Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Thoughts on the best puter screen

Thoughts on the best puter screen
el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2010, 02:50 PM

… .
( Last edited by el chupacabra; Jan 5, 2024 at 12:39 AM. )

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2010, 03:29 PM

NEC are good.
As are Eizo.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2010, 04:21 PM

I used on of the apple LCDs for 6 weeks and liked it, but wouldn't buy one because of the glass front. I have a dell WFP2407 at home that I like but prefer the apple gamut or color settings that I can't seem to duplicate on the Dell panel. A lot of the colors seem over saturated.

It terms of technology, look for displays that have IPS or in plane switching panels.

ImpulseResponse

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2010, 07:18 PM

AMOLED sucks. Don't wait for it, especially if you need colour accuracy. I've had good luck with high-end HP products, but not low end.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2010, 07:48 PM

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2010, 01:27 AM

buy an IPS based monitor, they are more expensive but the color gamut (range/depth of color) is far superior to anything else that is out there for a reasonable price. all of apples monitors are IPS (I think) and they are just amazing.

I would LOVE a 30" IPS...

-Zach

OreoCookie
Sep 1, 2010, 03:18 AM

I have an Eizo and I'm very happy with it: great colors (it uses IPS panel) and it's built like a tank. There is a reason Eizo is more expensive than the rest! The first time I grabbed it, I couldn't believe how heavy it was. Plus, you can get them in black

As a rule of thumb: a notebook screen cannot compete with a decent external monitor.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2010, 11:51 PM

I have a Dell U2410. Love it.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2010, 10:59 PM

NEC. If you can affored it, Eizo.

I would not recommend Apple displays: overpriced mirrors.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2010, 07:34 AM

I really had nit noticed that NEC was stll around.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2010, 11:17 AM

I think the hp ZR24w is the least-expensive 24" IPS that you can buy new, though the Dell U2410 can probably be found around the same price. The hp is also the least ugly non-Apple monitor I saw while shopping around for 24-inchers. I like mine just fine, with the only complaint being how slow it is to wake up from display sleep. I should time it sometime, but it takes at least an extra second and a half compared to my MacBook’s built-in LCD.

I think one advantage of the Dell is built-in card readers, and there was one monitor around (I think the Dell, but maybe the other hp) that had 6 USB ports vs. the ZR24w’s 4.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2010, 08:41 PM

15 and 17" MacBook Pros have an anti-glare option. You don't have to suffer with the glossy glass.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2010, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by driven View Post
I really had nit noticed that NEC was stll around.
nec monitor

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2010, 06:05 PM

I just bought this one. Still waiting delivery, but the panel is supposed to be really good. It's 1920x1200, 24", 8-bit S-IPS display. From what I gather, it's LG's e-IPS display with all the bug fixes.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2010, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
I think the hp ZR24w is the least-expensive 24" IPS that you can buy new, though the Dell U2410 can probably be found around the same price. The hp is also the least ugly non-Apple monitor I saw while shopping around for 24-inchers. I like mine just fine, with the only complaint being how slow it is to wake up from display sleep.
Don't forget about the sh*tty plastic stand. Having used an Apple display, they may be overpriced, but damn I miss the aluminum enclosure and smooth motion of the hinge. If they weren't glossy, I'd get one, but I can't stand glossy, so I settled with the HP. I plan on buying a 3rd party aluminum VESA stand.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2010, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Don't forget about the sh*tty plastic stand. Having used an Apple display, they may be overpriced, but damn I miss the aluminum enclosure and smooth motion of the hinge. If they weren't glossy, I'd get one, but I can't stand glossy, so I settled with the HP. I plan on buying a 3rd party aluminum VESA stand.
I would so wish Apple would follow up their 30" display with something in this category.

Their consumer quality model-only policy is terrible.

NECs are great screens. But, boy, are those stands ugly!

Just wonder if one couldn't take that ugly stand off and put an Apple stand on (should be possible to buy that part).

Or use some other third party stand.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2010, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
My desk is such a clusterf*ck of cables that I try not to let my eyes wander below the bottom edge of the monitor. And I don’t reposition the screen that often. So the stand doesn’t bother me that much. I agree that the aluminum base of Apple’s monitors and iMacs is pretty sexay, but IIRC doesn’t allow for height adjustment at all.

I don’t know how much VESA stands cost, but given the $400–500 savings on the hp versus the now-discontinued Apple display of the same size, you could probably get a better stand and still come out ahead, especially if the multiple inputs and USB ports have any value to you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules