Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > FA Cup

FA Cup
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2015, 06:37 PM

The FA Cup has been at its spectacular best this weekend with many calling the Chelsea-Bradford City result the biggest shock in cup history.

When asked what happened, Mourinho replied "Football happened. And it is beautiful." I admire him tremendously for that.

There really is no other competition like it in the world. Not just in terms of football [soccer] but any sport at all. Very few team sports are so finely balanced that a lesser opponent can cause an upset so there is little point in giving them much opportunity to do so. This is why you put up with the 0-0 draws, because only in such a game can a team of amateur part-timers nick the odd goal with a moment of pure magic or pure luck and triumph against a team at the peak of the global sport.

I think America could create a competition to rival it though. The scale is such that it might have to run less often. Some kind of system where there were stat heats one year and the national cup the next. It would need some sponsorship too so that the odd lower level teams that made it through could afford to travel thousands of miles to play their games, but it could be a truly fascinating and wonderful spectacle. Just imagine the LA Galaxy having to play some non-league pub team from a remote village in Alaska on a frozen pitch.

If a big money sponsor caught a hold of this idea and really ran with it, it could really pay off I think. Maybe Varsity would be best suited to it though they seem a bit dodgy in some respects (I saw a documentary about them once. Was it Penn & Teller?)

This would be a great idea, and it might get more Americans to start to truly understand the beautiful game.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 26, 2015, 07:33 AM

Inb4 soccer vs. American football argument.

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 26, 2015, 07:51 AM

Its not about starting an argument, they are very different in their nature because of the scoring. A competition like I propose wouldn't work so well with American football because the higher scoring nature means its much much more difficult for the underdog to nick a shock win against the big guys. Which is what the FA Cup is all about.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 26, 2015, 12:15 PM

I think football/soccer still has some work to do in order to be popular enough to field such a competition.

There's a far greater gap between MLS and our "lower division" when compared to the EPL/League One, Two, etc.

---

On the Gooner side of things: BAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2015, 03:52 PM

My first ever pro football match was an FA Cup Final at Wembley : Man Utd vs Everton. Whiteside scored the winner and Kevin Moran was sent off - first in an FA Cup Final.

I won't repeat what the Man Utd fans were shouting at the ref when Moran got sent off. Think my Dad still has the program that was scrawled all over by my Grandfather's comments of players.

A glorious competition. No other cup comes close.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 26, 2015, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Its not about starting an argument,
I totally agree. But these discussions rarely go rationally.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 26, 2015, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
A glorious competition. No other cup comes close.
I'm glad you feel that way.

Forum Links
Forum Rules