Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 4x DVD-R with 1x Ti Superdrive

4x DVD-R with 1x Ti Superdrive
iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 26, 2004, 03:30 AM

I have a Ti 1 GHz with 1x DVD-R superdrive. Apple has had some recent sales on Apple DVD-R media, including a 5-pack of 2x DVD-R for $7.99, and 4x DVD-R for $9.99. Currently, however, they no longer offer the 2x media.

My question: Is there any downside to using the 4x media on my 1x Superdrive? (I realize that the burn speed will be 1x regardless.)

Apple states, "A 2x SuperDrive writes to 4x media at 1x, so to obtain the highest performance from your 2x SuperDrive, we recommend that you continue using 2x DVD-R media just as you do today." Is Apple recommending this simply because 4x gives no advantage, or because of a potential problem (assuming that iMac users with original 2x Superdrive used the appropriate firmware update to handle faster media correctly...)

I'd appreciate any recommendations! Apple authorized online dealers typically charge $15 for a 5-pack of 2x, so it's actually cheaper to buy the 4x directly from Apple now.

iBorg

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 26, 2004, 10:21 AM

1) 4X DVD-R works fine with a 1X Ti SuperDrive.
2) You can flash it to 2X.
3) 4X DVD-R works fine with a 2X flashed Ti SuperDrive.
4) The 2X note about 4X media running at 1X only applies to 2X Pioneers. The Ti SuperDrive is a Matsushita/Panasonic.

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2004, 02:59 PM

Eug, the Aluminum 2x drives are MATSHITA as well correct?

So 4x Memorex Media will burn at 1x or 2x?
PowerBook G4
1.25GHz/512MB/80GB/SuperDrive/BT/APX/Backlit KB

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 26, 2004, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by ae86_16v:
Eug, the Aluminum 2x drives are MATSHITA as well correct?

So 4x Memorex Media will burn at 1x or 2x?
Yes, Matshita, and 2X.

iBorg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 26, 2004, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
1) 4X DVD-R works fine with a 1X Ti SuperDrive.
2) You can flash it to 2X.
3) 4X DVD-R works fine with a 2X flashed Ti SuperDrive.
4) The 2X note about 4X media running at 1X only applies to 2X Pioneers. The Ti SuperDrive is a Matsushita/Panasonic.
Thanks, Eug! I knew I could depend on you!

BTW, have you had any problems using the Superdrive flash upgrade? I read in some forums, somewhere, that some people had there Superdrive quit working after they did it. Also, did you use the firmware upgrade that made it region-free, also? What would you recommend?

Thanks, again!

iBorg

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2004, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by iBorg:
Thanks, Eug! I knew I could depend on you!

BTW, have you had any problems using the Superdrive flash upgrade? I read in some forums, somewhere, that some people had there Superdrive quit working after they did it. Also, did you use the firmware upgrade that made it region-free, also? What would you recommend?

Thanks, again!

iBorg
I have the region free firmware installed. Works fine for 2X DVD-R and 1X DVD-RW burning and playing DVDs from my region. I have not yet tried other region DVDs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules