Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The greatest film ever made. *Updated!*.

View Poll Results: What would you rate Babel?
Poll Options:
1 20 votes (46.51%)
2 1 votes (2.33%)
3 4 votes (9.30%)
4 2 votes (4.65%)
5 1 votes (2.33%)
6 3 votes (6.98%)
7 4 votes (9.30%)
8 5 votes (11.63%)
9 2 votes (4.65%)
10 1 votes (2.33%)
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll
The greatest film ever made. *Updated!*. (Page 2)
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2007, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by macgeek2005 View Post
In music, people can choose what Genre they want to listen too, so those that want to listen to low life music as opposed to sophisticated music, can have a choice. Someone that likes Rap won't listen to classical, but if they did, they'd talk about how boring and bad it is. In Movies, theres no distinction. Everybody watches everything, so the Mozart of movies is shown to the low lifes who can't appreciate it, and therefore it gets judged by the less intelligent majorities.
Wait, are you trying to say there aren't movie genres like there are music genres? That's really not the case. Most people can identify a movie's genre from the trailer more quickly than they can identify a song's genre by listening to it. For instance, it was instantly clear to me and everybody I know that Babel was going to be a complex, thoughtful, artistic piece about the relationships of people around the world. I don't think anybody was going into Babel expecting Rambo.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2007, 03:52 AM

I went away from Babel wishing it was better, especially since I thought the cast was good. Brad Pitt was not that great in it. Only movie he has been awesome in is True Romance (the stoner on the couch), and almost as awesome in Snatch.

Babel was trying to hard to make you feel sorry for these characters without actually ending the damned film! I felt the filmakers ran out of tape at the end. I suppose the message of the film was that we don't really take care of our fellow man too well. Already knew that.

The mexican maid lady really took too many risks and really got what she deserved in the end. Sad.

I am getting tired lately of constantly trying to figure out what the heck they are telling or insinuating in these movies.

My favorite movies are Scarface and Team America. Seriously. If those aren't intellectual enough for you, then tough titties.

Movies are ENTERNTAINMENT. That is what I want when I walk away from a $10 movie. I don't want to walk away wondering what the hell just happened.

Departed was great. Not Goodfellas or Scarface great, but pretty great.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2007, 03:52 AM

I just saw The Departed, and that's the final straw for me. I'm writing a letter of hate to the Academy. To give The Departed best picture over Babel is a ****ing crime to art and genius. Martin Scorsese is a ****ing low life piece of junk, and his movie was made for ****ing idiots.
Now that was a ****ing brilliant film.

Not terribly deep, but wow.

Babel was a work of art. Only the intellectuals in the country, (who are the minority by far) can appreciate a really good movie, and that's why Babel didn't have much success in the USA (What I like to call the United **** Association).
:looks over the lists of films he posted:
:reads through above statements again:

:...:

:tries to keep a straight face:

Ahem.

:guffaws:

Tiresias
Mar 5, 2007, 04:07 AM

My words fall past your ears, like an egg being cracked above an empty abyss, with no bowl to catch it.
Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Words...fail me.

greg
Apparently they fail macgeek too

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2007, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Wait, are you trying to say there aren't movie genres like there are music genres? That's really not the case. Most people can identify a movie's genre from the trailer more quickly than they can identify a song's genre by listening to it. For instance, it was instantly clear to me and everybody I know that Babel was going to be a complex, thoughtful, artistic piece about the relationships of people around the world. I don't think anybody was going into Babel expecting Rambo.
Yes, but there still isn't a clear enough distinction. If Babel is brought to a theater somewhere, there are thousands of people living in the very near area, and many of them will go to see the movie just because it's there, and not because they're "sure" they'll like it. It's not the same with Classical Music/Rap Music.

And if you ask me, Babel is "Classical" movie, while "The Departed" was Rap. Go find out for yourself how much more complex, harder to write, harmonically brilliant, classical music is compared to rap.

Now, i'm off to give a speech on why Mac's are Better than PC's.... i'll be back in the evening.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2007, 10:27 AM

Yes, but there still isn't a clear enough distinction. If Babel is brought to a theater somewhere, there are thousands of people living in the very near area, and many of them will go to see the movie just because it's there, and not because they're "sure" they'll like it. It's not the same with Classical Music/Rap Music.

And if you ask me, Babel is "Classical" movie, while "The Departed" was Rap. Go find out for yourself how much more complex, harder to write, harmonically brilliant, classical music is compared to rap.

Now, i'm off to give a speech on why Mac's are Better than PC's.... i'll be back in the evening.
How can you ever be sure you'll like a piece of art?

All glory to the hypnotoad.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2007, 11:35 AM

The problem with metaphors is that they only say what you think they say if you actually have an idea of what you're talking about.

You fail realize that there are an awful lot of really terrible "classical" orchestras.

Which is of higher value to you, my esteemed "intellectual": The Eagles performing "Hotel California" or the local Middle School choir and band performing Carl Orff's "Carmina Burana"?

I know I'd rather watch a masterful rendition of a defining moment in popular culture than the mediocre execution of what may have started as a good idea.

Did you know, btw, that much of your valued "classical" music used to be "popular", the same way many of those movies on those lists may (or may not) have been box-office hits but are now "classic films"?

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2007, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
MacGeek,

how many movies have you actually seen?

How many off this list? - 100 Best movies in the world - top 100 greatest films

Or, to make it easier, just Hollywood? - AFI's 100 YEARS...100 MOVIES
TOOTSIE??????? I have just lost ALL respecit for AFI. They are smoking some damn good weed out there, and I want some.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2007, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by macgeek2005
How many of you wouldn't have liked the godfather
Godfather wipes it's ass with your favorite movies 'son'

I just saw The Departed, and that's the final straw for me. I'm writing a letter of hate to the Academy. To give The Departed best picture over Babel is a ****ing crime to art and genius. Martin Scorsese is a ****ing low life piece of junk, and his movie was made for ****ing idiots.
The Departed wasn't great, but it was damn good cinema. Does 'for morons' mean it was to violent for your little underdeveloped scrotum? I think so.

Babel was a work of art. Only the intellectuals in the country, (who are the minority by far) can appreciate a really good movie, and that's why Babel didn't have much success in the USA (What I like to call the United **** Association).
There is nothing funnier than someone stating an OPINION and then basically calling all those who disagree with him uneducated, perhaps you'll eventually need to trade in the shovel for a backhoe for that hole yer diggin.

In music, people can choose what Genre they want to listen too, so those that want to listen to low life music as opposed to sophisticated music, can have a choice. Someone that likes Rap won't listen to classical, but if they did, they'd talk about how boring and bad it is. In Movies, theres no distinction. Everybody watches everything, so the Mozart of movies is shown to the low lifes who can't appreciate it, and therefore it gets judged by the less intelligent majorities.
Condescending and wrong. I listen to Rap/Hip Hop/Rock/Classical you name it. I've also seen 400 more movies than you have. See, I have what is called "perspective" only gained through actually experiencing as many different tastes as possible, rather than being a little HS prick who shoots his wad over every movie he sees.

Babel stretched the possibilities with actors and cameras to the breaking point.
Oh god, I haven't seen any camera work that rivals Kubrick apart from a very select few films. The fact that you award a new movie with such credentials shows just how immature a movie watcher you are.

Come back to these forums in 10 years and you won't even remember Babel.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2007, 01:08 PM

I'm a little skeptical of the AFI list because ALIEN wasn't on there.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

glypht
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2007, 01:08 PM

I saw Babel recently. It was alright, but nothing special - 7/10. Personally I found it a bit meandering... if that makes sense.

Better films I've seen recently include:

Children of Men
The Prestige
Stranger than Fiction

And a very quick off-the-top-of-my-head rundown of some of my all-time favourites, for reference:

Get Shorty
Fight Club
Traffic
As Good As It Gets
12 Monkeys
The Jacket (and most other Sodebergh films)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2007, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by glypht View Post
Children of Men

12 Monkeys

Children of Men was an excellent movie.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2007, 01:34 PM

Yeah, regarding the recent spate of Mexican director genius I certainly enjoyed Pan's Labyrinth better than Babel, and Children of Men as well (which I thought was a better film as a whole, although the acting/script wasn't as good as Babel).

Either way, I for one am pretty damn happy we've got those Mexicans giving us some good flicks to enjoy over the past couple years. I really like what's going on down there.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2007, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Yeah, regarding the recent spate of Mexican director genius I certainly enjoyed Pan's Labyrinth better than Babel, and Children of Men as well (which I thought was a better film as a whole, although the acting/script wasn't as good as Babel).

Either way, I for one am pretty damn happy we've got those Mexicans giving us some good flicks to enjoy over the past couple years. I really like what's going on down there.

greg

I like their food too.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2007, 01:56 PM

I am glad this isn't another Secret Garden thread. But Babel? I give it 6.5/10. I have to say I bet macgeek enjoyed it due to the nudity. It shouldn't have been nominated for Best Picture.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2007, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I am glad this isn't another Secret Garden thread. But Babel? I give it 6.5/10. I have to say I bet macgeek enjoyed it due to the nudity. It shouldn't have been nominated for Best Picture.
Oh what the hell do you know about it anyway?! You're not an intellectual!

greg

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2007, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I don't know about macgeek, but I certainly enjoyed it due to the nudity.

Nah, not really. Rinko Kikuchi impressed me with her acting more than her AAs. I'd actually say the acting was the strongest part of that movie.
Chuck
___

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2007, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I don't know about macgeek, but I certainly enjoyed it due to the nudity.

Nah, not really. Rinko Kikuchi impressed me with her acting more than her AAs. I'd actually say the acting was the strongest part of that movie.
I too enjoyed the nudity; yes, she is a good actress. Not much more than a mediocre movie, though.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2007, 03:00 PM

You sir, are a douche-bag.

Guys, please remind me to stay away from this kids threads. They make me want to throw my computer at him.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2007, 03:07 PM

This kid's a comedian, don't you know? First he can't shut up about a film adaption of a crappy play, and then he's making similar claims about what is little more than a mediocre film that only got attention because of some star power and this year's fascination with foreign directors. You shouldn't take it seriously.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2007, 03:30 PM

...was filmed in a very linear fashion.
Oh GOD. I am so sick of this "let's put the scenes all out of order to make it artistic" crap. It worked in Pulp Fiction, it was cute in Memento, but it's not something that should be "catching on." Films are supposed to be "linear." Reality is "linear." Things all happen in the order they happen. Movies certainly shouldn't be criticized for not doing that, and if you think the only way for the audience to "get" how creative you are is to deliberately confuse the plot by scrambling it, you're not all that creative after all.

As for Babel, I thought it was the worst movie I'd seen in a long long time. But to be fair, I missed the first 10 minutes and had to have them described to me (before starting). But it just dragged onnnnnnnnn (and that was watching it in fast forward). What the heck was the point of it taking so long to do anything, and what exactly what gained by having it be out of order in this movie? Anyone can sum it up for me?

Also, was that cracking an egg thing an account hack? It seems really out of character for both people who said it last night.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2007, 03:40 PM

I just thought it was funny, so I copied-and-pasted it into an overly serious thread as a joke.
Chuck
___

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2007, 03:43 PM

ok cool. Having not seen this one (until just now) it kind of freaked me out. It reads a little like a suicide note.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2007, 03:50 PM

Guys, why are we getting so intense and personal about this?

Macgeek likes the movie, others do not... who cares?

Yes, Macgeek is acting belligerently, but it is probably best to just ignore them than to bash heads with him and try to convince him of this. The subject matter just doesn't make it worth anyone's while because it is entirely inconsequential.

Just my two cents...

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2007, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Guys, why are we getting so intense and personal about this?

Macgeek likes the movie, others do not... who cares?

Yes, Macgeek is acting belligerently, but it is probably best to just ignore them than to bash heads with him and try to convince him of this. The subject matter just doesn't make it worth anyone's while because it is entirely inconsequential.

Just my two cents...
True. You cannot convince a teenager that a movie with a naked Japanese chick is not quality. This is an immutable law of the universe.
Chuck
___

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2007, 07:12 PM

he is at an age when hormones are racing through his body. his mother can't stop him from getting what he wants (the sword thingie), so he thinks he has control over everything. at the age he is, this is a very bad thing. yes, i agree he is a douche bag, ass hat, ect., I still feel sorta sorry for him though. hopefully he will transition out of this phase he is in and into something better. what this kid really needs is a guide.

let me ask you about yourself macgeek:

1) is your father still around?
2) do you believe that everyone around you is a liar and that you are the only one telling the truth?
3) do you feel alone, even when with other people around?
4) is your sleeping area cleaned by your own self, or by another? (laundry, garbage.. as well)

-a

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2007, 10:15 PM

MacGeek 1995, one day you will realize that you are not the only person in the world, and the chances of someone liking exactly the same things as you do are exactly 4,000,000:1.
( Last edited by imitchellg5; Mar 5, 2007 at 10:22 PM. )

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2007, 10:27 PM

Tell me more about yourself. What do you do for a living? How successful are you? I.E. Are you intelligent?

Your post sounded so incredibly idiotic, and i'm happy for you that you have a parter who is as stupid as you, but seriously man, seriously, stupidity of that level should be censored, even compared to my posts sometimes.
Then put him on ignore, cry me a river, build me a bridge, and get over it.

climber
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2007, 10:33 PM

Did anyone else rate this film a one just because? I never even saw it and did
climber

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2007, 10:50 PM

This is when I leave this thread, and i'll tell you why.

People making incorrect assumptions about me, and then stating them as fact. When the new people come in, read what you've written, assume it's true, and then start making fun of me for something that isn't true. That doesn't work, and I can't believe people are block headed enough to believe stuff without actually asking me.

I thought the departed was a terrible movie, not because there was too much violence in it.

To Brassplayersrock:

Answer: 1: yes, 2: no, 3: sometimes, because I feel so much more intelligent and aware than them, 4: by another.

Treating false assumptions as fact doesn't work for me, and I don't have time to constantly correct you guys when you start stating false things about me, so see ya!

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2007, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by climber View Post
I have never wanted to punch my screen more. You are a ****ing idiot and a moron. If I saw you in the street, not even knowing who you are, i'd probably walk to the other side out of pure instinct.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2007, 10:57 PM

reported ^ dude, seriously, CALM DOWN and climb off your high horse okay? you need some serious serious help

edit:
while you're here. check this out: http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...appiness-test/

Railroader
Banned
Mar 5, 2007, 11:03 PM

[Answer below.]
I have never wanted to punch my screen more. You are a ****ing idiot and a moron. If I saw you in the street, not even knowing who you are, i'd probably walk to the other side out of pure instinct.
Climber, after reading this I did.

[reported]

Railroader
Banned
Mar 5, 2007, 11:05 PM

Answer: 1: yes, 2: no, 3: sometimes, because I feel so much more intelligent and aware than them, 4: by another.
1. I am surprised. Now, answer this: is he home much?
2. Now give us a percentage of the people of the world you think you are smarter than.
3. I am not surprised by this answer
4. I could probably have answered this one for you.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2007, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock View Post
reported ^ dude, seriously, CALM DOWN and climb off your high horse okay? you need some serious serious help

edit:
while you're here. check this out: http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...appiness-test/
^ what he said.

Sex isn't everything, dude. It'll work out.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 5, 2007, 11:12 PM

Uncalled for. Check your PMs.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2007, 11:19 PM

thank you G is he at ban level yet?

"set the engines to ban level!" "ban level?! but sir! the engine, shes never been set to that high of a level!" "BAN LEVEL! NOW!!"

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2007, 11:34 PM

Yes. Just like the secret garden when he linked us to IMDB...I think we lowered that movie a whole point or 2! Wooooot.

Kid, I suggest you sell your swords and movies, and take the money and go straight to a therapist.

climber
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2007, 11:37 PM

Hey, I was just responding to the overwhelming one votes for this movie. I think it has more to do with the history of the OP than the quality of the movie.
climber

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2007, 11:40 PM

I know, that's what I'm saying. I didn't see it, and you didn't so the other 10 people who voted one either really just hated the movie or did what we did...tried to piss off this kidddooo. And apparently it's working. He may have a broken computer monitor?

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2007, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock View Post

edit:
Honestly, I answered "Strongly agree" to every question.

I have one last thing to say, and you guys can either believe me or not.

What I say in online forums has NOTHING to do with how I really am or who I really am. I am a perfectly normal guy. I have no mental problems what so ever. And I 100% understand why you guys think of me the way you do. That is how I sound, and I don't know why I say stuff like that, but this is the truth i'm telling you now. I don't deny that everything i've said is completely out there, and makes me sound like I need a therapist, but please, believe me. It's just how I sound online.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2007, 11:55 PM

I'm late to the party, but I wanted to post here, as an act of symbolic solidarity.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2007, 12:18 AM

Relax! He said he rated down Babel, not Serenity. I have your back if he starts talkin' s**t about Serenity or Firefly, though.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

climber
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2007, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Relax! He said he rated down Babel, not Serenity. I have your back if he starts talkin' s**t about Serenity or Firefly, though.
I have never seen either of those shows....

Seriously I tried to watch firefly a couple of times after reading about on macnn. Unfortunately I think I was late in trying; it did not make much sense to me. Maybe I will try it from the first episode on DVD some day. I do like sci-fi.
climber

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2007, 12:47 AM

Page 4 and Babel is still overrated.

Railroader
Banned
Mar 6, 2007, 01:39 AM

This is when I leave this thread, and i'll tell you why...
LIAR!!!
Honestly, I answered "Strongly agree" to every question.

I have one last thing to say, and you guys can either believe me or not.

What I say in online forums has NOTHING to do with how I really am or who I really am. I am a perfectly normal guy. I have no mental problems what so ever. And I 100% understand why you guys think of me the way you do. That is how I sound, and I don't know why I say stuff like that, but this is the truth i'm telling you now. I don't deny that everything i've said is completely out there, and makes me sound like I need a therapist, but please, believe me. It's just how I sound online.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2007, 02:07 AM

I gave it a 7.

I really wanted Brad Pitt to bust it out and sock that fat dude in the face. Pushing him just didn't do it for me.

Oh, a minus a point for all the feminine "hot Japanese boys." Jebus, what's with Asian men doing their best to look like women lately?!

greg

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2007, 02:54 AM

I think Big is a really great. Give me more of that Tom Hanks!

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 6, 2007, 09:46 AM

Haven't seen Babel yet, though it's number 1 in my netflix queue. . .

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles has my vote though.

. . . Those aren't pillows!
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2007, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Nebagakid View Post
Give me more of that Tom Hanks!
Where have you been the last 20 years?

Forum Links
Forum Rules