Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Rare book on ebay

Rare book on ebay
drsoos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2004, 07:55 PM

Check it out here

Recently my work moved their offices for the first time in I think 20 years, As we started tossing stuff out we found this amazing book. We were a top service bureau back in the early days of prepress and publishing. At that time using a Mac was actually not that common, its was mostly camera ready, paste ups and stat work.

This book was sent to us directly from Apple to introduce us to the Mac and how we could use this machine as a tool. Needless to say this book is what sold the company on the Mac and today we are a proud all Mac design and Print shop. Anyhow, back to the book. Its roughly 11x17 and has a little wear ( it was in a box with a bunch of old syquests, and MO disks, remember those!) The truly amazing part of this book is what it contains, its spiral bound and each page has a smaller 8.5x11 page bound in, that demonstrates what they rest of the page is talking about. This is amazing for that time, there are real transparencies, slides, negatives, 1 color, 2 color 4 color examples and a couple of floppies! you can see more photos here

Working in the print and publishing workd today this is a history lesson as to where we were and how far we have come. To put somehting like this together today would be a task, but to do it then, all on a computer is mind boggling. You can imagine the cost involved in producing something like this and my research has come up with a number between 100-500 for the total production. One source said as little as 50 are floating out that as it was killed almost as soon as the thing was done. How it got into our hands is all luck. Its a great example of the Apple excess and history, perfect for the 20th Anniversary of the Mac.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2004, 09:16 PM

Seems like an odd forum to post this. How about the "Marketplace"?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules