Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Quicken 2007 under Yosemite?

Quicken 2007 under Yosemite?
Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 22, 2014, 04:50 PM

I was optimistic that Quicken 2015 would be an adequate replacement for my trusty Q2007, but no such luck - it can't do loan amortizations, a rather basic financial calculation that Quicken has been able to do for the better part of two decades. So I'll be stuck with Q2007 for now, at least until Intuit updates it. It is the one thing holding me back from upgrading my iMac to Yosemite, as I'm not sure if it'll work properly. My web searches have not been fruitful, coming back to a few threads in Intuit's user forum with no authoritative information from Intuit itself. So, are there any Quicken 2007 users out there who have taken the Yosemite plunge? If so, does it work properly?

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Oct 22, 2014, 05:07 PM

While not definitive, I broke out the old installation CD of Quicken 2007, and despite the CD claiming that the app was a UB, Yosemite seems to think that it's not, and only PPC.

That's all I've got.

Boochie  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 22, 2014, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Wuerthele View Post
While not definitive, I broke out the old installation CD of Quicken 2007, and despite the CD claiming that the app was a UB, Yosemite seems to think that it's not, and only PPC.

That's all I've got.
Mike, thanks. Intuit actually released an update a few years back to enable Quicken to run under Lion (which did away with Rosetta). So it has worked fine under Lion and Mavericks, I'm just wondering whether "Quicken for Lion", which is Intel code, will function under Yosemite given the various UI and other changes.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 22, 2014, 05:36 PM

Install Yosemite on a spare partition, and check. With the OS free today, there's no penalty if it doesn't work. That would also let you check the rest of your software for anything unexpected.

Boochie  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 22, 2014, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Install Yosemite on a spare partition, and check. With the OS free today, there's no penalty if it doesn't work. That would also let you check the rest of your software for anything unexpected.
Thanks, that's a good idea. Can I add a small partition without having to whack my existing OS?

reader50
Administrator
Oct 22, 2014, 06:49 PM

In theory, you can adjust your existing partition down (free space permitting) to create a new one. Boot Camp does this upon installation. In practice, adjusting the boot partition makes me nervous.

Got an external drive handy? Even a USB flash drive will do. It would run slowly, but it would work and let you test compatibility.

Boochie  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 22, 2014, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
In theory, you can adjust your existing partition down (free space permitting) to create a new one. Boot Camp does this upon installation. In practice, adjusting the boot partition makes me nervous.

Got an external drive handy? Even a USB flash drive will do. It would run slowly, but it would work and let you test compatibility.
Great idea - I have an old external drive that became too small for backup purposes that will fit the bill nicely. Thanks!

Boochie  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 23, 2014, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Boochie View Post
Great idea - I have an old external drive that became too small for backup purposes that will fit the bill nicely. Thanks!
reader50, great advice, and a successful experiment. From what I could tell, it works just fine with one cosmetic issue - register windows won't go all the way up to the edge of the toolbar like they should, there seems to be an invisible 50 pixel barrier (which I had read about with regards to Yosemite betas). But that's a small downside relative to having to use Quicken 2015, which just plain can't do the things I need. Unfortunately, a choice between functional and non-functional deficiencies, if you will.

Forum Links
Forum Rules