

Another option is to download ThermographX (find it at versiontracker.com). It contains information provided by other users that you can compare to what your system is producing.

mediahound  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2005, 12:44 AM

Thanks. Unfortunetly ThermographX doesn't support my machine (dual 2.3).

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2005, 03:04 AM

I don't know why ThermographX wouldn't run on your DP 2.3, but I like Hardware Monitor much more anyway. Give it a try. In any event, the rule of thumb is, if the Mac's fans are moderately audible most of the time, your Mac is too hot. Make sure it is properly ventilated. But if the fans accelerate only occasionally and are quiet the rest of the time, you don't have to worry.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Bandit240
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2005, 04:21 PM

how about a 1ghz, dual MDD? Ive got a widget off of apples site that says it stays 130*F or 56.6*C all the time. if it gets a little hotter in this room it will rise about 3*, but never more. i can always hear the fan running on it.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2005, 12:01 PM

Mediahound: my guess is somewhere between the 2.0 and 2.5 machines.

Which is to say: don't be surprised if you see CPU temperatures in the 170 farenheit range
and don't be shocked at the backside of the memory controller hitting 200 plus degrees.

hotani
Senior User
Sep 21, 2005, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bandit240
how about a 1ghz, dual MDD? Ive got a widget off of apples site that says it stays 130*F or 56.6*C all the time. if it gets a little hotter in this room it will rise about 3*, but never more. i can always hear the fan running on it.
My dual 867 typically runs at 59 - 60C. But I replaced the hair-dryer (AKA CPU fan) with something quieter that isn't *quite* strong enough to propel the box across the floor. Unfortunately its cooling ability is a bit less.
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

Bandit240
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 21, 2005, 06:08 PM

Id like to keep it running cool since it lives in a small(13ft x 15ft) room with 2 other computers that run alot. Hopefully replacing the CRT monitor with a LCD will help keep the heat down.

Forum Links
Forum Rules