Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > The Adium X Public Beta Thread

The Adium X Public Beta Thread
kovacs
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2004, 08:50 AM

Welcome to the dawn of a new age of Adium

Adium is a multiple protocol instant messaging client. This is a culmination of a year long rewrite of adium, which now utilizes libgaim (the core part of gaim) to connect to multiple protocols, and is also based on a new plugin architecture. Partial address book integration, cool looking tabs, multiple protocols for instant messaging, and a compact contact list are some of the many features of the new Adium X

http://www.adiumx.com/

From their homepage:

Because to us 2.0 implies that it's finished. It's not finished. There is a whole lot more we have planned for this app, and honestly it's currently about halfway to where we'd like to see it. Changing our "show" name to Adium X allows us to use a version number we're more comfortable with . The application is still Adium, just our show name has changed.

Starting today we're moving to a weekly release schedule. Weekly releases will allow us to produce more reliable releases, and give us more time for perfecting and testing our changes. It also means that it will be easier for everyone to keep up to date. Starting with 0.50, we've added built in version checking, so Adium should let you know when a new release is available.
( Last edited by kovacs; Apr 10, 2004 at 02:26 PM. )

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 7, 2004, 09:47 AM

Just a heads up, status circles are no more part of Adium.

Otherwise, all fine

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 7, 2004, 10:11 AM

Back when Adium first came out, I used it over everything else and thought it was da-bomb.

With 10.2(?) and iChat Addressbook/Mail integration I just couldn't stay away from iChat. When iSight came out, it made iChat seem even more locked in.

AdiumX is a great application, they got the interface (like tabs, expanding windows, custom fonts) dead on, but until it integrates with iChat for iSight/Addressbook/Mail.app, it will be a runner up.

Possible?
- Have Adium read video awareness and send video requests to iChatAV?
- Have Adium be Mail.app aware?
- Menuling for Adium?

BZ

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2004, 10:25 AM

Originally posted by BZ:
- Menuling for Adium?
It used to have one; however, I think it's being tweaked and will return shortly...

kovacs  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2004, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by eevyl:
Just a heads up, status circles are no more part of Adium.

Otherwise, all fine
Oops, I just copied that text from MacUpdate's description, personally I have no idea what status circles are but they sound cool I'm still using proteus for the moment but I'm keeping my eye on Adium, the latest beta releases seem pretty stable but just aren't as feature complete as proteus is at the moment, however Adium has a large team of enthousiastic developers while Proteus has just one developer, you can literally see this App getting bigger and better with every single release and I predict a great future for it. I too would like to see a menuling ( like Proteus has ) and the ability to set your status as invisible. I visit the Adium forum from time to time and noticed that this application is much more flexible as it seems, the integration of Webkit is something to look out for. There is an enormous need for a decent MSN client for the Mac ( MSN is the undisputed number 1 here in west-europe ), we already have a couple of alternatives Proteus, aMSN, ... but we need one to rule them all...it will be either the next version of Proteus or the final version of Adium X ( which has the advantage of being free )... Only time will tell...

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2004, 12:59 PM

They need to put back brush metal back into the system. Or at least have an option for it.
PowerBook G4
1.25GHz/512MB/80GB/SuperDrive/BT/APX/Backlit KB

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2004, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by ae86_16v:
They need to put back brush metal back into the system. Or at least have an option for it.
brushed metal is the devil.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2004, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by Hi I'm Ben:
brushed metal is the devil.

I'm glad to see the Adium team have some direction again.

On a related note, Fire 1.0 is nearing release - and MSN group chat may make the final, plus file sending/receiving actually works.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2004, 01:29 PM

Yeah, another related note: Proteus 4 is nearing release...

Sticking with AdiumX till then, (and maybe after, we will see how Proteus turns out, seems like it will be nifty.)

-Owl

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2004, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
Proteus 4 is nearing release...
Any screenshots? New UI?

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Apr 7, 2004, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by Krypton:

On a related note, Fire 1.0 is nearing release - and MSN group chat may make the final, plus file sending/receiving actually works.
Works but with which service? I'd be surprised if MSN file transfer worked.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Apr 7, 2004, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by BZ:

AdiumX is a great application, they got the interface (like tabs, expanding windows, custom fonts) dead on, but until it integrates with iChat for iSight/Addressbook/Mail.app, it will be a runner up.

Possible?
- Have Adium read video awareness and send video requests to iChatAV?
- Have Adium be Mail.app aware?
- Menuling for Adium?
What do you mean by Mail and Address Book integration? There's already some very good Address Book integration in Adium 0.5 and Proteus 3. Proteus has always had very good Mail integration. Proteus also has Rendezvous support...so that's some iChat integration.

Don't think you'll ever see iSight for 3rd party-clients. And while it may be a runner up to you, to others that don't care about AIM, iChat has been the runner up (haha) since 1.0.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2004, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
Yeah, another related note: Proteus 4 is nearing release...

Sticking with AdiumX till then, (and maybe after, we will see how Proteus turns out, seems like it will be nifty.)

-Owl
Proteus 4 is nearing release, but it will be a major disappointment for some people. Justin has rewritten the core again (maybe with good reason), file transfer is there for some services (e.g. AIM) but not others (MSN). Buddy icons are also present for some services, and the history logger has been rewritten.

Screenshot here

(P.S Proteus site being updated for 4.0 release as I write this)

Fire on the other hand, does support MSN file transfer - receive works great and sending works occasionally (better than not at all ). Buddy icons are present for some services too. A single window interface has been written, but will be added post 1.0 as there are still some bugs.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2004, 04:04 PM

Proteus 4 is nearing release, but it will be a major disappointment for some people. Justin has rewritten the core again (maybe with good reason), file transfer is there for some services (e.g. AIM) but not others (MSN). Buddy icons are also present for some services, and the history logger has been rewritten.
Looks very nice...thanks for the information...

It's coming out today?

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 7, 2004, 04:06 PM

Addressbook and Mail.app awareness. Meaning, if you "Horsepoo!!!" logged on and have sent me an email, I see a little green dot next to your name in Mail and in my Addressbook that shows me you are currently logged on.

It is a great feature (mostly from Lotus Notes and SameTime).

I don't think AdiumX needs to do the video, just show that I have mine on and pass the information over to iChatAV for the actual video part. Since they are both using the Addressbook it should not be a problem.

BZ

Originally posted by Horsepoo!!!:
What do you mean by Mail and Address Book integration? There's already some very good Address Book integration in Adium 0.5 and Proteus 3. Proteus has always had very good Mail integration. Proteus also has Rendezvous support...so that's some iChat integration.

Don't think you'll ever see iSight for 3rd party-clients. And while it may be a runner up to you, to others that don't care about AIM, iChat has been the runner up (haha) since 1.0.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2004, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Looks very nice...thanks for the information...

It's coming out today?
Justin just replied in the forum, turns out he is looking towards a thursday/friday release.

However he has intentionally not mentioned any dates for some time, so don't expect this to be a concrete announcement. I forgot to mention that Proteus (like Adium, as they borrowed the idea) will now have WebKit based chat views - essentially themes for chatting, which look very slick.

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2004, 04:32 PM

This is what I miss in the new Adium, STATUS CIRCLES:

Krypton
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2004, 04:53 PM

Originally posted by waffffffle:
<snip>
Why are those any better than labels? Just curious.

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 7, 2004, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by BZ:
Addressbook and Mail.app awareness. Meaning, if you "Horsepoo!!!" logged on and have sent me an email, I see a little green dot next to your name in Mail and in my Addressbook that shows me you are currently logged on.
That is not a feature of iChat, but of AddressBook and Mail.app. Currently there is no way of making those app be other than iChat aware, send feedback to Apple about it. There is very little the Adium team can do about it programatically.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Apr 7, 2004, 05:31 PM

Fire on the other hand, does support MSN file transfer - receive works great and sending works occasionally (better than not at all ). Buddy icons are present for some services too. A single window interface has been written, but will be added post 1.0 as there are still some bugs.
What library is Fire using that allows MSN file transfer?

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Apr 7, 2004, 07:15 PM

Proteus 4 screenshots available at http://www.proteusx.com. Reload the page to cycle through the screenshots.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2004, 07:37 PM

I forgot to mention that Proteus (like Adium, as they borrowed the idea)
You mean like how Justin borrowed it from colloquy (which is where Adium got their idea from also, not from Proteus. They were both started at similar times though

Unless I'm much mistaken Proteus will be running on LibGaim also with the 4.0 release so they will share some of the same core bugs.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Apr 7, 2004, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by King Bob On The Cob:
You mean like how Justin borrowed it from colloquy (which is where Adium got their idea from also, not from Proteus. They were both started at similar times though

Unless I'm much mistaken Proteus will be running on LibGaim also with the 4.0 release so they will share some of the same core bugs.
Who cares who borrowed what and how as long as credit is given to the original author (Colloquy author). Justin at least made an effort to standardize webkit theme-ing but everyone else wanted to make their own format.

Would have been cool to have one format of emoticons and layout themes but noooo, now there's 3 version of each.

As for Fire...I don't care if it does audio/video for AIM or even MSN. Unless some serious UI rework is done in 1.0, it's off my list.

ambush
Banned
Apr 7, 2004, 10:45 PM

Delete Standard Message View plugin in Adium.app/Contents/Plugins and restart

= cool surprise

ambush
Banned
Apr 7, 2004, 10:46 PM

Proteus 4 looks a lot less beautiful than Proteus 3, IMHO

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Apr 7, 2004, 10:52 PM

Originally posted by ambush:
Proteus 4 looks a lot less beautiful than Proteus 3, IMHO
I personally hate the new toolbar icons but the rest looks really nice, IMO.

ambush
Banned
Apr 7, 2004, 11:01 PM

I personally hate the new toolbar icons but the rest looks really nice, IMO.
The new icon, the new site.. they both suck

anyway... Proteus was always crashy/bad in my case.... I hope he fixed it.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2004, 11:03 PM

Delete Standard Message View plugin in Adium.app/Contents/Plugins and restart

= cool surprise
Why delete it? Simply un-check the Plugin via the "Get Info" box of Adium...

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2004, 12:34 AM

I forgot to mention that Proteus (like Adium, as they borrowed the idea) will now have WebKit based chat views - essentially themes for chatting, which look very slick.

Actually, we borrowed the idea from colloquy, a great free irc client for os x.

resImadA
Apr 8, 2004, 12:35 AM

Justin at least made an effort to standardize webkit theme-ing but everyone else wanted to make their own format.
Get your facts straight. Justin never came to us proposing a standard. If he did, we would have suggested our method of inserting new content, since it's cleaner
Adam Iser
AdiumX.com

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2004, 12:37 AM

There is a screen shot thread of adium in action over at the funmac forums:

http://www.funmac.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6218

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2004, 12:39 AM

The status circles are going to be replaced when they can be. They were a horrid hack, and needed to be removed in order to make a lot of headway in other parts of the code.

There is a replacement on the way, but will come only with the contact list rewrite.

kovacs  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2004, 11:47 AM

Adium X 0.51 is out:

- Adium now works in 10.2 (Fixed crash on launch in 10.2)
- Fixed a crash when opening preference window
- Fixed a crash in the theme preferences
- Fixed resizing issues with the advanced preferences
- Fixed a crash in the contact alert window
- Fixed a crash when completing file transfers
- Cleaned up the 'auto-away' preferences
( Last edited by kovacs; Apr 9, 2004 at 12:52 PM. )

nforcer
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2004, 06:56 PM

There was a long thread about this on the funmac forums over a month ago. Adam Iser said "If a feature is unnecessary, it should be removed". Even though I didn't agree status circles were unnecessary since some people did and still do want them, I decided to inquire about what I believe is a truly unnecessary feature in an instant messaging client: tic-tac-toe.

My post was split into another thread where tic-tac-toe tried to be justified, I was called a troll, and then the thread was locked: view post here.

Morals of the story with status circles: I guess some features are more unnecessary than others, and constructive criticism makes you a troll.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2004, 07:04 PM

I just tried Tic-Tac-Toe actually with a another Adium user...pretty cool plugin if you ask me...is it necessary? Probably not. However, why not just disable the plug-in via the "Get Info" box of Adium if you'd like?

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2004, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
I just tried Tic-Tac-Toe actually with a another Adium user...pretty cool plugin if you ask me...is it necessary? Probably not. However, why not just disable the plug-in via the "Get Info" box of Adium if you'd like?
If you don't use it, it's like it's not even there

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2004, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by nforcer:
There was a long thread about this on the funmac forums over a month ago. Adam Iser said "If a feature is unnecessary, it should be removed". Even though I didn't agree status circles were unnecessary since some people did and still do want them, I decided to inquire about what I believe is a truly unnecessary feature in an instant messaging client: tic-tac-toe.

My post was split into another thread where tic-tac-toe tried to be justified, I was called a troll, and then the thread was locked: view post here.

Morals of the story with status circles: I guess some features are more unnecessary than others, and constructive criticism makes you a troll.
Status circles are returning, just in new less-hacked form.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

ambush
Banned
Apr 8, 2004, 11:12 PM

Originally posted by Stradlater:
Status circles are returning, just in new less-hacked form.
nice. screenshots?

are u a dev?

OreoCookie
Apr 8, 2004, 11:38 PM

Originally posted by Tick:
If you don't use it, it's like it's not even there
There's something small I'd like to have added: magnetic windows.

I can tuck Fire windows (what I have used before) at the corners of the screen. I'd like to have that in Adium, too, at least as an option.

It would be even better, if magnetic stacking would be enabled (similar to Adobe or Apple palettes).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2004, 01:17 AM

nice. screenshots?

are u a dev?
No screenshots, no developer; I just peruse the Adium board every so often and remember Adam expressing why they were taken out and that they will be worked on again in the future (although I think they're on hold for the time being).

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2004, 01:44 AM

Originally posted by Stradlater:
No screenshots, no developer; I just peruse the Adium board every so often and remember Adam expressing why they were taken out and that they will be worked on again in the future (although I think they're on hold for the time being).
The entire Contact List needs to be rewritten, from what I understand they'll be added then. Right now the primary goal are integrating with Libgaim .76. After this is finished and the bugs ironed out, new stuff will start being put in. (Such as a better Webkit message view, chat support, and the new contact list view.)

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 9, 2004, 09:12 AM

Thats open source for ya, its all about new and interesting features. See people have had the circles for ages and the labels were the new gimmick so suddenly no one wanted status circles anymore cos they'd got bored of them and whenever you say anything negative on an open source forum no matter how constructive you try to be you always get the CLICHE OPEN SOURCE NEGATIVE RESPONSE LECTURE which basically is just blah blah blah they're not paid blah blah blah we'll add that feature or fix that program destroying bug when we're finished doing gimmick feature X or redrawing all the graphics in the interface which seems to happene very week blah blah blah download the source and do it yourself blah blah blah
I mean can admin even change those ugly blue and green colours on the default message view yet? I asked for that months and months ago and it can be done in the source but everyone was too lazy to add the menu option and then they got on with the webkit view which is a great idea but for god sake at least add the colour options to your defeault view before you start making something as vast as that.

velodev
Senior User
Apr 9, 2004, 10:09 AM

My personal missing feature is having a status icon in the menu. I would almost instantly go back to iChat or Proteus just for that feature but Adium has me a little captured as of right now.

resImadA
Apr 9, 2004, 12:34 PM

I didn't call you a troll, I called your post a troll; which it was.

As we stated many times, a replacement for status circles is coming along with the contact list revamp. I don't understand why you're so bitter over this.
Adam Iser
AdiumX.com

resImadA
Apr 9, 2004, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by sushiism:
Thats open source for ya, its all about new and interesting features. See people have had the circles for ages and the labels were the new gimmick so suddenly no one wanted status circles anymore cos they'd got bored of them and whenever you say anything negative on an open source forum no matter how constructive you try to be you always get the CLICHE OPEN SOURCE NEGATIVE RESPONSE LECTURE which basically is just blah blah blah they're not paid blah blah blah we'll add that feature or fix that program destroying bug when we're finished doing gimmick feature X or redrawing all the graphics in the interface which seems to happene very week blah blah blah download the source and do it yourself blah blah blah
I mean can admin even change those ugly blue and green colours on the default message view yet? I asked for that months and months ago and it can be done in the source but everyone was too lazy to add the menu option and then they got on with the webkit view which is a great idea but for god sake at least add the colour options to your defeault view before you start making something as vast as that.

If you'd like to discuss clich�'s, we can talk about the clich� user making demands and expecting all development of an open source application to center around themself.
Adam Iser
AdiumX.com

krove
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2004, 01:14 PM

You mean software development of my favorite applications doesn't center around me?!?

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2004, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by resImadA:
I don't understand why you're so bitter over this.
I don't think he's mad over the status circles. I think he's more mad about the fact that he wasn't allowed to respond and that you made an 'example' out of him. (Criticize us and this is what you get! sort of thing).

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 9, 2004, 11:16 PM

( Last edited by Tick; Apr 10, 2004 at 01:43 PM. )

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2004, 11:45 AM

Why are those any better than labels? Just curious.
The most important thing that status circles offers is the ability to see the idle time on the LEFT side so that it doesn't overrun the buddy name if the screen name is long and the window is narrow (which commonly happens for me in AdiumX). Plus labels are UGLY. They take up way too much space to show the same information while status circles show in just a small fraction of that space. Status circles show all the same information that labels, idle time and status icons show in one spot that is always in the SAME place horizontally. Status circles was one of the best parts of Adium 1.x and it is the reason that I started using it to begin with. I know that some sort of replacement is coming for status circles but they are going to be icons and won't show idle time. This is why I am clinging to Adium 1.6.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2004, 12:40 PM

The most important thing that status circles offers is the ability to see the idle time on the LEFT side so that it doesn't overrun the buddy name if the screen name is long and the window is narrow (which commonly happens for me in AdiumX). Plus labels are UGLY. They take up way too much space to show the same information while status circles show in just a small fraction of that space. Status circles show all the same information that labels, idle time and status icons show in one spot that is always in the SAME place horizontally. Status circles was one of the best parts of Adium 1.x and it is the reason that I started using it to begin with. I know that some sort of replacement is coming for status circles but they are going to be icons and won't show idle time. This is why I am clinging to Adium 1.6.
Awhile ago, I think you could choose to align the idle time on the left, but I think this was part of the hacked status circles plug-in.

Anyways, if the buddy name is long and the idle time overruns the window, then do one of the following:
- Make the screenname into a smaller alias (or make the alias smaller) so that you can fit all the information into your narrow window.
- Make the font size of the buddy list smaller so that you can fit all the information into your narrow window.
- Turn on automatic horizontal window resizing with or without one of the previous options and if you refuse to do one of the first two, live with a wider list.

Oh, and if you don't like the way labels look, fool around with the preferences. You have a few options:
- Make it so labels ONLY encircle the name.
- Disable labels and learn how to tell status by colors you define.
- Disable labels and learn how to tell status by using status icons.

Forum Links
Forum Rules