Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > what is better: NCAA or NFL football? why?

what is better: NCAA or NFL football? why?
ankle_brains
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2003, 06:28 PM

i personally think nothing beats ncaa sports, what about you?

mixin visuals
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2003, 06:36 PM

i perfer nfl definately (until the sweet 16)
Technology, Computing & Creativity - www.clubmedia.com

Overflowing with Design Links - www.mixinvisuals.com

VW Sites.com - Links to the Volkswagen World - www.vwsites.com

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2003, 06:37 PM

I tend to like college sports more than pro sports. Especially basketball. The NBA gets lamer every year. The NFL isn't quite as bad, but I prefer NCAA football in general.

It becomes harder and harder every year to give a shyt what happens to a bunch of millionaires, criminals and wanna-be actors/rappers in the pro leagues.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2003, 06:38 PM

NFL. Why? Marketing.

NCAA. Why? No instant replay.

NFL. Why? Better players.

NCAA. Why? The players care more.

NFL. Why? The Super Bowl.

NCAA. Why? Cuter Cheerleaders.

NFL. Why? No BCS.

NCAA. Why? I can attend games.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2003, 06:42 PM

I live for College basketball actually...I think it's so awesome and some of the different atmosphere's around the nation are incredible to see and be a part of. I'll never forget a game a few years ago that I got to see in Stillwater, OK (Oklahoma State) at historic Gallagher-IBA Arena...my ears hurt so badly I couldn't even hear the person next to me screaming at the top of their lungs...it was pretty incredible to say the least!

It's all about March Madness, the single, best, and longest party in college sports....

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2003, 06:53 PM

If NCAA football had a tourney, it would be glorious. The whole ranking system really is a drawback. Too few big programs take chances by playing tough schedules any more.

Just look at the pre-season and early season tournaments for NCAA basketball. You can get top 5 teams playing each other right off the bat because they know it will come down to March Madness anyway so they aren't risking their season by attending the Alaska Shootout or Wooden Classic.

In football, one loss ends your season so everybody does everything they can to avoid playing anyone tough for as long as they can. If not for the tough conferences, we'd see even more of this.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2003, 06:54 PM

NCAA football is THE best sport (followed by Pro Rugby). The kids really care, plus you get to follow the franchise and watch the creation of dyansties. Doesn't hurt to have an awesome program like the Univ. of TN in my backyard either.

Go Vols!!
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2003, 07:14 PM

Both Montana and Montana State lost in the first round of the I-AA playoffs, so I'm bitter.

(But the good news is that for the first time in forever, the Bobcats (MSU) have beaten the Griz (UM) two years in a row � before last year, the Griz had one 17 in a row. I grew up a Cat fan, my family is split between the two (Dad went to MSU, his brother to UM.))
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

christ
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2003, 07:21 PM

NCAA. Why? 'Bama. (apart from the odd 'blip' year - cut the new coach some slack)
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2003, 08:39 PM

CFL...end of thread.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

malson
Senior User
Dec 2, 2003, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
NCAA football is THE best sport (followed by Pro Rugby). The kids really care, plus you get to follow the franchise and watch the creation of dyansties. Doesn't hurt to have an awesome program like the Univ. of TN in my backyard either.

Go Vols!!
Ditto...I love NCAA football much more than the pro ranks. I will also agree with the Go Vols! I'm a proud season ticket holder and love making the trip to Knoxville during the fall!
Yeah, about those TPS reports, didn't you get the memo?
--------------
2.3 Ghz Dual-Core G5/20" LCD/Life is Good!
Moo...

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2003, 10:47 PM

Originally posted by malson:
Ditto...I love NCAA football much more than the pro ranks. I will also agree with the Go Vols! I'm a proud season ticket holder and love making the trip to Knoxville during the fall!
VOLS all the way...
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2003, 10:53 PM

March Madness rocks. I always root for the underdog. Go Lower Iowa State!!!
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2003, 10:55 PM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
March Madness rocks. I always root for the underdog. Go Lower Iowa State!!!
I miss Eustaschy...

euchomai
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2003, 11:29 PM

NCAA... Why? Boomer Sooner my friends! I bought season tickets when OU had Coach Blake, we lost a lot. Good thing I got them years ago or I FOR SURE would not have them now. Sooner football, what a year!

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2003, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by euchomai:
NCAA... Why? Boomer Sooner my friends! I bought season tickets when OU had Coach Blake, we lost a lot. Good thing I got them years ago or I FOR SURE would not have them now. Sooner football, what a year!
The Sooners are incredible this year, no doubt. Look out for a hot KSU team this Saturday though...

(this is coming from an avid OkState fan btw....see, we aren't ALL that bad, eh?)

wang_himself
Senior User
Dec 3, 2003, 03:15 AM

NFL players play for Money and only at half ass speeds.

NCAA player play to play. They have heart.
/hi

Bax23
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2003, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by christ:
NCAA. Why? 'Bama. (apart from the odd 'blip' year - cut the new coach some slack)
There is always one Bama fan in the crowd.

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2003, 11:22 AM

I am a huge Packer fan and Wisconsin Badger basketball fan.

I think the NBA is just god-awful to watch and the NCAA is so much more realistic and exciting. The players are so into the game and want to win.

I like my Packers and Badger Basketball equally. Thank god they are different times of the year(well, sort of)

But you gotta love Australian Open, French Open, Wimbledon, and the US Open! Tennis baby!
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2003, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by Webscreamer:
But you gotta love Australian Open, French Open, Wimbledon, and the US Open! Tennis baby!
A-N-N-A....

Mac Bird
Dec 3, 2003, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by wang_himself:
NCAA player[s] play to play. They have heart.
Bingo.

p.s. Go Dawgs!

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2003, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
A-N-N-A....
whats that mean?
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2003, 04:53 PM

Originally posted by Webscreamer:
whats that mean?
K-O-U-R-N-I-K-O-V-A

benb
Dec 3, 2003, 05:00 PM

K-O-U-R-N-I-K-O-V-A
She plays tennis? I thought she was a model.

Anyway, back to topic. I despise college sports. If I had my say, we would do away with nationally televised college games and 40,000 seat stadiums. Now I don't mean do away with sports in higher education, however I don't think the emphasis on them is due. Call me bitter because I am not great at sports, but I think schools should have followed Yale's lead long ago.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2003, 05:05 PM

Originally posted by benb:
She plays tennis? I thought she was a model.
She doesn't "play"...she attempts...

christ
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2003, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by benb:
...college games and 40,000 seat stadiums...
(stadia)

Where do you live? 80,000 seats is small in real college football country!
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

christ
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2003, 05:18 PM

She doesn't "play"...she attempts...
And I don't understand these sour grapes. She was in the top 10 in the world at her best - you don't get there by being a model. She was damn good at tennis, just not good enough to win a tournament. Who is? How many people could beat Hingis, Seles, Williams I, Williams II, the two Belgians, Davenport, Agassi (Mrs)? If she was ugly she would have been praised for getting into the top 10, because she is not, she is criticised. Pure, 100%, sour grapes and jealousy.
Chris. T.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2003, 05:48 PM

And I don't understand these sour grapes. She was in the top 10 in the world at her best - you don't get there by being a model. She was damn good at tennis, just not good enough to win a tournament. Who is? How many people could beat Hingis, Seles, Williams I, Williams II, the two Belgians, Davenport, Agassi (Mrs)? If she was ugly she would have been praised for getting into the top 10, because she is not, she is criticised. Pure, 100%, sour grapes and jealousy.
Preach on christ, preach on...AMEN!

macroy
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2003, 08:02 PM

uh.. I think some of that 'criticism' is due to her not living up to her potential... Not a stat freak... but was she really top 10? I though she's only been to like 1 final.... as a single. I know she won a few double tournaments.

But on the other hand, how would you feel if your co-worker got a better office, a higher raise and more perks simply he/she is better looking?

Not a very exact example - But I think the jealousy for the other players comes from the fact that she gets all the press and everything...but not from her tennis playing. I guess sports is still entertainment.. its not how good you are.. but how much money you bring in to the sport.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2003, 08:38 PM

I believed she was ranked as high as #7 before she suffered some injuries from which she never really recovered. At the same time that she was struggling to get back to top form, her fame and endorsement opportunities all went through the roof. Not to mention the number of off-the-court complications.

I respect her for trying to get back to tennis. She honestly didn't do it for the money. No other reason than a strong desire to compete. I also respect her for walking away when it became clear that she wasn't competitive any longer. She could easily have stuck around to suck up the spotlight and made a spectacle of herself.

For a teenager who suddenly became a world-wide sex symbol virtually overnight, she strikes me a surprisingly level-headed and capable woman. Getting as far as she got in world tennis rankings is no small feat and required extraordinary effort and determination.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2003, 01:36 AM

Memo: To all Oklahoma Fans
Subject: Look below...

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2003, 02:07 AM

NCAA hands down. Because they have more heart and they're not just playing for the money.

I'm from Detroit, so NFL is out of the question for me (F'ing Lions drag everybody down with them). Go Spatans!

brapper
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2003, 02:47 AM

Originally posted by shabbasuraj:
CFL...end of thread.
haha beat me to it! umm GO ARGOS!

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2003, 02:47 AM

Memo: To all Oklahoma Fans
Subject: Look below...

Yeah we got some BCS hell coming tomorrow.

Damn K-State.

slow moe
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2003, 11:48 AM

If LSU doesn't go to the Sugar Bowl, then the BCS has got to go. There should be no way in hell a team that doesn't even win their division title *cough* Oklahoma *cough* should be allowed to play for the National Championship. No way I tells ya, no way! It would be different if their was a playoff system in place!, but there isn't!!
Lysdexics have more fnu.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2003, 12:45 PM

It was great to see my K-State Wildcats pound the Sooners last night. Darren Sproles should be a leading candidate for the Heisman next year and hopefully will win the Doak Walker award this year. (Should have been a leader this year for the Heisman. Check his stats.)

The Sooners should still be in the big game. One loss. One of the toughest schedules in the nation.

I like NCAA basketball and March Madness.

NFL is the ultimate for me. The Chiefs will prevail over the Broncos today.

discomama
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2003, 01:08 PM

college football--
It's required to say that if you were born here.
yes I know UNL has huge problems and I don't really care.
Nebraska has nothing else.

I don't care about sports usually unless I am playing but if forced to watch........

Baseball has the best pants.

slow moe
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2003, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by kcmac:
The Sooners should still be in the big game. One loss. One of the toughest schedules in the nation.
Oklahoma played 3 top 25 teams.
LSU played 4.

Who won their division title game and who didn't. USC vs. LSU in the Sugar Bowl.
Lysdexics have more fnu.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2003, 04:51 PM

Boomer Sooner to ya anyway. OU has the "best" loss if you can call it that. It was to a better opponent and they should not be punished just cuz it was a later game. LSU and OU for the national championship, OU will be in rare form and will win by three or more tds. BUT... It is only 2:50 central time and I don't even know if OU will be going to the big game.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2003, 06:53 PM

Boomer Sooner to ya anyway. OU has the "best" loss if you can call it that. It was to a better opponent and they should not be punished just cuz it was a later game. LSU and OU for the national championship, OU will be in rare form and will win by three or more tds. BUT... It is only 2:50 central time and I don't even know if OU will be going to the big game.
Still #1

euchomai
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2003, 10:40 PM

Wow, I expected to go to the game, but still #1 wow, we are lucky for sure. BCS is a joke though, I hope this helps push a playoff.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2003, 11:20 PM

Wow, I expected to go to the game, but still #1 wow, we are lucky for sure. BCS is a joke though, I hope this helps push a playoff.
One reason a playoff system will never ever ever ever ever ever ever (etc, etc) be accepted.

MONEY.

So much money is generated from Bowl games and the glamour of getting certain conference winners.

Forum Links
Forum Rules