Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Recommendations on video card upgrade?

Recommendations on video card upgrade?
azukizero
Sep 18, 2005, 06:44 PM

Hi,

I would like to upgrade my video card but I'd like some advice on which to choose and where to buy. The current card I have now is the ATI card that came with my G5 (dual 1.8). It has a whopping 64mb on it.

I will be getting a Dell 24" LCD to accompany this and I've put aside a few hundred dollars for a good video card. I game occasionally and wouldn't mind a card that doesn't drop to a lame frame rate when the action heats up. Although I don't game as much as before, I'm primarily interested in holding a comfortable resolution for my Dell monitor.

All recommendations are appreciated!

EFFENDI
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2005, 06:48 PM

I have heard good things about the Radeon X850XT

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2005, 07:39 PM

A less expensive choice would be the Radeon 9800. At some point this month ATI is supposed to be dropping their prices, so that the X800 is about $399 and the 9800 Pro is $299 (I think).

crooner
Senior User
Sep 19, 2005, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by EFFENDI
I have heard good things about the Radeon X850XT
I'm pretty sure that the Mac version of the 850 XT is only available as an OEM BTO part on G5 systems. The 800 XT, on the other hand, is a great card, can run an Apple 30" Apple Cinema Display and does not block any PCI slots. Its fan is also nearly silent.

Other than that, the Special Edition 9800 (256MB - G5 only) is a great option.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

azukizero  (op)
Sep 19, 2005, 10:30 AM

thanks for the recommendations.

Where is the best place to buy any of these cards? Any special deals out there?

thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules