Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Help me find an ottoman/rug

Help me find an ottoman/rug
SSharon
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2011, 12:20 AM

I moved into my apartment a few months ago and haven't finished furnishing it. You guys (and gals) know everything about everything so I'm looking for some free advice.

I'm thinking about getting a storage ottoman, but I'm open to alternatives. Any stores I should check out or stay away from? As you can see I haven't found a rug I like so if you want to throw in suggestions for that as well I'm all ears. Budget for each item is flexible and I'm thinking $500 for both is doable. In case the pictures aren't clear the couches are brown.

AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2011, 04:35 AM

ikea.

tightsocks
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2011, 05:40 AM

Is it just me, or are the sofas a bit too large for the room?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2011, 05:52 AM

I don't know how large you are, but the sofas are too large, yes.

tightsocks
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2011, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I don't know how large you are, but the sofas are too large, yes.
I am large in some places, and not large in others.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 27, 2011, 10:09 AM

My impression is that the loveseat is too close to the bookcase (and not centered on the window). Overstuffed/cushy furniture isn't a problem if you don't have problems with it, but it will make getting something that goes well with both the color and style of the couch and loveseat a bit more difficult.

As for a "storage ottoman," how much storage are you interested in? If it's a matter of "putting the PS2 controllers and some other stuff in it," you could do well with a sturdy coffee table with an under-shelf and a padded top (for the footstool use I assume you're looking for the ottoman to fill). If it's a lot more than just a little bit of storage, I think you'll need something that may not fit in the space you have.

What are you looking for in a rug? Just some softness and warmth for getting to and from the sofa, or something to cover the whole area? I've seen "runner" rugs, about 24" wide and several feet long, that are great for keeping the toes warm but that don't take up much space. But for filling the whole space, you're probably talking about something that by itself will be more than your whole budget. You can often find area rugs at Lowes, and they usually have someone that knows enough about them to give you a good idea of what their selection and prices are like. For that matter, Wal-Mart has straightforward area rugs that are NOT expensive, but are limited to a few standard sizes.

That honey-colored floor is beautiful, and it sets off the couch and loveseat (and is that a recliner facing the couch?) very nicely. I would personally go with runners, especially if you get a sizeable "storage ottoman" for the middle-less expensive and better for space usage.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

SSharon  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2011, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by iMOTOR View Post
ikea.
Any specific models to check out or avoid? Some of their stuff is constructed decently, but I still find them to be hit or miss.

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
My impression is that the loveseat is too close to the bookcase (and not centered on the window). Overstuffed/cushy furniture isn't a problem if you don't have problems with it, but it will make getting something that goes well with both the color and style of the couch and loveseat a bit more difficult.

As for a "storage ottoman," how much storage are you interested in? If it's a matter of "putting the PS2 controllers and some other stuff in it," you could do well with a sturdy coffee table with an under-shelf and a padded top (for the footstool use I assume you're looking for the ottoman to fill). If it's a lot more than just a little bit of storage, I think you'll need something that may not fit in the space you have.

What are you looking for in a rug? Just some softness and warmth for getting to and from the sofa, or something to cover the whole area? I've seen "runner" rugs, about 24" wide and several feet long, that are great for keeping the toes warm but that don't take up much space. But for filling the whole space, you're probably talking about something that by itself will be more than your whole budget. You can often find area rugs at Lowes, and they usually have someone that knows enough about them to give you a good idea of what their selection and prices are like. For that matter, Wal-Mart has straightforward area rugs that are NOT expensive, but are limited to a few standard sizes.

That honey-colored floor is beautiful, and it sets off the couch and loveseat (and is that a recliner facing the couch?) very nicely. I would personally go with runners, especially if you get a sizeable "storage ottoman" for the middle-less expensive and better for space usage.
The loveseat isn't actually that close to the bookcase. Well it was when I took the picture obviously, but it is moved over so that it can recline normally (although not at the same time as the seat that is corner to it).

The couches aren't as large as they look in the pictures and are standard size as far as I know. The four side positions all recline which explains the high backs.

I'm still looking for an entertainment center which is why the TV is mainly cropped out of the image. (The stand it is on is hideous.)

It doesn't need to be a huge amount of storage. It should hold more than a few magazines, but less than a keg. Aside from wanting the extra storage space, one of the reasons I think I wanted a storage ottoman is because many of them are on wheels or otherwise easy to move. This helps since the couches recline. If I get a coffee table, I would at least like one that has some concealed storage (as opposed to an open shelf) and isn't extremely heavy.

The rug should be large enough to cover the majority of the floor. It should extend from beneath the couches on one side to just up against the entertainment unit I don't have on the other. 6 feet by 8 feet is a rough measurement. I've looked at some of the ones at HD, Lowes, and the Marts, and they all felt very rough. Do you know anyone that has one of these where the rug softened out a bit? I'm just trying to figure our a store and its quality, but if it helps I'm looking for something brown with geometric shapes that is modern looking.

I'm glad you like the floor. It is original from when the building was built and it is a shame that we are supposed to cover 80% of it.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 27, 2011, 10:37 AM

Softer pile = higher price, always.

SSharon  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2011, 10:40 AM

Softer pile = higher price, always.
Yea, that's what I was expecting. For a 6'x8' rug, of quality decent enough to walk on barefoot without getting scratched, how much can I expect to pay? Is $350-$400 possible or do I need to totally redo my budget?

andi*pandi
Feb 27, 2011, 01:03 PM

I think target has some of those storage ottomans. I almost bought some a while back.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 27, 2011, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
Yea, that's what I was expecting. For a 6'x8' rug, of quality decent enough to walk on barefoot without getting scratched, how much can I expect to pay? Is $350-$400 possible or do I need to totally redo my budget?
That depends on a lot of things. Expected life span of the rug, (which is not always directly related to quality), design, materials. What you want and what you can afford are so subjective that it's pretty much up to you now. You need to shop around to find out what's available and what you like. You could decide something inexpensive is just perfect, or that you need to spend $1000 on just the rug because you found the perfect one.

SSharon  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2011, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I think target has some of those storage ottomans. I almost bought some a while back.
Were they square and around $20-$30 each? I think I saw those and looked inside and wasn't impressed with the stapled together flimsy structure. People sometimes sit on ottomans and I don't want it to collapse.

As for the life of the rug, I would expect it to last at least as long as the couches. The couches aren't top quality and I'll be happy if I get 10-12 good years out of them. Where should I go to find something a notch ahead of home depot or walmart, but definitely less than $1000? Are local carpet/rug stores my only option or are there any national chains?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2011, 03:39 PM

"I’m sorry you all have to stand. The couch that was right there, for years, given to me by the King of Prussia when I saved his daughter from the Cossacks: stolen! Along with the ottomans! Not the Turkish Ottomans, the footy ones that make it look so contemporary cozy in here. And the fainting couch. Gone!"
( Last edited by SpaceMonkey; Feb 27, 2011 at 04:04 PM. )

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2011, 07:47 PM

You need a rug that really ties the room together I see.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2011, 08:08 PM

I prefer a good Mehmet IV, personally.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2011, 10:10 AM

Imagine that - a whole kingdom based on a piece of furniture.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Phileas
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2011, 10:25 AM

We just bought a carpet from Pakistan for our office, in a similar size. It came in at $1600.00.

PhilCat
Feb 28, 2011, 11:41 AM

The yellow bookcase in the corner is not really functional there.

Put a square table there that both couches can share, and another one on this end of the couch.
A nice lamp on it with remote dimmers, or the cool floor lamps that come out from behind the couch and branch out from the corner.

Coffee Table is always a top choice.
Keep it slim,
and a drawer or two that slides out both ways will keep remotes handy from either side of table.

An ottoman maybe a bit too big a footprint for the space with recliners.
Any attempt of one on wheels in combo to camp on with sofa, and I think you will get the idea real quick.
If not, You will wake up with your butt on the floor, and ottoman 4 feet across the room,
even with carpet.

As for carpet, many neighborhood shops have remnant left overs cheap enough.
Low profile is best, then your office chair can move on it.
Oriental style in that space and to be functional maybe more of a pain than it's worth with combo office gear.

Save plush shag for the bedroom.
Light tone Sheep Skins would work great on the couches or the floor.

Light-tite Shades/blinds, and art work for the walls needs attention.
Check out local water color artists at a local college.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2011, 01:44 PM

Instead of a coffee table, get a cocktail arcade game. It's functional... and fun!
"â€ĤI contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

SSharon  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2011, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by PhilCat View Post
The yellow bookcase in the corner is not really functional there.

Put a square table there that both couches can share, and another one on this end of the couch.
A nice lamp on it with remote dimmers, or the cool floor lamps that come out from behind the couch and branch out from the corner.

Coffee Table is always a top choice.
Keep it slim,
and a drawer or two that slides out both ways will keep remotes handy from either side of table.

An ottoman maybe a bit too big a footprint for the space with recliners.
Any attempt of one on wheels in combo to camp on with sofa, and I think you will get the idea real quick.
If not, You will wake up with your butt on the floor, and ottoman 4 feet across the room,
even with carpet.

As for carpet, many neighborhood shops have remnant left overs cheap enough.
Low profile is best, then your office chair can move on it.
Oriental style in that space and to be functional maybe more of a pain than it's worth with combo office gear.

Save plush shag for the bedroom.
Light tone Sheep Skins would work great on the couches or the floor.

Light-tite Shades/blinds, and art work for the walls needs attention.
Check out local water color artists at a local college.
It is less yellow in person (it is that ikea birch color), but I agree that it is out of place there. It will probably be moved once I find an entertainment unit.

I do like the idea of some square tables with lamps since I like using X10 switches to control my lights.

I bought a remnant piece of carpet to use in the closet in the master bedroom, but I never thought of using a remnant as a rug. How would the edges hold up over time?

You can't really see it in the washed out pictures, but there are aluminum mini blinds that I'm happy with. As for artwork, I have two pieces in storage that I plan on putting over the larger couch and then I was holding off on putting up other pictures/art until I know where the rest of the furniture will be placed. My grandfather was an artist so I have an appreciation for art and a modest supply

I'm still up in the air deciding between an ottoman and a coffee table so maybe I should find an entertainment unit and see how much space (and money) is left over.

PhilCat
Feb 28, 2011, 11:13 PM

like the idea of some square tables with lamps
We cruised out of town and for the heck of it stopped at a second hand shop.
Next thing, they are loading all what she bought.

Possible luck if not in a hurry.

SSharon  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2011, 11:58 PM

I had a chance to check out some rugs tonight and this was the only one I saw worth taking a picture of.

Pros: It costs $215, it is from a locally owned small business, dimensions are 5'3"x7'8".
Cons: ?

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 4, 2011, 07:53 AM

Cons? To busy a pattern for me-it wouldn't go with the straight lines that predominate the room, at least in my eye.

It's a beautiful pattern, but it's not one that suits me. YMMV.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2011, 10:53 AM

I had a chance to check out some rugs tonight and this was the only one I saw worth taking a picture of.

Pros: It costs $215, it is from a locally owned small business, dimensions are 5'3"x7'8".
Cons: ?
I'd crave ice cream if I had that carpet It looks like melted ice cream to me.

andi*pandi
Mar 4, 2011, 11:35 AM

It matches the couch, and maybe won't seem so bold with a coffee table on top of it. I'd keep curtains etc simple, away from complex patterns, but it seems nice.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2011, 07:40 PM

Actually, yeah. I got a rug with deep blues and some dark green accents when my room was white. I painted my walls the dark blue from the rug, and trimmed the shelves and drawers the green.

If you can find drapes that have around the same color as a color you like in the carpet, then go for it.

SSharon  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2011, 08:39 PM

I'll have to post a better picture with the blinds that I have that I installed. They are a light cream color that I think was called vanilla. I think I'm going to get the rug as well and then work on picking out an ottoman/coffee table and an entertainment unit afterward. End tables will come some time after that since they are less of a priority.

I'm hoping andi*pandi is right and that anything on top of the rug will cover up some of its boldness.

Thanks everyone! (I'll post a pic once I get the rug)

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2011, 02:10 AM

Check out this app called "shopstyle". It has a bunch of options for rugs AND ottomans and such. I used it to find a design for my couch and bookshelf.

SSharon  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2011, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
I'd crave ice cream if I had that carpet It looks like melted ice cream to me.
Yes, yes it does.

Originally Posted by Macfreak7 View Post
Check out this app called "shopstyle". It has a bunch of options for rugs AND ottomans and such. I used it to find a design for my couch and bookshelf.
Neat app. It could use some other methods of refining searches, but it is fast and did a great job at giving me ideas and showing me what's out there.

Anyway, so what do you guys think?

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 9, 2011, 08:13 AM

It works OK. I think it'll look better with a table or ottoman on the rug though. Seeing the whole rug and how it interacts with the floor, my earlier concerns were unwarranted. Those colors sure do work well.

andi*pandi
Mar 9, 2011, 09:12 AM

The color is great, the rug is perfect... but I keep wanting to put the long couch on the wall under the windows, and move the tv more bottom right at an angle so both couches can view. The room is looking very cramped, with an ottoman...

SSharon  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2011, 11:01 AM

It works OK. I think it'll look better with a table or ottoman on the rug though. Seeing the whole rug and how it interacts with the floor, my earlier concerns were unwarranted. Those colors sure do work well.
It definitely needs a solid colored ottoman to cover up some of the rug and draw some attention away. Once I put stuff on the walls and get an entertainment unit with some display items I'm guessing the rug will almost be forgotten.

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
The color is great, the rug is perfect... but I keep wanting to put the long couch on the wall under the windows, and move the tv more bottom right at an angle so both couches can view. The room is looking very cramped, with an ottoman...
Hmm, clearly it is still a work in progress so maybe I'll give it a shot this weekend. I plan on getting an entertainment unit that isn't very deep so it doesn't penetrate into the room too much. It should help balance out the largeness of the couch on the left and make the room feel less cramped. Cozy maybe, but not cramped.

You can't see it in the picture, but there is a radiator directly beneath the window. I've never had a radiator before so I'm not sure how much clearance I need to give the couch or whether putting the larger couch there would obstruct the heat flow.

I'm just happy I have one of the few apartments in my complex where the air conditioner is in a sleeve in the wall rather than in the window.

Forum Links
Forum Rules