Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Office v.X vs Office 2004 on Tiger

Office v.X vs Office 2004 on Tiger
kennedy
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2005, 06:54 AM

I am running Tiger. I am trying to decide whether I should upgrade from Office v.X to Office 2004?

1) I know for a while Office 2004 was very buggy, esp. Word on Tiger. Is that still true? Or have newer service packs fixed that?

2) Is there a list of feature additions in Office 2004 (vs. Office v.X)? I can't find one.

Thanks.
Mac Nut since before color Macs, working for UT Austin Microcenter supporting Mac users

nbnz
Senior User
Nov 9, 2005, 07:12 AM

I'm still running Office v.X and see no reason to upgrade at this time, especially to a version that is 18 months old (2004 was released May 11, 2004). None of the new features were essential for me.

MS does have a 30 day "test drive" for Office 2004.
iMac, Intel Core-Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB, OS X 10.4
PowerBook 12", 867MHz, 640MB, 60GB, OS X 10.4
iMac G3, 333MHz, 288MB, 6GB, OS X 10.3
iPods: 3G iPod, 1G mini, 1G shuffle, 2G nano

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 9, 2005, 09:51 AM

I've had no trouble with Office 2004 on Tiger -- very few people have. But I only upgraded because I got 2004 from school. It's a relatively small feature upgrade, so if v.X works for you, I don't see any reason to upgrade.

tooki

-Q-
Nov 9, 2005, 11:04 AM

Just give my personal perspective, I only upgraded to 2004 b/c of the 'improvements' in Entourage connecting to an exchange server (the improvements weren't quite what they were made out to be, but overall they did make things a bit better). Otherwise, I really don't think any of the features make it worth the cost unless you can't get it cheaply (or free) through school or work.

And if Office v.X is working for you now, you may as well wait until January for Macworld. I'd imagine MS will show off their next version around that time.

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2005, 11:18 AM

The exchange compatibility has been a definite plus for me at work. Beyond that, I'd say there aren't many significant new features of note (apart from maybe the "Project Center" in Entourage), but I have found Office 2004 to be much more interoperable with Windoze Office than its predecessors. Much fewer problems in moving documents and ppt files back and forth without loss of information.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2005, 01:55 PM

I have been very happy with Word 2004, but I can still get it to crash whenever I close a notebook document in the background. The main reason I upgraded was because I wanted to notebook feature so I could record my classes. It has worked flawlessly so far.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

jasong
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2005, 02:13 PM

I also only upgraded because I got it for free, but I have found that Word and Excel use a lot less processor time when they are sitting there doing nothing.

That wouldn't be enough to get me to pay, but maybe you'll find that important.
-- Jason

Forum Links
Forum Rules