Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Classic speed in Panther

Classic speed in Panther
opsotta
Forum Regular
Jul 5, 2003, 11:35 AM

Since the new System called Panther will be faster in all areas (through a more optimized compiler), I wonder how this relates to the Classic-Environment when running in OS X. Will Apple still try to improve it? Right now it slows down Jaguar significantly when running.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2003, 12:47 PM

I thought there wasent going to be any classic in Panther.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 5, 2003, 01:51 PM

Nonsense, Classic's there, and now has a handy menu bar doobie for quick access.

tooki

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2003, 09:09 PM

No classic? OS9 will not come with panther, but classic support is guaranteed for at least several more years (I'd say 5 more).

The OS9 people are clinging hard to their OSes not using OSX, but eventually, there will be OSX that cannot run classic in any way.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 22, 2003, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
Nonsense, Classic's there, and now has a handy menu bar doobie for quick access.

tooki
handy menu bar for doobie accsess? Click it and get a fat joint delivered to your door - iSpliff?, iToke?...... sorry.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2003, 05:50 AM

Also, Classic windows in Panther are now double-buffered (at last!), meaning you no longer get the eraser effect when dragging a Classic window through something semi-transparent, like the Dock.

Much more pleasant.

I wouldn't raise your hopes too much for Classic using less CPU, btw -- running two OSes at once is just going to take its toll. The best solution I've found when needing Classic (less and less these days, thankfully) is (1) lots of RAM, and (2) shutting it down or letting it go to sleep -- which is does after a few minutes when no Classic apps are open -- when not in use.
( Last edited by lookmark; Aug 18, 2003 at 05:57 AM. )

pbjudge
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2003, 03:34 AM

I installed Panther on an iBook 600 that was running OS10.2.8. I did a clean install and wiped the disk clean.

All seems fine, but classic won't open. When I try, it says that I don't have a version of OS9 that will work with classic.

This confuses me. How can I get classic to work? I need it sometimes...

dagaz
Nov 24, 2003, 06:47 AM

Originally posted by pbjudge:
I installed Panther on an iBook 600 that was running OS10.2.8. I did a clean install and wiped the disk clean.

All seems fine, but classic won't open. When I try, it says that I don't have a version of OS9 that will work with classic.

This confuses me. How can I get classic to work? I need it sometimes...

You need to re-install OS9 after wiping your hard drive and to do that you need to have selected the "Install OS9 drivers" checkbox when you deleted the hard drive.
Not compatible with Windows

pbjudge
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2003, 06:51 AM

Originally posted by dagaz:
You need to re-install OS9 after wiping your hard drive and to do that you need to have selected the "Install OS9 drivers" checkbox when you deleted the hard drive.
Thanks Dagaz. Missed that. I will try again.

Arigatou!

- PJ
24"2.33Ghz iMac, 500G Hdisk, running OS 10.5; iPhone 3G 16G

pbjudge
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2003, 11:26 AM

I tried to perform a clean install, but since the computer had been through a Software Update, bringing it up to 10.3.3, the Install disc would not work saying that since the system was later than the one I was trying to install, it was not permitted.

How can I reinstall over a later (updated) system?

pbjudge
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2003, 11:26 AM

I tried to perform a clean install, but since the computer had been through a Software Update, bringing it up to 10.3.3, the Install disc would not work saying that since the system was later than the one I was trying to install, it was not permitted.

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 26, 2003, 03:22 AM

10.3.3? You click either 'customize' or 'options,' forget which one. BUT: If you have a version of Classic older then 9.1, it will not work with the Classic environment. Free upgrades are downloadable from apple [to 9.1, and then to 9.2.1, and then to 9.2.2].
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

pbjudge
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2003, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by ryaxnb:
10.3.3? You click either 'customize' or 'options,' forget which one. BUT: If you have a version of Classic older then 9.1, it will not work with the Classic environment. Free upgrades are downloadable from apple [to 9.1, and then to 9.2.1, and then to 9.2.2].
Opps! I meant OS 10.3.1 on the computer and the instal discs with 10.3.0. Anyway, since I did NOT instal the OS9 option when I did a clean install of Panther, I need to try again, but it won't let me - saying that since the the computer's system is more recent, I cannot use my upgrade discs. What can I do to get OS 9/Classic working on my computer?

HELP! URGENT!

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 26, 2003, 02:43 PM

Opps! I meant OS 10.3.1 on the computer and the instal discs with 10.3.0. Anyway, since I did NOT instal the OS9 option when I did a clean install of Panther, I need to try again, but it won't let me - saying that since the the computer's system is more recent, I cannot use my upgrade discs. What can I do to get OS 9/Classic working on my computer?

HELP! URGENT!
I told you, click Customize or Options (forget which) in the Installer, and choose clan install.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

Forum Links
Forum Rules