Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > CAREFULL!!! New Wireless not compatible!

CAREFULL!!! New Wireless not compatible!
ibr80
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 21, 2003, 12:30 AM

This blows !!! I was at the Apple Store in Rosevelt Field mall and I had the new Apple Pro Wireless mouse ready to pay when I told them that I had a USB Bluetooth adapter form D-Link, The onlu one apple.com offered as the only one and best at the time, and they turned around and told me that it is not compatible with such. First can somebody confirm this information and second ig this is the case this is very bad advertising on Apple's behalf considering that when you look at the specs needed online to use it, It only says you need a USB or built-in Bluetooth. I was really ticked considering I had to drive for 2 hours in traffic. Please voice your opinion's.

Regards,
Isaac Barreiros

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2003, 12:32 AM

Originally posted by ibr80:
This blows !!! I was at the Apple Store in Rosevelt Field mall and I had the new Apple Pro Wireless mouse ready to pay when I told them that I had a USB Bluetooth adapter form D-Link, The onlu one apple.com offered as the only one and best at the time, and they turned around and told me that it is not compatible with such. First can somebody confirm this information and second ig this is the case this is very bad advertising on Apple's behalf considering that when you look at the specs needed online to use it, It only says you need a USB or built-in Bluetooth. I was really ticked considering I had to drive for 2 hours in traffic. Please voice your opinion's.

Regards,
Isaac Barreiros
side note: i was there to today, and bought the first one from them!

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2003, 05:00 AM

It only says you need a USB or built-in Bluetooth.
Not to say it doesn't suck at all - but that says 'built-in Bluetooth' - your D Link adaptor is not built in.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2003, 06:49 AM

Originally posted by thePurpleGiant:
Not to say it doesn't suck at all - but that says 'built-in Bluetooth' - your D Link adaptor is not built in.
It says USB adaptor or built in. I don't think it can require buit-in Bluetooth or it wouldn't be compatible with any of Apple's desktops.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 21, 2003, 08:42 AM

check the specs before you buy, it says:

Requires a Bluetooth enabled Macintosh (either built-in or using the qualified D-Link DBT-120 USB Bluetooth Adapter (older D-Link DWB-120M adapters are not supported). Mac OS X, v10.2.6 or higher required.

the only bluetooth adapter that works is the newest one from dlink, that sucks. I have the old D-Link also.

But it doesn't matter, the kb and mouse is not that great from apple, hoping for a third party or the 2nd revision from apple.

Apple store employees have no clue, they don't know anything. See other threads from macnn users, they talk about how stupid apple store employees too.

striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2003, 08:51 AM

This is pretty funny, I was at the Roosevelt Field Mall Apple Store yesterday also and asked the same exact question.

There are two big threads over at spymac.com as to weather or not the d-link dongle will work with the G5, some say yes no problem, some say that the aluminum frame of the G5 blocks the bluetooth signal.
How this is I can't understand as the internal bluetooth module also needs the external antenna to function, the only difference I can see is that you'll need to use one of your usb ports for the d-link dongle.

Anyway when I asked at the RF Apple Store yesterday I got two different answers from two salesmen.

The one who said that you couldn't use it with the d-link dongle was saying it was because the d-link dongle was the "old bluetooth spec", he must have been thinking of old dongle that Apple says is not compatible.

If you have an Apple Cinema Display the best thing is to use the usb port on the back of the display.

striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2003, 08:54 AM

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 21, 2003, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by striker100:
This is pretty funny, I was at the Roosevelt Field Mall Apple Store yesterday also and asked the same exact question.

There are two big threads over at spymac.com as to weather or not the d-link dongle will work with the G5, some say yes no problem, some say that the aluminum frame of the G5 blocks the bluetooth signal.
How this is I can't understand as the internal bluetooth module also needs the external antenna to function, the only difference I can see is that you'll need to use one of your usb ports for the d-link dongle.

Anyway when I asked at the RF Apple Store yesterday I got two different answers from two salesmen.

The one who said that you couldn't use it with the d-link dongle was saying it was because the d-link dongle was the "old bluetooth spec", he must have been thinking of old dongle that Apple says is not compatible.

If you have an Apple Cinema Display the best thing is to use the usb port on the back of the display.
i was at the mall yesterday also. The only dlink dongle for sale was the new one and they didn't have the sticker price on them. So i don't know what apple store employee was talking about.

djjava
Senior User
Sep 22, 2003, 11:57 AM

Regards,
Isaac Barreiros
I know the box for the wireless keyboard specifically mentions the Dlink bluetooth dongle. not sure about mouse... I ain't getting it.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

Bax23
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2003, 09:47 AM

I ordered the Keyboard, mouse, and D-link USB from the Apple store the day of the announcement and everything works fine for me. The only problem I have right now is getting the computer to sleep. It doesn't seem to want to sleep when the mouse and keyboard are turned off.

Forum Links
Forum Rules