Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Macintosh Keys Combinations.

Macintosh Keys Combinations.
Seagull
Feb 3, 2000, 05:33 AM

This is not a question but I thought could share some combinations on the Mac keyboard with other readers. If you have some more to add, that would be nice. These combinations are NOT on the Finder menus.

* This is a familiar one to many people, to restart the Mac if it is frozen, hold down the Command + Control keys and press the power key.

* To copy a file or folder, hold down the Option key and drag the file or folder to a different location, the file name will NOT have the "copy" word at the end.

* To make an alias of a file, folder or disk, hold down the Command and Option keys and drag the file, folder or disk to a different location.

* If you have many folders open and instead of using the mouse or press Command + W and close the folders one by one, you can close all of them with one click by holding down the Option key and click the close button on one of them .

* If you want to hide an application that is running in the foreground, hold down the Option key and click on the desktop or another area that is not connected to the application you want to hide.

* To see some credits of the people who made the Mac OS, hold down Command + Option + Control and select the menu where About My Computer used to be.

* Lastly, these combinations built into the Mac OS relating to taking screenshots. Hold down Command + Shift and press 3 to take a screenshot of the entire screen and a picture file will be create on your hard disk. Command + Shift and press 4 allows you to select an area to take a screenshot of. Turn Caps Lock on, hold down Command + Shift and press 3 to take a screenshot and store it on the clipboard. Still turning on Caps Lock, try holding down Command + Shift and press 4. You can also try with the Caps Lock on, press Command + Control + Shift and press 3 or 4 as well.

[This message has been edited by Seagull (edited 02-03-2000).]

disectamac
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2000, 11:28 AM

Nice post Seagull,

I like some of the neat shortcuts you mentioned above. I didn't know about the control + option + command while clicking on the Apple menu to read About the Mac OS Team as well as a
couple of others.
As much as I love my iMouse I get lazy using one after a while. One thing I try to do is, use as many shortcuts as possible to get around my desktop when I get tired using the mouse. So here's my short list that should be very common to just about everyone:
Getting Around The Desktop
Tab selects a different icon in alphabetical order
letter keys select the icon that begins with the letter you pressed
command + O(letter) Opens the selected icon
Tab again moves around from icon to icon
command + W closes the windows
command + Q quits most apps
command + Tab switches from between finder and apps
command + i gets info of selected icon
command + F will let you find something on your comp
command + D will duplicate the item selected
theres many others as well as the ones mention above....
command + N new folder (by the way, I would encourage creativeness with your folders, custom icons are awesome!! (not necessarily kineticon) :
etc etc etc..... a good place to start is The Icon Factory

I have a question about shorcuts....
Is it possible to select an icon and move it without using the mouse?

I know on my first mac I had the option of hitting a key combination that would allow for using the numbers keypad to move the cursor.

[This message has been edited by disectamac (edited 02-03-2000).]

Macxpert
Feb 3, 2000, 12:03 PM

Additional notes:
As with holding Option and clicking the close button to close all open windows in the finder, you can hold Option+Command+W to do the same thing.

To move the mouse pointer using your keyboard, use "Easy Access" - it is a control panel. You may not have it in your Control Panels folder but you can find it either in "Apple Extras:Universal Access" on your hard drive or on the Mac OS 9 CD under "CD Extras:Universal Access"

disectamac
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2000, 12:36 PM

Exactly! that's what it's called ...'Easy Access' ...I couldn't remember there for a sec.....Thanks Macxpert!!
I just hope it works smoother now than what it used to 8 or so years ago.

Seagull
Feb 4, 2000, 06:18 AM

I have another keyboard and mouse combination is that if you hold down the Option key and double click a folder to open it, the folder that holds the one you are opening will close automatically.

Macxpert
Feb 4, 2000, 09:38 AM

This key combination few people seem to know about, it is extremely handy however...

To select a folder on the finder you can use the arrow keys on the keyboard.
Additionally, once you have selected a folder you can use Command+DownArrow to open the folder.
To return to the parent folder just use Command+UpArrow.
In addition you can use Command+Option+DownArrow to close the parent foldre when you open a folder.
The same works for returning to the parent folder, Command+Option+UpArrow will close the child while opening the parent.

In List mode there are some extra features.
Command+RightArrow acts like clicking the triangle next to a folder to expand the list, Command+LeftArrow will collapse the folders list.
I'm not quite sure what the use of this next tip would be but I know I've used it a lot in the past, I just can't remember why!
In List view you can open ALL folders without worrying about also opening any files simply by doing Select All (Command+A) and then Command+RightArrow to expand the list view of every folder. Furthermore if you do Select All again after each folders list expands you can expand the lists of any enclosed folders using Command+RightArrow again...and again...and again...and again
Finally, after you have expanded every folder on your entire hard drive and realized "oh **** what have I done!?" you can in one simple step collapse EVERY folder you expanded - Select All and then Command+LeftArrow works beautifully

Jeff Edsell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2000, 11:28 AM

Here's one...

If you're using Multiple users, and you're at the login screen, there is a Shut Down button, but no apparent way to put the machine to Sleep.

Command + Shift + 0 (that's zero) will do it.

Jeff

tadd
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 11, 2000, 12:02 AM

Command-Tab goes to a different application

Command-Dragging an icon automatically places the item on a grid if you have snap to grid turned off, or lets you get around snap to grid if you have it turned on.

Command-Option double click on the memory control panel will give you an extra set of options that let you skip the startup memory tests.

While dragging an item over a folder, the folder will eventually open and let you continue dragging. Pressing the SPACE bar skips the open delay and opens the folder immediately.

Command click-hold the title of a finder window will give you the option of going UP in the folder tree towards the desktop.

To kill off the current application if is frozen or whatever, do Command-Option-Escape and it will give you a Force Quit or Cancel choice.

Command Period will stop some things that are tying up the computer, like printing or copying even if there is no menu option giving you that opportunity.

Off topic but related hints:
You can make an alias to the System Folder, to Control Panels, and to the Apple Menu and put them all in Favorites. This saves time.

You can drag the Application menu off of the title bar (tear off) and use it as a one click selection menu to change applications.

------------------
Tadd Torborg

DavidAnders
Feb 11, 2000, 02:42 PM

I have a page of Key Modifiers at my site: http://davidanders.homepage.com/keymod.htm

RockLord
Feb 12, 2000, 03:07 PM

A couple of points, some one said ...

"Command-Option double click on the memory control panel will give you an extra set of options that let you skip the startup memory tests."
Mostly right, but drop the Command key, it's not needed. Option double click to open the memory panel to get the memory test option.

"Command click-hold the title of a finder window will give you the option of going UP in the folder tree towards the desktop."
Righto! In addition you can Option-Command click while doing this to close the window you are leaving.

Neat stuff the Mac OS!

wlonh
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2000, 04:27 PM

ahem... one MUST hold down the Option and Command keys, i say_MUST_hold these keys down while SELECTING the Memory control panel from the Apple Menu to get access to the Startup Memory tests... furthermore, NO amount of clicking on the Memory control panel while holding down ONLY the Option key will access the Startup Memory test section of the Memory control panel... not in MacOS 8.6 OR MacOS 9...

AND use Navi iRAE and you do not have to use ANY keys to access the titlebar pathway... JUST CLICK AND HOLD... presto.

the following is meant to be a bit of good-natured teasing:

you bunch o' rookies you!!!

sorry, i HAD to say that.

Paul Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2000, 10:03 AM

My apologies first if I have stepped anyone's toe.

The caps lock key pressed allows the screen-shot cursor to become a bulls-eye, which let's the user take a screen shot of the WINDOW and its contents (but nothing else). Pressing the CONTROL key saves it to the clipboard (regardless of command-shift-3 or command-shift-4, and regardless of whether caps lock is pressed).

Under Apple Help or Apple Guide, there is a whole list of shortcuts. Just enter the search word "shortcut" and you will see the most commonly used items.

I thank all of you for the undocumented tips/keystrokes.
> * Lastly, these combinations built into the Mac OS relating to taking
> screenshots. Hold down Command + Shift and press 3 to take a
> screenshot of the entire screen and a picture file will be create on
> your hard disk. Command + Shift and press 4 allows you to select an
> area to take a screenshot of. Turn Caps Lock on, hold down Command +
> Shift and press 3 to take a screenshot and store it on the clipboard.
> Still turning on Caps Lock, try holding down Command + Shift and
> press 4. You can also try with the Caps Lock on, press Command +
> Control + Shift and press 3 or 4 as well.

RockLord
Feb 17, 2000, 04:59 AM

Wlonh, your absolutely right, of course! The memory tests are indeed accessed by holding down the Option AND Command keys in the manner you described.

My apologies to everyone. What can I say? Oops! This is me wearing my sheepish face!

Now I hope people will still talk to me, despite the 50 wet noodle marks.........

[This message has been edited by RockLord (edited 02-17-2000).]

kkneisley
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2000, 12:26 PM

Has any of these changed in OS9?
Please let me know! I haven't installed 9 yet.

[This message has been edited by kkneisley (edited 02-19-2000).]

King Chung Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2000, 10:35 PM

Command-Option-Power = Sleep
Command-Option-Shift-Power = Shutdown*
*this shuts down the computer without quitting applications (it does hang up remote access first though)

P7A77
Feb 28, 2000, 07:07 PM

The keyboard shortcuts are, in my opinion, one of the best things about the MacOS. I only wish I knew as many for the Wintel machines I use at work. Apple used to have a "Finder Shortcuts" program or something back in the day. Do they still include such a thing in their tutorials?

The only thing I wish they would implement is the ability to get to the menu bar with the keyboard. And to tab through dialog box buttons (tho' thankfully some apps have keycommands for a lot of them). I haven't seen this feature mentioned in OSX previews, but one can only hope...

Aurora
Feb 28, 2000, 08:49 PM

Does anyone know the combo to spin down the hard disk? I used to know it and it was command shift (something) zero.

Aurora
Feb 28, 2000, 08:55 PM

To activate a mini debugger program (MacsBug) press command power , this is useful for fixing Finders that wont respond , just press command power , type g and press enter.
Additionally , if the findder is frozen and you cant force a quit , open MacsBug , type
SM O A9F4 , then enter then type G O , this usually quits the Finder and leaves all other apps running. (Little off subject wasn't it?)

krabat
Feb 29, 2000, 10:03 AM

anyone know why the opt+cmd+esc. doesnt' work (99 out of 100) on OS 8.6/iMac?

krabat

------------------
your body is water, your mind at sea
your body is water, your mind at sea

RockLord
Feb 29, 2000, 05:42 PM

I have a Rev.B iMac running 8.6 and the opt+cmd+esc to force quit works just fine for me. Have you noticed this happening with any particular extensions or programs?

CharD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2000, 02:44 AM

New Mac User here... how do I an icon's icon or graphic. Downloaded some of those cool icons from The Icon Factory, but don't know how to replace an existing icon with one of these new icons.

Thanks!
G5 Dual, 12" Au PB, Nikon Coolscan IV ED, Epson 1200 scanner, Canon i950 printer; Sony GV-D900, Sony DCR-TRV900, Canon D60, Nikon 990, Canon S400 Yes, too much stuff :cool:

RockLord
Mar 1, 2000, 04:44 PM

CharD said -

"how do I an icon's icon or graphic. Downloaded some of those cool icons from The Icon Factory, but don't know how to replace an existing icon with one of these new icons"

Actually, it's just simple copy and paste operation.
To change an icon for just about any file, select the icon you want to be the New One, Get Info on it (CMD I or Get Info from file menu)
Now, click on the icon pictured in the Info window (a selection border will appear) Copy it, (CMD C or Copy from the edit menu)
Then go to the file with the old icon you want to change, open it's info panel, select the old icon in the panel, Paste in the new icon (using CMD V or Paste from edit menu) and Presto! New Icon! Close both info panels and your done.

[This message has been edited by RockLord (edited 03-01-2000).]

Simon Kornblith
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2000, 07:29 AM

More key combinations:

* Escape at a dialog presses cancel

* Command-O or Command-S press the open and save buttons at an open/save dialog.

* Holding down option while moving a file from a removable disk or floppy copies it to your hard disk, rather than putting it on the desktop.

------------------
Simon Kornblith
Computer Consultant
Programmer

Forum Links
Forum Rules