Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac G5 Stumper

iMac G5 Stumper
exiva
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2007, 05:20 AM

I have an iMac G5 1.6GHz with 1gb of ram. Lately the machine has been acting weird... I came home one day and the machine's fans were going 100%, nothing on the display, nothing responding. My only option was to hold down the power button to turn it off. Now today it's started to power itself off... but here's the kicker, ONLY when it's in OSX... even with the Tiger install disc. It just powers off.

I've run the Apple Hardware Test cd and it passed with flying colors... I let it sit at the test screen for about 4 hours, stayed on fine. I ran it in single user mode, it runs fine. I start OSX *poof*. I start the OSX installer... *poof*

My iMac qualifies for the recall problem "iMac G5 Repair Extension Program for Video and Power Issues - September 2005" but it's not one of the issues listed. Anyone have any ideas or should I just take it in for the recall and hope for the best??
12 Inch G4 iBook | 256 MB Ram | 30 GB Hdd
Purchased January 24, 2004

P
Jan 13, 2007, 02:00 PM

Something in the system, most likely the CPU, is overheating. Happened sometimes on the earlier G5s, and you don't see it when running the test program because then the fans are always running at full blast, so everything is cooler than normal.

You could try resetting the Power Management unit, but to be honest, just take it in to the closest Apple Store.

exiva  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2007, 06:47 PM

I don't think its overheating. It dies after 15 minutes after being off for 8 hours. I checked the iStat Temp widget and it was only 130F. It seems like maybe a power supply issue.

P
Jan 14, 2007, 02:20 PM

The power supply is heavily loaded when booting - if you can get it boot reliably, the it's probably not the PS - unles it's something in the PS that is overheating, which can happen. There have been problems with G5s that crash at fairly low temperatures.

In either case, I think you have to take it in.

exiva  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2007, 03:10 PM

I called up Applecare last night, and they told me to take it in for the "iMac G5 Repair Extension Program for Video and Power Issues - September 2005" recall. Hopefully that takes care of it.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2007, 02:22 PM

Take it to the Apple Store for repair. They will put in a new MLB and Power Supply. Back up your data if you have anything important.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Forum Links
Forum Rules