Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Want to buy a Gig of memory for my Dual 2.3..

Want to buy a Gig of memory for my Dual 2.3..
msb0014
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2005, 11:12 AM

What is the best type for this (i.e. speed and quality) and where on line is good to buy.

Thanks,
Matt

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2005, 12:51 PM

The specific type you want is specified in your G5's manual; I don't recall the specs offhand. You'll want to make sur ethat the RAM you buy is certified for use in the G5. Good sources include Crucial, Ramjet, or Kingston. Many past threads on this very topic. I just bought an extra gig for my G5 from Ramjet. It's working just fine. One thing you should do after installing any new RAM is to run the memory test from the DVD that came with your machine.

mediahound
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2005, 01:29 PM

i bought some from:
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/

i believe it's Techworks brand which i think has a good reputation. get RAM that has a lifetime warranty.

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2005, 05:36 PM

Full test from the hardware test disc is a SUPER reminder. That's a good way to put the RAM through its' paces. The company I work for got all gooey when they saw that some of the Mac sales places will toss in 'free' RAM when you purchase a machine, so that's what I got. The computer was acting weird, not stable, yet the short hardware test came up with nothing. It was only the long test, took over half an hour, that the RAM errors started showing up.

For what its worth, Crucial RAM has never ever let me down. I like their website, their shipping is affordable and reliable, and I have never had a 'bad' stick from them.

dark3lf
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2005, 10:05 PM

Another vote for Crucial.

hldan
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2005, 12:42 AM

I'm still preaching the word about RamJet. I have the new Dual 2.3Ghz G5 and bought 2GB DDR 400 from RamJet. Their ram is not only fully tested and designed espeically for Apple Computers but their ram chips for the G5 have a cool metal grip so fingers don't touch the ram circuit board while installing. I have had zero problems with my G5 and absolutely no kernal panics.
http://www.ramjet.com/ItemDescription.asp?Item=G5E1G
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2005, 02:00 AM

My personal preferences are either Crucial or OWC. Both have excellent warranties and (at least for me) good customer service. I've bought tons of memory from Crucial over the years with no problems. I buy a lot of other items from OWC (HD cases, accelerators, video cards, etc) and also have not had any problems with them.

msb0014  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2005, 01:08 PM

I went and ordered - Samsung 1GB PC3200 CAS 3.0 DDR 400MHz - I may have paid a little more for the name but I figure if I spent $2500 on this machine I might as well put in high octane!

Thanks for the comments they helped.

Matt

Forum Links
Forum Rules