Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > burglery

burglery
clam2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2004, 01:44 AM

so, I came home from work this evening to find that my house had been burglerized, and almost all of my family's laptops were gone.

the police seemed very uninterested, they simply confirmed that it would have been very easy,and gave us a sheet to put serial numbers on.

it seems like someone just did a quick theft of what they could carry, 3 laptops, 2 cameras, and an iPod.

insurance should pay at least part of it, but it's still quite upsetting, it's a lot of data that won't be possible to get back.

luckily they didn't look in my room, so my old windows machine is still here, but it's still a shock.

the moral is to be sure that you have reasonably up-to-date backups of anything you want to keep, my last copys were from the beginning of the summer, and that's a lot of work to loose.

--will

xec17
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2004, 02:01 AM

I'm really sorry to hear about what happened.

Thieves anger me to no end...I've been stolen from as well.

Eash

CubeWannaB
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2004, 02:24 AM

I had a PowerMac that was stolen the day after I got it. It was never returned.

I've heard about people tracking down their computers using the Internet and serial numbers (maybe MAC addresses too). You could certainly look into it.

iEvolve
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2004, 06:19 AM

Where do you live? How did they get in? Were your doors locked? What time of day did this occur? Sorry for your loss, maybe you need a guard dog

romeosc
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2004, 08:59 AM

Should have had Safeware.com insurance. NO DEDUCTABLE!

GoCats
Aug 10, 2004, 04:34 PM

I hope you didn't have passwords and personal account info on your machine.. but if you do, I hope that it's protected in some way. If not, I would strongly suggest going out and changing all of your passwords and notify your creditors about the theft.

Forum Links
Forum Rules