Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Blocked at work

Blocked at work
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2012, 02:46 AM

We seem to be blocked from getting to sites with pagead2.googlesyndication.com links. Any idea how I could get to them using Chrome?

Can't use IE, blocked from accessing the internet on security grounds.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2012, 04:19 AM

There are always ways, but it will still be apparent to your IT department that you are going to these sites or that you are trying to circumvent their blocks, which could result negatively for you depending on the acceptable use policy that you signed. The best way is to talk to your IT department and ask nicely for them to enable access to the sites that you need, or even to ask them to stop restricting access to anything that isn't obviously malicious (our IT department recently opened up access to almost everything except obviously malicious sites after a similar conversation).

Phileas
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2012, 06:25 AM

If you need them for work, talk to the IT people - that would be you, right?

If not, bring your own network. I recently was in a meeting where an old grizzled IT guy looked at my iPad and told me that there was no way he'd allow that "thing" onto "his" network. I just showed him full bars on LTE and told him that "my" network was in all likelihood faster than his.

He was not amused.

Forum Links
Forum Rules