Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Question for Logitech Z-5500 Speaker Owners

Question for Logitech Z-5500 Speaker Owners
Cory Bauer
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2006, 03:32 PM

Hey All,

I've been looking for a set of speakers for my 17" MacBook Pro. At the same time, I'd like to have surround sound in my living room for my xBox 360. I'm wondering if I can't kill two birds with one stone with the Logitech Z-5500 5.1 surround sound speakers? Do they have enough oomph for a living room, or would this sound bad? How long are the satellite speaker cables? What would you feel would be the maximum room size you could use this set in for acceptable audio quality? Thanks!
-Cory Bauer
[email protected]
http://www.sboobtv.com

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2006, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Cory Bauer
Hey All,

I've been looking for a set of speakers for my 17" MacBook Pro. At the same time, I'd like to have surround sound in my living room for my xBox 360. I'm wondering if I can't kill two birds with one stone with the Logitech Z-5500 5.1 surround sound speakers? Do they have enough oomph for a living room, or would this sound bad? How long are the satellite speaker cables? What would you feel would be the maximum room size you could use this set in for acceptable audio quality? Thanks!
Not sure on the sound question, I would think they would do for surround sound speakers in a living room. I use mine entirely for computer gaming. The speaker cables for the rear must be 12-16 feet. You could always buy regular speaker wires as the cables are just regular speaker wires like any normal stereo system has.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2006, 09:52 PM

For console gaming (i.e. your Xbox 360) they should be excellent. I use them with my PS2 with a digital optical cable and it makes games sound really good. About as much oomph as I could hope for. Even with a GameCube (which only outputs analog stereo) games sound good and games that support ProLogic II sound really good. Should work fine for your MBP too.

The rear speaker cables are kind of short for larger rooms. They're about 20 or maybe 25 ft. I'm not sure but I believe the newer versions use standard speaker wire as Leonard indicated. Mine are older and use RCA wires. Either way it shouldn't be hard to extend them.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 14, 2006, 12:47 AM

I own the Z5500. I use it in a bedroom and like it very much. The 5500 replaced a cambridge soundworks setup- one of the early gen. 5.1 mini systems. the cambridge system sounded good but i had trouble hearing dialogue because the center speaker was too small. the 5500 fixed that problem. That would be my concern, especially in a larger room. if the center speaker is too small dialogue may be difficult to hear.

Cory Bauer  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 14, 2006, 02:17 PM

Thank you very much for your replies! It sounds like everyone here is using them in a bedroom? After starting this thread yesterday I stumbled upon a review for the Logitech Z-5500 speakers that said they didn't perform very well when taken out of their element (bedroom). So that has me concerned. They'd be going into a large uncarpeted room with hardwood floors and high ceilings, which sounds like the worst environment for them. Good to know they use standard speaker wire, though.

I wasn't even going to consider these goofy looking things, but have actually found nothing but rave reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/tec...918209?ie=UTF8

Really what I'm looking for is a surround sound system for my living room that I can use with all my toys. All the "real" home theatre systems start at $400 and include a DVD player I don't need, which is why I've been considering high-end computer speaker systems. If anyone else has any advice or ideas, I'd love to hear them. Thanks very much all.
-Cory Bauer
[email protected]

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2006, 03:32 PM

i have the z-5500, the newer model with the non attached wiring and i use them in my dorm room and back home in the huge tv room i have and they sound amazing in both places. no need to worry about too little omph. these things go to boost 11 which means that if you are throwing a huge huge dance party than these speakers will be able to be heard over everyone. the sound quality is awesome and very soothing when listening. you cant go wrong with the z5500

Cory Bauer  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2006, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock
i have the z-5500, the newer model with the non attached wiring and i use them in my dorm room and back home in the huge tv room i have and they sound amazing in both places.
Thank you brassplayersrock, that is reassuring.
-Cory Bauer
[email protected]

MovieCutter
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2006, 04:17 PM

Yeah, I'd look at the Z-5450, same as the 5500, but wireless! I have the 5500, but only use the front 3 speakers as my office setup isn't condusive to rear speaker wires.

Forum Links
Forum Rules