Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes Question

iTunes Question
clam2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2007, 07:02 PM

First, My situation:

My music collection recently grew to a point that I didn't want it on my local hard drive any more, so I purchased a network attached storage device.

The drive mounts with samba onto my mac, and I copied the entire 'iTunes' folder onto it, and then created a symbolic link so that ~/Music/iTunes points to the folder on the disk.

This has worked as well as I expected, (iTunes is a bit slower at accessing files since it's limited to network speeds) but with one oddity.

iTunes has begun to create Temp Files in it's 'iTunes' folder. Occasionally I'd see one or two of these before, but there are currently over 300 of them in the directory. Each of the temp files is approximately the same size as the iTunes library. The do not get removed when iTunes quits. The files seem to be created whenever the song information is updated (as though they were incremental backups of the library).

I'm assuming these files are safe to delete, but I'm wondering if anyone can shed light on why they are being created and if i can prevent their creation.

Thanks!

SheltonMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2007, 08:31 PM

My iTunes recently started doing something similar, but with a twist.

When I select a song from the library list, iTunes adds " 00- " to the beginning of the filename (yes, both in the iTunes list, and on the actual file itself). Now if I don't select the next song, iTunes will play the songs WITHOUT changing the names - but when I dare select a file of my choice, iTunes again renames the file.

So far, iTunes has renamed over 120 of my files - and I don't have a clue as to how to stop it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules