Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Finally got 9.0.4....boy is it screwy

Finally got 9.0.4....boy is it screwy
sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2001, 02:05 PM

Alrighty i got 9 then downloaded the update to 9.0.4.... Heres a small sample of what happens.

1. AIM cannot stay connected or any internet connection for that matter when the computer is put to sleep.

2. I cannot use the mouse to put the computer to sleep...like special-sleep, or by using the power button on the keyboard and clicking sleep...the monitor goes black for one second then reawakes.

3. One USB port on the side of my iMac has stopped functioning and is not longer read by the computer...and another USB port on my keyboard does the same.

AS i have lots of work to complete and CDs to burn, i must get everything working right....any idea on what could be causing one, or all, of these problems? Thanks in advance for any help.

------------------
-->Sk

presspics
Feb 24, 2001, 04:57 PM

Try the Software Update control panel and make sure everything is up to date. I believe there was a ROM update for the iMacs. also couldn't hurt to Zap the PRAM and rebuild the Desktop.

suprz
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2001, 07:34 PM

my imac came with os9.0 and i had alot of stability problems. and mind you this was with a machine that had only netscape, ie5, real player, and aim on it for 3rd party software. it would freeze alot etc... i downloaded the upgrade to os9.0.4 and it is a rock!! it is so good, i am only considering upgrading to os9.1 when i can put it on a seperate external hd. as far as your sleep problems, my computer always disconnects from the internet when i put it to sleep. i figure this is due to the same security protocols that disconnects from the internet due to lack of activity, and not a bug with os9.0.4. (it even did it with os9.0

------------------
" I think,
therefore....IMAC
"The only time that man gets to actually leave a physical mark upon this earth is in death, and even then, it is only a gravestone proclaiming his demise"

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2001, 01:04 AM

Already zapped the PRAM to hell......and how would i go about rebuilding the desktop?? Will that even help what i have outlined here (namely the USB problems)?

------------------
-->Sk

Cipher13
Feb 25, 2001, 06:26 AM

That won't help the USB probs... I'm not sure about that. Maybe update USB drivers?
Try OS 9.1?
To rebuild the desktop, hold Apple-Option as the Finder loads.
At either startup, or force quit the Finder, then hold Apple-Option as it reloads.

Cipher13

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2001, 05:04 PM

Alrighty heres the update. Me and the Apple tech. pinpointed that the problem is stemming from my USB Lacie Burner.....great. It seems to kill the port when plugged into it. Now i go to Lacie's website and find this http://www.lacie.com/support/cdrw_usb_update.cfm Now heres my real question as is says if i have a certain Firmware update it would cause problems.... now would that frimware update be the one needed to upgrade to OS 9??? How would i find this out.

------------------
-->Sk

Cipher13
Feb 26, 2001, 05:48 AM

Have you searched at http://asu.info.apple.com? For 'firmware'?

Cipher13

TheJoshu
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2001, 08:05 AM

With OS 9, dial-up internet connections die when you put the computer to sleep. I tried to figure out how to go around this, but I found it's just easier to use a screensaver which doesn't affect anything like the internet connection.

Or get DSL, and be happy!

------------------
Graphite iMac DV/SE (400MHz, 128 MB RAM, DVD, 13GB HD)
Coming Up Next: 500MHz Titanium PowerBook G4!

Forum Links
Forum Rules