Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Dalai Lama's secular teachings

The Dalai Lama's secular teachings
besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 14, 2012, 03:19 PM

Are any of you guys into this stuff?

This is not in the PWL because I don't want to take this in a religious direction, this is not about religion. I'm referring to his general teachings of calming the mind, reducing anxiety, stress, controlling emotions, etc.

If you are, can you please comment on how this has impacted your life?

If you are not into them, please refrain from snippy comments about the Dalai Lama or anything else, I'm not interested in the criticisms of him personally or his teachings from those invested in a religion, I'm just curious to hear from people who have been studying them or had/have some personal experience with them. I don't have any particular opinions, I'm not looking to make a commitment of my own, I'm just curious and intrigued to hear from those that have personal experiences they wish to share as far as how this has affected their lives.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2012, 05:57 PM

I had a friend who took too much acid while he was at university and screwed his head up quite a bit. He was on the verge of being unable to function properly. His mother (who has been into new age stuff for many years) sent him to talk to a Lama (not the Dalai Lama, just one of his deputy Lamas - I have no idea how those guys are set up tbh).

I don't know what he said to him but there was a marked difference afterwards. He's been back to his normal self ever since, though he still wouldn't qualify as most people's idea of normal.

I don't think thats really the sort of thing you were after though is it?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 14, 2012, 06:13 PM

Sure! Any stories that don't banish this thread to the PWL are fair game

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2012, 10:18 PM

The Dalai Lama is very interested in the neuroscience of Buddhist meditation practices, and has encouraged research which seems to show actual changes in the brain after prolonged meditation.

The Links Between the Dalai Lama and Neuroscience : NPR

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2012, 12:27 AM

I'm convinced that's the reason I require less sleep than most (4-5 hours /night). I meditate for 60-90 minutes every day and on the days when I skip it I quickly notice a loss of focus and awareness.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2012, 04:27 AM

You can learn to live on less sleep though. It just becomes a part of your routine. I don't sleep much longer than that and I don't meditate. Margaret Thatcher was said to have gotten down to 2-3 hours a night while she was PM. Ig got down to about 3.5 at one point. I do tend to catch up a bit on weekends.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules