Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Volumes will no longer mount

Volumes will no longer mount
Sebastien
Nov 2, 2000, 09:11 PM

I've got a problem I can't find a solution to:

After installing some software on my rev B iMac and restarting, the computer just stops at the smiley computer. Upon booting from CD, I found that the HD volumes would not mount automatically, I have to mount them manually from the disk utility every time. The volumes' data is still intact.

I've tried to zap the PRAM, rebuild the desktop, run Disk First Aid and Norton utilities 5 (which found and fixed some problems, but nothing that causes the HD volumes to mount again), installing a fresh System folder, updating the disk drivers. Seems like the OS 9 volume never wants to mount, so I can't boot off of it...

Since I have OS X installed I can boot into that (after selecting it as a boot volume after booting from CD), and use the system, but that's not always convenient for me.

Just wondering if anyone has recommendation on what steps to do/utilities to try to fix this problem...

Thx

[This message has been edited by Sebastien (edited 11-02-2000).]

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2000, 09:17 PM

have you manually selected your hard drive or the partition mac OS X is running off of in that new startup disk control panel? (i don't have the beta running on my machine, so i don't know the actual name for the thing.) alternatively, try updating/re-installing the drivers on to your hard disk.

-r.

Sebastien  (op)
Nov 2, 2000, 09:23 PM

Well that's the only way I can boot to OS X, but I can't boot my other OS 9 partition, even if I select it after mounting it when I boot from CD.

Seems like the volume never wants to mount, so I can't boot from it.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 2, 2000, 10:59 PM

Are your OS 9 partitions HFS (as opposed to HFS+)? OS X Public Beta is known to damage HFS partitions such that they no longer mount. I believe the answer is the latest release of Norton, but not sure. Search the OS X Support Forum, it has come up a number of times.

Sebastien  (op)
Nov 2, 2000, 11:49 PM

This doesn't seem to be the case, as both partitions are HFS+

I've had OSX/9 working fine before, this only happened when I installed software in OS9

[This message has been edited by Sebastien (edited 11-03-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules