Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > more RAM?

more RAM?
weemsc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2004, 02:24 PM

I'm about to buy a 12" powerbook this week. My question is how much RAM do I need? I'll be using the computer to run dreamweaver mx and photoshop (might get adobe creative suites) together quite a bit, plus all the other basics like e-mail, watching movies, music and all that good stuff. I had planned on upgrading to 512, but I'm worried maybe that won't be enough. I've read that I should upgrade as much as I can afford when I buy it. I don't have tons of money to spend, but if it's really worth it I think I can do it. Anyway, any help is very appreciated.
Thank you,
-Chris.

KidKit
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2004, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by weemsc:
\ I'll be using the computer to run dreamweaver mx and photoshop (might get adobe creative suites) together quite a bit, plus all the other basics like e-mail, watching movies, music and all that good stuff.
Are you intending to do all those things one at a time, or do you see yourself opening more than a couple of programs at the same time? The old "get as much RAM as you can afford" is very sound advice.

IMHO, 512 and even 256 mb is a pretty good baseline for most home-use-type intents and purposes, but go higher if you intend to open more than one memory intensive program at a time, which sounds like what you want to do.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy your new mac!

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2004, 12:49 AM

Congrats on Your new machine. . .

Depends on what you are using it for is a good start. If you are using for all the programs you listed at once, you might want to pick up another 512stick.

I point you to this thread. . . it is about RAM too, especially the last couple of post.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=198144
PowerBook G4
1.25GHz/512MB/80GB/SuperDrive/BT/APX/Backlit KB

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2004, 04:56 AM

Oh, you can never have enough ram. But really... a good number, or to me, a minimum amount needed for any computer is 512mb of ram. I have a gig, and I still don't think I have enough...

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2004, 07:24 AM

Originally posted by nobitacu:
Oh, you can never have enough ram. But really... a good number, or to me, a minimum amount needed for any computer is 512mb of ram. I have a gig, and I still don't think I have enough...

Ming
Yeah, that's right, I am only using ONE Safari window and I really need 2GB on my machine, because I could never have enough. {sarcastically}. . .
PowerBook G4

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2004, 07:36 AM

Originally posted by ae86_16v:
Yeah, that's right, I am only using ONE Safari window and I really need 2GB on my machine, because I could never have enough. {sarcastically}. . .
Yup, that's right, because other times you might NOT be only using one safari window. In which case... most people. Sorry, but I'm not going to believe that you ONLY use Safari with your Mac and nothing else. Sure, sometimes you might only be using one program, but that's only sometimes. Sooner or later with most users, you will be using more and more program at once. It adds up, so might as well prepare for it now than later and found out you need more ram.

Still, from what the person listed as the stuff he wants to use, yea, if he will be using all that at once, he should have 512mb of ram at least, which was what I suggested. Just look at the software he'll be running, if I was him, I would go no less than a gig.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2004, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by nobitacu:
. . . It adds up, so might as well prepare for it now than later and found out you need more ram.

Still, from what the person listed as the stuff he wants to use, yea, if he will be using all that at once, he should have 512mb of ram at least, which was what I suggested. Just look at the software he'll be running, if I was him, I would go no less than a gig.

Ming
Why? RAM prices will always drop. A Giga later will be cheaper than a Giga now.

No, I agree with you that for the programs that the Person listed, he should have at least 512mb. And maybe a GB. . .

But I just don't agree with the notation that you should buy as much as you could afford. Unless you like to waste money. In that case, you could send some my way.
PowerBook G4

dodo_nutter
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2004, 06:13 PM

i think you need more than the baseline 256 if your running those RAM hungry apps (ESPECIALLY if you have more than one open at once!) but don't buy from apple as part of there built to order option...you can get much cheaper RAM from other suppliers (i used www.crucial.com)

You may want to use the 256 for a while under normal use but open up activity monitor and watch the RAM used...if you still have free RAM then y get more? but if its maxed out then buy more. Just judge how much more you need from how easily it gets maxed out

I've got 768 and i use it all with 6-7 'simple' apps running so i think a new 512 stick would be called for but go see

weemsc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2004, 09:21 PM

first, thank you all for the replies, sorry it's taken me so long to get back to the forum. Anyway, a few questons. 1, is it hard to install RAM myself if was to order from somwhere like crucial?
2, would ordering RAM from someone besides apple mess with my applecare?
and lastly, off topic,
I noticed the software I'm looking at can be ran on hte ibook 800mhz, at a fraction of the price, I'm wondering now if the ibook would handle the jobs I need. I personally like the powerbook, but I don't know if it's worth the price difference?
any help is appreciated.
thanks,
-Chris.

KidKit
Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2004, 01:03 AM

1, is it hard to install RAM myself if was to order from somwhere like crucial?
2, would ordering RAM from someone besides apple mess with my applecare?
and lastly, off topic,
I noticed the software I'm looking at can be ran on hte ibook 800mhz, at a fraction of the price, I'm wondering now if the ibook would handle the jobs I need. I personally like the powerbook, but I don't know if it's worth the price difference?
any help is appreciated.
Installing 3rd party RAM is as easy as unscrewing a panel on the bottom of the PB using a small jeweller's screwdriver (the kind you use for eyeglasses) and inserting the stick of RAM into the memory slot.

RAM is considered a user installable accessory, it doesn't mess up your AppleCare coverage of the rest of your computer. If the memory stick doesn't play well (ie it freezes up Panther or something), simply return it. That's not a problem with most places, I know CircuitCity is quite good about it.

The iBook is a pared down version of the powerbook. Even though both machines use the G4 processor, you will see a difference in performance. It also has a lower maximum amount of RAM that you can put on the machine. I would suggest you pop into an Apple store to play around with both machines, to see which suits you better.

IMHO, I think you get what you pay for, the PowerBook is more expandible and will have a longer useful performance lifespan before you would consider upgrading. But that's just me I think the extra moeny I paid for my 12" PB over a 12" iBook was money well spent.

Good luck with your purchase and hope you enjoy your new mac soon!

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2004, 07:13 AM

and lastly, off topic,
any help is appreciated.
thanks,
-Chris.
Yeah like Kit said, even though it has an G4, the PowerBook is superior in everyway.

Especially looking at the programs you'll be running, you might wanna attach an external monitor (not now, maybe in the future), you can't on a iBook (mirroring only).

Also has less L2 cache. PowerBook has a better Videocard. It also has SuperDrive.

Those are probably my main issues.

Plus just the looks. . . The PowerBook just looks a hell of a lot better than the iBook. You might wanna look into a refub or a slightly used PowerBook, but get the 1GHz version though because the 867MHz isn't much better than the iBook.
PowerBook G4

Forum Links
Forum Rules