Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Apple retial store

Apple retial store
Polo2883
Apr 11, 2004, 11:40 AM

I was wondering if the apple retail store would carry anything that is not the base configuration. Such as a 60gb hard drive in a 12" powerbook?

fener
Apr 11, 2004, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by Polo2883:
I was wondering if the apple retail store would carry anything that is not the base configuration. Such as a 60gb hard drive in a 12" powerbook?
No, they don't.

However,

They would be more than glad to sell you a 60 gig, and for an EXTRA cost, would be very very glad to swap it in to your new powerbook for you.

Well,

I don't recommend Neither of them.

Buy 60 gig from elsewhere, and install it yourself.

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2004, 09:53 PM

Originally posted by fener:
No, they don't.

However,

They would be more than glad to sell you a 60 gig, and for an EXTRA cost, would be very very glad to swap it in to your new powerbook for you.

Well,

But you'll void your warranty.
PowerBook G4
1.25GHz/512MB/80GB/SuperDrive/BT/APX/Backlit KB

discotronic
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2004, 11:09 PM

Now that is bad advice.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 12, 2004, 03:32 AM

Agreed. The 12" PowerBooks (like the iBooks) are bastards to take apart and reassemble. Not for the faint of heart.

tooki

bbales
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2004, 09:19 AM

I can't tell from your post -- do you already HAVE the PB? If not, just order it online in your build-to-order configuration. It takes a little longer (and by the way, the larger hard drive is well worth the wait).

Polo2883  (op)
Apr 12, 2004, 09:43 AM

Here's the deal. Since day one that i bought my ibook i have had problems galore. The hard drive died after 2 months, the computer randomly will not make from sleep, when I sent it back for the sleep issue the case came back deformed, rubber feet are missing and the computer still has the same issue. When they ship it back they shipped it to the wrong address and made me go hunting for it for 1 hour. So after 3 hours on the phone and playing phone tag, apple customer care broke down and is going to replace the unit with another unit. I didnt want an ibook so I asked for an upgrade and they said it was fine. So i was considering the 12" but looking at block diagrams of the 12" powerbook it seems that the 12" powerbook and 12" ibook have the same logic board so I am not getting the 12. What I am going to get now is a 15" base unit with the combo drive. apple also gave me the airport extreme card for free on the new unit for all the trouble and time that have been wasted. I use so much hard drive space it think a 60gb and a firewire drive with 180gb is enough.

dwood
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2004, 07:00 PM

No, they don't.

However,

Well,

Umm an Apple Retail Store would NOT sell you an internal HD, being they don't carry them. And they will not install a retail purchased HD in to your computer.

bkb
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2004, 08:47 PM

They would also be happy to custom build your laptop for you at he Apple Store. But it would be no different from doing it online at the Apple Store Online.
PBG4/12"/1GHz/1.25GB/60GB//SD/APX/10.3

velodev
Senior User
Apr 12, 2004, 10:46 PM

Originally posted by Polo2883:
What I am going to get now is a 15" base unit with the combo drive. apple also gave me the airport extreme card for free on the new unit for all the trouble and time that have been wasted. I use so much hard drive space it think a 60gb and a firewire drive with 180gb is enough.
Um, I believe Airport Extreme is standard in the 15".

I could be wrong, but my 15" has an Airport Extreme and I didn't ask for it. Maybe since you purchased the ComboDrive...?

Forum Links
Forum Rules