Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Will there be a new MacPro in 2015 ?

Will there be a new MacPro in 2015 ?
Anto39x
Jan 23, 2015, 05:41 AM

Hi there...

I currently have a MacPro 2010 (Mid 2010), 2 x 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon with 64 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC + 512GB SSD Drive with QTY 3 x 2TB internal drives.

I am looking to upgrade to the new cylindrical MacPro but I'm worried a refresh is very much around the corner. I usually invest in a new MacPro to last me for the next 4-5 years, so I don't want to jump in too soon this year if there's a strong chance that a new, improved version is just around the corner.

There's nothing wrong with my current machine... I'm running OSX Yosemite 10.10.1 and I'm using a ASUS Bluetooth 4.0 Dongle in conjunction with Continuity Activation Tool to get me all my Handoff/Continuity features.... so I'm right up to speed... but as a given I usually upgrade my machines every 5 years at the max to keep up with new technology etc...

I'm a traditional style graphic designer... my core apps would still be Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, QuarkXpress 10.5 (soon to be 64bit QuarkXpress 2015). I use Final Cut Pro really for personal/home movie editing, nothing really commercial. I do alot of large format design... 10ft x 6ft corporate graphics artworks, so I do need a workhorse... but I'm not a 4K hogging Video/Animator also.

Last time round I bought my MacPro at the very highest level I could go.... this time round... after some serious research, I realised I bought way over what I needed... so I'm hoping my new MacPro won't need to cost me as much. Any other similar designers out there willing to let me know what spec they went for... to be able to work effectively with similar apps to what I have.

Any comments or suggestions most welcome.

Regards,
Anthony

Irish MacUser & MacAddict

P
Jan 23, 2015, 09:18 AM

We don't know. There are no rumors about it one way or another. It is worth pointing out that the next gen of Intel chips (Haswell-EP) has been out for 6 months now.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Altivec88
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2015, 01:51 AM

I am in a similar position that you are in except I have mid 2010-12 core 2.66, which was the mid range at the time. I do 3D work so I require max CPU. I found that the sweet spot was always the midrange system so I would typically spend around the $5000 mark and upgrade my system every 2 years and usually get a 50% speed boost. I was waiting forever for a new MacPro and was ecstatic when the new one came out but then I priced it out. All I could get for around $5000 was a 6 core 3.55 with some extra RAM in it. I know that the new Xeon processors are more powerful per ghz but was that enough to not only make up the difference of missing 6 cores but to exceed it so that its worthwhile enough to upgrade. Sadly the answer is, not even close. The only current MacPro that will beat my 5 year old middle range MacPro in CPU is the highest end model at $7300. And when I say beat, I don't mean by a big margin either. So I wait and I hope that 5 years later, I can buy a mid range MacPro that will actually beat my 5 year old computer. Its almost ridiculous how Apple doesn't want my money. I should have upgraded at least twice by now,

Now, I am not saying that you would not notice a speed up. Your tasks are not as multicore CPU bound as mine, so you will notice the faster memory bandwidth, and flash drive speeds. In my opinion though, considering you said that you over spent the last time around and you currently have a 12 core 2.93, I wouldn't even consider upgrading until Apple comes out with an update.

P
Jan 24, 2015, 03:58 AM

FYI: the replacement CPU family, straight from Intel:

Intel® Xeon® Processor E5 v3 Family
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Anto39x  (op)
Jan 24, 2015, 01:35 PM

Thank you all.... incredible comments, suggestions and information. I think based on these comments I will hold off for now... really I think I was just getting bored at that metallic tower box.. and looking for a new toy that I could justify buying since it was 5 years since my last splurge... but it would be an expense toy and one that would deliver the jump in speed and productivity that I would hope it would be... and that's based on the comments here and based on the many other replies from the same posting that I made on other MacPro thread/forums.

Thanks again guys for taking the time out to reply to my question... it's very much appreciated and valued!!

Regards,
Anthony

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2015, 01:55 AM

I have no special insight or "insider info" to offer on this, but if I were a betting man I would say that 2015 is probably a good year for a spec bump on the Mac Pro line.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Forum Links
Forum Rules