Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Can't boot OS 9 at all

Can't boot OS 9 at all
Ratatoskur
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2003, 11:53 AM

I have two HD's in my computer: my 80 Gb maindrive and my 10 GB drive that I use for OS 9 only.

Yesterday I formatted the 10 GB drive and was going to do a clean install OS 9 again in order to fix some problems with the old system folder.

The problem is that I can't boot to OS 9 to all. I can't boot anyone of the several OS 9 CD's that I own (note the Jaguar disc works just fine) Always when I try, all I see is a grey screen and then nothing more happens. If I try to copy a system folder from one of the CD's to my hard drives and boot from one of them, same thing: grey screen.

I can't even run Classic though that might be for a different reason. This is what I get:
"There are no localized Classic-specific resources to update the selected system folder."

I've zapped PRAM and I'm confident that there are Mac OS 9 drivers on both HD's. And I could boot from OS 9CD's without a problem just a few days ago.

If I don't find a solution I am going to try and remove the RAM and put my old 350 mhz processor into the G4 instead of the 1 Ghz Powerlogix.

Any ideas ? Any Open Firmware commands I can do to perhaps see what the problem is ?

I have a Power Mac G4 Sawtooth.

Cipher13
Apr 22, 2003, 05:29 AM

Boot. Hold Command-Option-O-F.

Type reset-nvram at the promtp.
Hit enter.
Type reset-all.
Hit enter.

Reboot. Put CD in. Hold CD. Work?

If not open system, take out battery, disconnect power. Leave for 15 mins. Replace power and battery. Now try.

No good?

Turn off, take all DIMMs out. Replace DIMMs. Now try.

No?

Forum Links
Forum Rules