Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Cisco VPN Problems

Cisco VPN Problems
dv64villa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2005, 04:12 PM

Hello,
I am having a problem with Cisco’s VPN client. I can log into it ok, but when I try to access my window network I get error messages and it doesn’t allow me to attach. I tried both afp and smb. I am running 10.4.3 and the latest cisco vpn client for mac os x. When I am not connected to the vpn, I can access these file shares with no problem. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

nuggetman
Forum Regular
Dec 21, 2005, 05:18 PM

my somewhat limited experience w/ the cisco vpn client thus far have shown it to be a POS

can you use your VPN via the VPN option in the Internet Connect program in your /Applications folder

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2005, 06:19 PM

I concur with the above statement re: POS.

However, could you post some details about the error messages?

J

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2005, 08:16 PM

By "windows network" do you mean something on your own LAN at home, or at your company? If the former, you might need to configure for a "split" setup, in which network traffic bound for your company's network goes through the VPN extensions and that bound elsewhere (LAN, Internet) doesn't.

Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2006, 10:09 PM

My experience with the Cisco VPN client is only a few days old, so my help is minimal, but it's offered nonetheless.

nuggetman: can you use your VPN via the VPN option in the Internet Connect program in your /Applications folder?

No, he can't. This is because the Cisco VPN client is used when a business makes the (bad) decision to use their Cisco box as a concentrator / VPN gateway, and this is (bad) proprietary. It doesn't support the standard VPN flavor.

I don't do Windows, but I can suggest that you debug the problem this way:

(1) At the office figure out a script of things (both vanilla TCP/IP and Windows actions) which work. For example, use your web browser to see the company's employee directory, ping the internal build machine or IT's patch server, etc. Mounth that SAMBA drive, etc. Write down exactly what you've done.

(2) At home, with the Cisco VPN client *off* verifiy that all this fails.

(3) With the client *on* try the TCP/IP stuff first. They ought to work if the Cisco box is properly configured and you're actually corrected. Then try the windows things which worked. Do they still fail? In what way(s)? Tell your IT guys or us. Details count.

Good luck. I feel your pain.
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

Forum Links
Forum Rules