Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Problem with burning files to a DVD-R in 10.4.2

Problem with burning files to a DVD-R in 10.4.2
jszrules
Senior User
Aug 31, 2005, 06:24 PM

Hi, Every time I try to burn data files to a DVD-R with the Finder, it makes it through the burn process but prematurely ejects during the verification process and generates this message:

"This disc did not verify correctly and is unreliable. Because this disc is unreliable, discard it and try again using a new, blank disc. (Error code 0x80020063)"

Using a 15'' Flat-panel 800 MHz iMac G4 with Tiger 10.4.2. So far, the DVD-R brands I have tried are FujiFilm 8x, RiData 8x, Teon 8x.....and get this...even Apple 8x.

I looked at my System Profiler and according to http://www.apple.com/hardware/superdrive/, I have the latest SuperDrive update (Pioneer DVR-104 A227).

From what you can tell, is this a hardware problem? Should I not be using 8x DVD-Rs even though the update claims it should be fine? Or is there something wrong with the files I am trying to copy and burn to the discs? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Butch Hauke
Aug 31, 2005, 10:14 PM

Some things I would try:

1) Burn to 4X media and see if the problem persists
2) Use third party burning software (such as Toast) to see if it reports the same errors with 8X media.
3) Confirm for yourself whether the files that have been burnt to the DVD are actually bad or not.

Butch
iMac Aluminum 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/20"/4GB RAM
iPod touch 16Gb (Black Diamond) in an iSkin touch
AppleTV 40GB / Koss KSC-75

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Sep 1, 2005, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Butch Hauke
2) Use third party burning software (such as Toast) to see if it reports the same errors with 8X media.
Used Toast Titanium 6 on both RiData 8x and Apple 8x and two minutes into the burn, each experienced a different error. For the Apple disc:

"The Drive Reported an Error. Illegal Request. Sense code = 0x72, 0x05. SESSION FIXATION ERROR."

For the RiData disc:

"The Drive Reported an Error. Illegal Request. Sense code = 0x21, 0x02. BUFFER UNDERRUN."

Any ideas on what the heck is going on?

3) Confirm for yourself whether the files that have been burnt to the DVD are actually bad or not.
How do I do that?

Thanks.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2005, 09:10 AM

Your software is up to date and you've tried more than one disc. You can try reinstalling the OS, but it sounds to me like you need a drive replacement.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Butch Hauke
Sep 1, 2005, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Your software is up to date and you've tried more than one disc. You can try reinstalling the OS, but it sounds to me like you need a drive replacement.
Yep, I'd have to agree with Big Mac. Looks like you may have a bad drive. You could try some 4X media, but I really don't see what difference that would make.

Butch
iMac Aluminum 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/20"/4GB RAM
iPod touch 16Gb (Black Diamond) in an iSkin touch
AppleTV 40GB / Koss KSC-75

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Sep 1, 2005, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Butch Hauke
Yep, I'd have to agree with Big Mac. Looks like you may have a bad drive. You could try some 4X media, but I really don't see what difference that would make.
Now if I could only find a place that sells them in packs of less than 10...

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Oct 13, 2005, 11:13 PM

I just want to ask this again...
Is there any way for me to tell if the problem is not with my drive, but with the files I am trying to burn?
I think I remember when I tried to burn files back when "Burn Folders" with aliases didn't exist, the computer would let me know if a certain file was not burn-able, and I would just be able to remove it from the burn. But with "Burn Folders" and aliases, I am not sure if this actually happens anymore. So my problem could very well be with files, but there is no way for me to tell which files are the problem. Right???
Thanks.

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2005, 12:55 AM

I've had a similar problem with an aftermarket Superdrive and it turned out to be the media. Depending on how picky your burner is, if you buy the Office Depot/OfficeMax/el cheapo brand discs, be prepared to burn a lot of coasters at the full 8X. Burning at 4X seemed to alleviate the coastering.

Now, has anyone actually tried the new 16X discs at 8X despite those warning labels and WITHOUT upgrading the firmware?

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Oct 14, 2005, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by alphasubzero949
I've had a similar problem with an aftermarket Superdrive and it turned out to be the media. Depending on how picky your burner is, if you buy the Office Depot/OfficeMax/el cheapo brand discs, be prepared to burn a lot of coasters at the full 8X. Burning at 4X seemed to alleviate the coastering.
But no matter what speed DVD I put in the drive, it only gives me the option of burning at 1x anyway, so what does it matter?

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Oct 22, 2005, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by jszrules
But no matter what speed DVD I put in the drive, it only gives me the option of burning at 1x anyway, so what does it matter?
Right?

Sorry to keep bumping this thread, but there are lots of files on my computer I would like to back up, so I want to solve this problem.

I also noticed that one of the RiData 8x DVD-Rs I successfully burned a few months ago with a few gigs of files is now being spit back out by the drive. This can't be good.

Thanks.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2005, 02:57 PM

Could be a similar issue to this one ?

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2005, 04:56 PM

No, that refers to the Matushita UJ-816, a powerbook drive. If the drive is spitting out disks that were previously fine it has to be hardware related. Are you still under warranty? Contact Apple ASAP. If not, Newegg, OWC and Tiger Direct have good prices on replacement drives.

If you insert one of the disks that were spat out before finishing into a DVD drive, does it mount on desktop? If so can you open it and see the files? If it doe not mount, they are not readable.

osxrules
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 22, 2005, 08:05 PM

If it's an external drive, check that your firewire or usb cable isn't damaged. You just have to get another cable to check or maybe use it with another device. I have an external Firewire LG DVD burner and an Apple super-drive and they've never made a single coaster using Toast under 10.3 up to 10.4.2. I burn DVD-Rs at 4x usually, though the LG supports 8x. The crappy super-drive burns everything at 2x.

I wouldn't try to use higher than 4x. 4x DVD is like 52x CD or something. The problems you have make it hard to make sure what's going on. The fact that it's doing the same thing with various brands makes it sound like hardware. The fact that it's burning at 1x suggests incompatible discs or old firmware. The errors can suggest a bad drive connection.

If you're really unlucky, it may be all 3. I've heard bad media can actually damage your drive so it might be possible that's what has happened. Hardware diagnostic tools are few on the Mac. What you could do is to get a copy of techtool pro 4 for Tiger and analyse a disc in the drive. It should give you some diagnostics on the drive.

If you get to the end of your tether with it, I'd suggest returning the drive and maybe getting a different one. Like I say, I have an LG-GSA 4120B 8x DVD-R, 12x DVD+R, 4x DVD+/-RW, 5x DVD-Ram, DL support. It cost about £80 but you can get it at about half that online. Then I put it in a generic firewire and USB case from a local PC shop that I got for £40. Again cheaper online. With firewire, you don't need drivers so the case doesn't matter - just the choice of IDE drive. So I reckon you could get a similar drive these days for about £50-60.

I like having two drives anyway because I can copy discs and I always have a backup if something goes wrong.

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Oct 23, 2005, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by jmiddel
If you insert one of the disks that were spat out before finishing into a DVD drive, does it mount on desktop? If so can you open it and see the files? If it doe not mount, they are not readable.
It does not mount. It gets spit back out. This is a Ri-Data 8x DVD-R disc that made it thru the burn process, but crapped out during the verification process. When I try to insert it again, it gets spit back. Does this help narrow down the problem at all?

Originally Posted by osxrules
If it's an external drive, check that your firewire or usb cable isn't damaged. You just have to get another cable to check or maybe use it with another device. I have an external Firewire LG DVD burner and an Apple super-drive and they've never made a single coaster using Toast under 10.3 up to 10.4.2. I burn DVD-Rs at 4x usually, though the LG supports 8x. The crappy super-drive burns everything at 2x.

I wouldn't try to use higher than 4x. 4x DVD is like 52x CD or something. The problems you have make it hard to make sure what's going on. The fact that it's doing the same thing with various brands makes it sound like hardware. The fact that it's burning at 1x suggests incompatible discs or old firmware. The errors can suggest a bad drive connection.

If you're really unlucky, it may be all 3. I've heard bad media can actually damage your drive so it might be possible that's what has happened. Hardware diagnostic tools are few on the Mac. What you could do is to get a copy of techtool pro 4 for Tiger and analyse a disc in the drive. It should give you some diagnostics on the drive.

If you get to the end of your tether with it, I'd suggest returning the drive and maybe getting a different one. Like I say, I have an LG-GSA 4120B 8x DVD-R, 12x DVD+R, 4x DVD+/-RW, 5x DVD-Ram, DL support. It cost about £80 but you can get it at about half that online. Then I put it in a generic firewire and USB case from a local PC shop that I got for £40. Again cheaper online. With firewire, you don't need drivers so the case doesn't matter - just the choice of IDE drive. So I reckon you could get a similar drive these days for about £50-60.

I like having two drives anyway because I can copy discs and I always have a backup if something goes wrong.
Thanks for your comprehensive answer. The drive is not external. Also, I think that since my "desklamp" iMac is a 15'' 800 MHz (it is one of the first superdrives), the superdrive is only made to go up to 1x? Correct? I still havent found and 4x or lower DVD-Rs to test, but more frequently, 8x DVD-R's keep getting spit back out, which didn't happen a few months ago. Thanks again.

Tsilou B.
Senior User
Oct 23, 2005, 06:25 PM

Also, I think that since my "desklamp" iMac is a 15'' 800 MHz (it is one of the first superdrives), the superdrive is only made to go up to 1x? Correct?
Your drive supports 2x, too, but only if you use 2x media. With 1x, 4x, 8x, 12x etc. media, it only goes up to 1x.

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Nov 20, 2005, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by osxrules
Hardware diagnostic tools are few on the Mac. What you could do is to get a copy of techtool pro 4 for Tiger and analyse a disc in the drive. It should give you some diagnostics on the drive.
I've read a good amount of threads where people seem to be complaining about problems that TechTool causes. Would you still recommend I use it to diagnose my stubborn SuperDrive? Thanks.

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 21, 2005, 10:22 AM

I'd been having the same problem on DVD-R, CD-R, and CD-RW on my superdrive-equipped G5. Apple had me do various pointless things like re-install the operating system, to no avail. Eventually got them to ship me a replacement superdrive, which has been just peachy. With your older machine warranty isn't likely an option, so your best bet might be to shell out for a new drive.

You could try one of those lens cleaner thingies first.

osxrules
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 21, 2005, 12:17 PM

I've read a good amount of threads where people seem to be complaining about problems that TechTool causes. Would you still recommend I use it to diagnose my stubborn SuperDrive? Thanks.
I have a superdrive in my Mac Mini and an external firewire HD and an external firewire dvd burner, OS 10.4.3 and Techtool hasn't caused me any problems. Just use the latest version.

If you have a hardware test CD with your OS, that might be better first.

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Dec 20, 2005, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Boochie
You could try one of those lens cleaner thingies first.
What's a lens cleaner thingy? How does it work?

The burnt DVDs that don't load on my iMac show up just fine on other Macs, so it's definitely a drive problem. If the lens cleaner thingy doesn't work, I'll just skip TechTool and get a new external drive. Thanks again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules