Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > ITunes and 9.2?

ITunes and 9.2?
WSKCONDOR
Sep 21, 2001, 04:51 AM

I read some iTunes issues and wondered if anyone could help me with these:
Since I installed 9.2 (although it might not be related because it was a while since I last did this) when I try to get track names from CDDB via iTunes, I cannot connect. I get the message ther ewas an error connecting to the server, and to check my internet connection and setup.

Well, everything else works through this ISP, IE, Netscape, AOL, AOL IM, Yahoo messenger. I can also connect to the CDDB site via the web browser. I can't see anything else in advanced controls which would change anything. Any ideas?

p.s. I also tried to install iTunes anew, and it did not help (1.1 is the version I am running).

The other problem is occasional skipping in the ripped MP3's- I never had that problem with SoundJam, and I wondered if anyone else had noticed it. Is it affected by other system usage while you are ripping in the background? Doesn't that seem stupid if it is?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

-WSK

xyber233
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2001, 09:48 AM

Are you on 56k?

WSKCONDOR  (op)
Sep 21, 2001, 11:04 AM

Originally posted by xyber233:
<STRONG>Are you on 56k?</STRONG>
Yes, through an Airport Base Station. BUt it used to work. Like a couple of months ago.

Camali
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2001, 04:24 PM

I had the same problem, my only solution was to completely remove iTunes (program, preferences and playlists) from the G4 and reinstall.

Unlike you, I had a DSL line, and I would get that problem.

Try removing iTunes altogether.

WSKCONDOR  (op)
Sep 21, 2001, 08:41 PM

Well,
You are right and that did it, but I am still at a loss for exactly WHY.
I removed the program, all the components (extensions, AND preference file) and re-installed.

For anyone with similar problems, though, I did find this-I believe simply deleting the preferences file for itunes is all I needed to do. Then it starts up like a new install anyway, and you have it scan for MP3's, etc, and set up preferences.

It was this step that resulted in the ability to connect to the CDDB again. I think I could have saved my old playlists.

That was a "Windows-like" experience....

Forum Links
Forum Rules