Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Need some advice about running parallels....

Need some advice about running parallels....
bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2008, 09:53 PM

Hey guys, currently I have an MBP CoreDuo 2ghz w/ 2gb of RAM, and the 128mb video card. My main use is videos from the web, emails, Word, Pages iweb and parallels. What I want to know is, if I get the base macbook today from the store, and then I went to Newegg and got that pair of 2gb mem chips for a total of 4gb of memory, would parallels run OK? I'm only running an antivirus client NOD32 I use to scan usb hard drives, and utorrent for downloads in XP. Would it work just fine? Would the macbook w/4gb of memory run itunes, mail, camino, parallels, and be just as good as my mbp w/ 2gb?

I called and talked to someone at my local apple store and they seemed to be trying to tell me that despite the macbooks having the same processors as the current mbp's that it wouldnt work that great for parallels.

I'm pretty confident it will, but I wanted to check with the borg before buying and selling my current setup.
( Last edited by bishopazrael; Jan 9, 2008 at 10:00 PM. )
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Jan 9, 2008, 10:00 PM

unless you're running some sort of 3d programs inside parallels (which isn't possible as far as i know since 3d isn't supported) you should be fine. In fact, the C2D MB might be a little faster than the 1st gen MBP, especially with an additional 2GB RAM.

Smillz
Jan 9, 2008, 10:34 PM

The MB should be plenty fast enough

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2008, 02:07 AM

i got a macbook two weeks ago with 4gb of ram with the intention of running some windows apps through parallel. I assigned 1gb for windows xp and it has been working really well. The fan runs a little bit loud for about a minute or so then it will just slow down by itself.

Forum Links
Forum Rules