Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Export from Mail

Export from Mail
Spook E
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 20, 2005, 11:59 PM

Did a search but couldn't really find a good answer on this one:

Am getting ready to do a clean install of Tiger when I get hold of it and want to export all my messages from Mail so that I can import them when Tiger is up and running, whats the best method to do this?

I couldn't see anything in the menu of mail (currently using OS 10.3.9), just wondering if its hidden somewhere or if theres a file i can just copy out that holds all the message data.

thanks boys and grrrls

mchladek
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2005, 12:08 AM

Well, if your account is an IMAP, any messages in your inbox should be redownloaded upon setting up Tiger Mail.

If you don't want to do that or if you have several mailboxes, put all your messages in mailboxes. These mailboxes are located in in folder ~/Library/Mail/Mailboxes/ I would imagine you can transfer these files or the entire folder into the appropriate folder in Tiger.

Option #3: I believe Backup will backup mailboxes. So if all your messages are in mailboxes you can use this, too.

betasp
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 2005, 12:23 AM

Drag and drop the mailbox to the finder.

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
May 9, 2005, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by betasp
Drag and drop the mailbox to the finder.
So copy that on to a CD then Drag and Drop into Tiger's Mail? And it'll transfer everything in that mail box?
PowerBook G4
1.25GHz/512MB/80GB/SuperDrive/BT/APX/Backlit KB

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2005, 01:41 PM

Mail 2.0's importing of email leaves a lot to be desired according to several people here (myself included).

It's been very hard to tell what it does and why - sometimes you end up with empty folders, other times with more messages than the original mailbox had, other times with less. Not sure what the story is here. Hope it gets fixed with 10.4.1.

Keep it all backed up in other words in case something goes wrong. And when you've imported it all, check that it is in fact all there.

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
May 11, 2005, 12:56 AM

Yep the import is seriously screwed up. Keep that backup for a good while yet. 10.4.1 can't come soon enough for me, as it's lost the last 3 years worth of sent mail.

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

Forum Links
Forum Rules