Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > 19" or 20" LCD Monitor

19" or 20" LCD Monitor
rddraper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2005, 12:16 AM

I have a Mac G4 and would like to move up from my Sony G420 to a LCD. This is used for business forms design (Adobe <InDesign, Photo Shop, Illustrator> Should I go for the Samsung 204T or a Sony SDM HS95B or a ?
Thanks, rddraper

idyll
Senior User
Dec 10, 2005, 07:49 PM

If it is between those two, then definitely go for the Samsung 204T. It isn't so much the size of the monitor, but the max resolution it can support that is important. I had the Samsung 204T myself and it was a great monitor, though I now have an Apple 20" iMac and feel that it is better. But, I will soon be switching to a 20" Dell display and a PowerMac, and the widescreen 20" display can be had for $350 if you buy it at the right time, whioch is cheaper than the Samsung 204T, and uses the same lcd as the 20" Apple display. I already got myself one and am waiting for my PowerMac.. Check www.slickdeals.net for good deals on LCDs

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2005, 08:33 PM

Another vote for the Dell 2005FPW.

bighill
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2005, 09:59 PM

I got a 2005fpw 2 weeks ago for $334.25 I'm thrilled with it so far.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2005, 01:02 PM

I'll vote again for the Dell 2005FPW, but I'll recommend Techbargains instead of SlickDeals.

rddraper  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2005, 11:15 PM

Is the Dell 2005FPW a better lcd than Samsung 204T and what is needed to connect to my ADC on my G4 from the DVI on the Monitor?
Thanks, rddraper

rddraper  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2005, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by bighill
where did you find the hot price on the Dell their web site?
thanks, rddraper

rddraper  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2005, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by bighill
where did you find the hot price on the Dell their web site?
thanks, rddraper

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2005, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by rddraper
Is the Dell 2005FPW a better lcd than Samsung 204T and what is needed to connect to my ADC on my G4 from the DVI on the Monitor?
Thanks, rddraper
I think so. Dell uses a newer version of the same panel that Apple uses for their 20". To connect to the ADC port on your G4 you'll need a pin adapter (they're $10-20).

idyll
Senior User
Dec 12, 2005, 02:55 AM

The Dell LCD has a better contrast ratio, refresh rate, and brightness than the Samsung 204T. You can find the hot price for the Dell monitor on slickdeals.net, though you'll have to visit them every few days, as the deal comes along like once a month or so

bighill
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2005, 11:49 AM

I saw a coupon code on digg.com, when I tried it it had expired. So, I called Dell and said I saw this price couldn't remember where, could you help me find out if it is still available. It took about 10 minutes of being put on hold and not always being able to understand the salesperson but she got it for me. Five days later, this puppy is sitting on my desk. $334.25 + tax and free shipping.

ben.mcguire
Dec 12, 2005, 05:21 PM

another vote for the dell, I am running a 20" off my 12" ibook

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2005, 09:35 PM

I have to laugh, I was just admiring the calibration results from my 2005FPW. I have to say it's the best monitor I've ever bought. I work in Photoshop all day on a dual G5 with the Apple 23" aluminum. The Apple at work is the third replacement one, but at least I finally got one that wasn't striped vertically or magenta overall. It's still far from perfect, with 5 stuck pixels (three green, two red in the lower left corner). Oh well enough about the damn Apple, anyways...

The 2005FPW is almost ideal, but I would probably save that word for the 24" model, with the card readers... *drool*. The UltraSharp's have been excellent values for me, with an original 19" 1901 stlll wowing my mom every day. Check out this calibration result if you want.... almost dead linear white to black...

http://homepage.mac.com/richrobbins/...FPWCalScrn.png

You cannot go wrong with the Dell, the bang for the buck at sale prices is unmatched.

jdiddy
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2005, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by MichiganRich
I have to laugh, I was just admiring the calibration results from my 2005FPW. I have to say it's the best monitor I've ever bought. I work in Photoshop all day on a dual G5 with the Apple 23" aluminum. The Apple at work is the third replacement one, but at least I finally got one that wasn't striped vertically or magenta overall. It's still far from perfect, with 5 stuck pixels (three green, two red in the lower left corner). Oh well enough about the damn Apple, anyways...

The 2005FPW is almost ideal, but I would probably save that word for the 24" model, with the card readers... *drool*. The UltraSharp's have been excellent values for me, with an original 19" 1901 stlll wowing my mom every day. Check out this calibration result if you want.... almost dead linear white to black...

http://homepage.mac.com/richrobbins/...FPWCalScrn.png

You cannot go wrong with the Dell, the bang for the buck at sale prices is unmatched.
Can I get a copy of that Color Profile??

Forum Links
Forum Rules