Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Apple, Dell, other LCD's?

Apple, Dell, other LCD's?
bbales
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2005, 06:06 PM

I'm finally getting ready to replace an old (5 years) studio display (15-inch) with a shiny new LCD. I know people here rave about the Apple display and about a Dell. Any others that people are using -- and that they LIKE and trust? I'd love an apple, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra cash. I've seen some good things about the Sony, but heck, they're not much cheaper than an Apple. I'm looking probably for a 19-inch; I figure if I'm getting a new one, I might as well get one that will hold me a while.

By the way, I did try a search, but got an error message, sevral times.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2005, 06:09 PM

Wrong forum.

Dell seems to be pretty good quality and very good price-wise if you can get a coupon. If you want a 19", I recommend either the Apple or Dell 20" display. Dell's 19" is old and not that good. There's also Samsung, their prices should be between Dell and Apple.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2005, 06:30 PM

I got a 17" Samsung LCD and I'm very happy with it.

bbales  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2005, 09:37 AM

Hmmm -- Just realized, as Thinine said, this is the wrong forum. Sorry! But I was having much difficulty with MacNN last night when I first posted this -- I SWEAR I was on peripherals at the time.

Anyone have any experience with Sonys? I think I may be giving it more credit than it might be worth.

Moderator -- can you move to proper forum? Thanks.

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2005, 09:45 AM

Dell has a 20" LCD monitor that uses the same LCD panel as Apple's offering. Dell's is a couple hundred bucks cheaper as well, and can rotate to portrait orientation.

Having said that, I bought the Apple monitor anyway. It just looks too damn good, and matches the G5 oh so nicely. So I freely admit choosing form over function.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2005, 10:28 AM

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 19, 2005, 06:05 PM

I think Sony displays are of high quality -- but way overpriced. You can get the same quality for a lot less money.

Samsung makes great LCDs. Apple uses Samsung flat panels extensively, and Samsung's own models are great, too.

tooki

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 19, 2005, 11:33 PM

Samsung has been involved with manufacturing the UltraSharp line of Dell displays for years. I splurged on one in the 19" 1280x1024 size a few years ago. I haven't looked anywhere else since. I've since given the 19" (1902FP I think) to mom, and I have both 20" Dells, the wide and the regular. They are everything they should be, bright and colorful and very sharp. I've used TONS of LCDs through work and friends, and the Dell UltraSharps are better and more consistent than any others at the price.

I'm currently waiting for Apple to send me my second replacement pair of 23"s at work. The first ones sucked, the 'fixed' ones sucked differently, and I'm optimistic that the third time will indeed be the charm. The pink overall cast and left 1/3rd stripe on the 23"s is not a myth. These Apple displays are supposedly SWOP certified for soft proofing (with the right software). I was dismayed to find uneven backlighting with a delta-E of 12 in the quarter tone grayscale on the 'fixed' ones. Not acceptable for what they cost.

teney7
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 20, 2005, 12:18 AM

Are dell's 15'' and 17'' outdated like their 19''?
is there a noticeable difference in b/n the reg. and ultrasharp LCDs?
Switched 7/7/05
12'' PowerBook G4 with AirPort Express, still goin' strong

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 20, 2005, 01:53 AM

FWIW, the 20" widescreen Dell uses the same LG/Philips flat panel as the Apple 20" Cinema Display, but at 1/2 the cost...

tooki

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 20, 2005, 08:01 AM

Teney7, what do you mean by "outdated" in reference to Dell 19" displays? And which model in particular are you talking about?

There IS a noticable difference (depending on the resolution you select) between normal and UltraSharp Dell displays; the UltraSharp displays are indeed noticably sharper looking in their native resolution than normal displays in their own native resolution.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

teney7
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 20, 2005, 09:55 AM

Earlier in the thread, Thinine said that Dell's 19'' is "old and not that good", I dunno what model.
( Last edited by teney7; Oct 20, 2005 at 10:11 PM. )
Switched 7/7/05

teney7
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 20, 2005, 11:40 AM

i hate double posts
Switched 7/7/05

bbales  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2005, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
FWIW, the 20" widescreen Dell uses the same LG/Philips flat panel as the Apple 20" Cinema Display, but at 1/2 the cost...

tooki

My nephew just told me the same thing yesterday. He told me to save hundreds, get the Dell and forget aesthetics.

Of course, I couldn't find any deals right now, but I'm sure if I wait oh, a few days, I'll be able to do so. What a wacky way of doing business.

Another question -- do people prefer the widescreen over the more traditional screen? You can tell it's been a LONG time since I bought a monitor/display.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 20, 2005, 04:00 PM

It's on sale for just under $400 right now. Google "dell coupons" and you'll find dozens of sites with the same coupon codes.

I agree that the coupons are a horrific hassle.

tooki

bbales  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2005, 04:43 PM

Thanks -- found some I'd missed the first time around, though others seemed used up. I definitely need to go to a real store and see how I like widescreen vs. traditional that I'm used to.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2005, 04:48 PM

I just sold my old Apple 15" and got a Samsung 19" for about US$95 out of pocket. Screen's really nice. And my mini likes it more. Playing Unreal on it, it's much faster than the Apple 15.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Blakhawkg3
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2005, 09:39 PM

I just got a dell ultrasharp 1905FP for my 12" Rev C powerbook and I love it. I don't see how the 19" is outdated, though...

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2005, 11:23 PM

After the price drop earlier this week, I went out today and got an Apple 23" flatscreen. It's a thing of beauty, truly.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2005, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Blakhawkg3
I just got a dell ultrasharp 1905FP for my 12" Rev C powerbook and I love it. I don't see how the 19" is outdated, though...
I have the same panel, and I love it as well. Perhaps they are talking about its modest resolution compared to the 20" model?
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

bbales  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2005, 09:37 AM

With regards to Dell and APple using the same supplier: I'm getting a new refrigerator. I'm getting a Sears Kenmore, but it's made by Amana. And I'm perfectly fine with not having the Amana name, b/c I know it's the same manufacturer. So why does it make a difference to me that I'll probably get a Dell whjen I'd really rather have the Apple? It's curious. But money is money.

crooner
Senior User
Oct 21, 2005, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Ron Goodman
After the price drop earlier this week, I went out today and got an Apple 23" flatscreen. It's a thing of beauty, truly.
Are you seeing any of the color issues on your display that have been reported so frequently on these and other forums? From all that I’ve read, it seems that Apple still has yet to truly fix the problem of hue shifting in the 23" model.

It was this reason (along with the great sale price) that I got two Dell 24" widescreens instead. They kick arse.

Oh yeah... "one more thing..."
on Wednesday, as soon as Apple dropped the price, I bought my 30" Apple Cinema Display to go in between the two Dells!

I am in display heaven, man! As soon as I clean up my pigsty of an office I'll post some pics of the setup in the PowerMac pictures thread. The 30" is unbelievably cool.
( Last edited by crooner; Oct 21, 2005 at 04:59 PM. )

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

itguy05
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2005, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by bbales
With regards to Dell and APple using the same supplier: I'm getting a new refrigerator. I'm getting a Sears Kenmore, but it's made by Amana. And I'm perfectly fine with not having the Amana name, b/c I know it's the same manufacturer. So why does it make a difference to me that I'll probably get a Dell whjen I'd really rather have the Apple? It's curious. But money is money.
Amana is a division of Maytag, which is soon to be a division of Whirlpool.

But that's surprising as IIRC Whirlpool made most (if not all) of the Kenmore refrigerators.

However, you couldn't pay me to take a Dell anything. Even if they shipped it to me with a $1,000 check taped to it. I hate Dell with a passion and would never send them a penny. They have pretty much ruined the computer industry similar to how Wal-Mart ruined retailing in the USA.

That being said, I'd buy any other display other than Dell. The Apple may be pricey, but they are certainly cool.

The only problem is that few make widescreen displays.

Forum Links
Forum Rules