Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > New Lion preview available

New Lion preview available (Page 9)
OreoCookie
Jul 3, 2011, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Maybe this better represents my feelings, perhaps your prototypical parents are better suited for iPads than a desktop OS like Lion?
I actually believe they are, but not yet. Writing texts (think Word) isn't there yet. And people often need bigger screens to work.

In any case, you should also think about the people using Windows. Mac users take things like Time Machine for granted, but Windows users don't have that luxury yet. Perhaps they will have with Windows 8, but nothing has been announced and they'd have to wait to 2012 at least.

We Mac users are living in a shiny Aqua Bubble
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 3, 2011, 04:53 PM

How easy is it to setup that shadow copy thing in Windows?

Cold Warrior
Jul 3, 2011, 04:54 PM

In Windows 7, it's very simple, and you can have incremental and clones scheduled.

OreoCookie
Jul 3, 2011, 05:26 PM

I thought Shadow Copies were more like versions rather than backups where you could make a snapshot and restore. And that the UI (via some contextual menu, I believe) is/was kind of cumbersome.

(I haven't really worked with Windows since Windows 2000.)

Cold Warrior
Jul 3, 2011, 05:59 PM

shadow copy was traditionally volume-based, but beginning in Vista it can do files too. So it should be versioning-like with files but can also create VHDs for volumes.

besson only asked about the ease of setup. Retrieving anything in Windows, that's a different matter.

freudling
Banned
Jul 5, 2011, 02:47 AM

Got the Golden Master running tonight. So far so good. Safari was really buggy before hope that's fixed.

I love the install from disk image. No more fiddling with Disk Utility and USB thumb drives...

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2011, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
I love the install from disk image. No more fiddling with Disk Utility and USB thumb drives...
Well, it will certainly cut down on Apple's materials costs. I'm not so crazy about not having a bootable install disc anymore to use if the hard drive gets replaced or if its partition map gets hosed, though. Sure, you can make one easily enough by imaging the disk image included inside the installer application to a USB stick or to a DVD, but it's going to cause major hassles when supporting end users who haven't had the foresight to do that.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

freudling
Banned
Jul 5, 2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Well, it will certainly cut down on Apple's materials costs. I'm not so crazy about not having a bootable install disc anymore to use if the hard drive gets replaced or if its partition map gets hosed, though. Sure, you can make one easily enough by imaging the disk image included inside the installer application to a USB stick or to a DVD, but it's going to cause major hassles when supporting end users who haven't had the foresight to do that.
Holy... haven't seen you around MacNN for a while. Anyway, times, they are a changin'.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2011, 06:42 PM

Got the Golden Master running tonight. So far so good. Safari was really buggy before hope that's fixed.

yeah, I thought they would have had that slight hiccup with Safari fixed by the GM.
Its weird, but everything else seems great so far.
As a person that juggles many things, the one feature that is most useful that I did not think would be is mission control.
I juggle open apps that serve specific purposes, school - work so on and so forth, mission control just makes it so easy to gather them into an area or see whats going on.
I know that it just builds on desktops and other features, but it is very useful for me.
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,
iPhone 4 - Time Capsule 2tb, Apple TV - iPad 2 64gb

freudling
Banned
Jul 9, 2011, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by solofx7 View Post
yeah, I thought they would have had that slight hiccup with Safari fixed by the GM.
Its weird, but everything else seems great so far.
As a person that juggles many things, the one feature that is most useful that I did not think would be is mission control.
I juggle open apps that serve specific purposes, school - work so on and so forth, mission control just makes it so easy to gather them into an area or see whats going on.
I know that it just builds on desktops and other features, but it is very useful for me.
Yup, slowly getting into Mission Control.

freudling
Banned
Jul 9, 2011, 02:02 PM

Gizmodo... surprise surprise, lambasts OS X Lion, calls it a failure:

Mac OS X Lion: This Is Not the Future We Were Hoping For

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2011, 02:11 PM

Linkbait.

**** Gizmodo.

Waiting for Ars' Siracusa report.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2011, 02:38 PM

What do you disagree with in the Gizmodo article? I read it and didn't buy some of their arguments and overall take, but that amalgamating the iOS and OS X interfaces might have negative reprecussions is a fair point.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2011, 03:13 PM

What do you disagree with in the Gizmodo article? I read it and didn't buy some of their arguments and overall take, but that amalgamating the iOS and OS X interfaces might have negative reprecussions is a fair point.
I no longer read Gizmodo articles, but the title should suffice.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2011, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I no longer read Gizmodo articles, but the title should suffice.

I don't really care about the integrity of Gizmodo, I don't have an opinion either way, but what about the actual points?

OreoCookie
Jul 9, 2011, 03:46 PM

I didn't find the gizmodo article particularly enlightening. Seems the author dislikes the direction some people claim seems to be taking, the notion that they're `getting rid of the file system, the Finder is going away!' This is not happening with 10.7 anyway.

I'm really looking forward to the Siracusa article, though.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2011, 03:54 PM

I don't really care about the integrity of Gizmodo, I don't have an opinion either way, but what about the actual points?
I *do* care about Gizmodo's integrity, and have read enough to know that they care little enough about it to write fabricated and or imagined sensationalist bullcrap with no interest in salient points or actual analysis. Oreo's brief synopsis seems to bear this out.

--> Linkbait.

I'm waiting on Siracusa for a fair dissection of the Lion.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2011, 04:02 PM

Holy... haven't seen you around MacNN for a while. Anyway, times, they are a changin'.
He must've escaped from my car trunk...stupid imports...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2011, 04:06 PM

I *do* care about Gizmodo's integrity, and have read enough to know that they care little enough about it to write fabricated and or imagined sensationalist bullcrap with no interest in salient points or actual analysis. Oreo's brief synopsis seems to bear this out.

--> Linkbait.

I'm waiting on Siracusa for a fair dissection of the Lion.

Okay, I'll bite... What set you off making you so vehement in your distaste for the site, knowing nothing about its history or persona?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2011, 04:18 PM

Did you spend all of spring last year under a DNS server, or does "internet tech tabloid pays $10.000 for stolen iPhone prototype and tries to extort public acknowledgement from owner" ring a bell?

The guys are scum, and their "tech journalism" is as solid as a Fox News infotainment show.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2011, 04:23 PM

Did you spend all of spring last year under a DNS server, or does "internet tech tabloid pays $10.000 for stolen iPhone prototype and tries to extort public acknowledgement from owner" ring a bell?

The guys are scum, and their "tech journalism" is as solid as a Fox News infotainment show.

Oh yeah, I remember that vaguely... Why on Earth would you feel so strongly about that? Who gives a shit? Yes, it was scummy, but boycott inspiring? Sounds like too much work!

freudling
Banned
Jul 9, 2011, 04:28 PM

Anyone who doesn't know that Gizmodo are a bunch of little nerds with zero integrity has indeed not been living on planet Earth. Does that mean I'll stop reading articles that crop up on Google bearing Gizmodo's ugly face? Nope. I'm objective and need to be kept updated. 95% of their stuff is trash, and a few articles help keep me informed.

I thought I'd throw that article in the mix to get a discussion going in regards to those who are critical of Lion.

Personally, I like Lion, and I'm getting used to its features. I think the author of the article doesn't really make much sense. OS X runs deep... and the Finder is still standing...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2011, 04:33 PM

I would be orgasmic about Lion if it was built on ZFS. There are some cool features in it, I'll upgrade to it, the price is perfect...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2011, 04:55 PM

Oh yeah, I remember that vaguely... Why on Earth would you feel so strongly about that? Who gives a shit? Yes, it was scummy, but boycott inspiring? Sounds like too much work!
I find it less effort to just NOT read stuff that's likely to be inflammatory bullshit that would need wading through for the odd morsel.

Idiocy gets my gall, and scum makes me angry, especially if I inadvertently support it.

I avoid the political lounge here for the same reason.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2011, 05:33 PM

I find it less effort to just NOT read stuff that's likely to be inflammatory bullshit that would need wading through for the odd morsel.

Idiocy gets my gall, and scum makes me angry, especially if I inadvertently support it.

I avoid the political lounge here for the same reason.

I see... Makes sense.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2011, 06:59 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing an in-depth analysis of CoreStorage. That's a pretty big change that I've heard virtually no mention of yet.
Vandelay Industries

Koralatov
Senior User
Aug 22, 2011, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Koralatov View Post
It sends a multipart email, consisting of a plaintext, HTML, and image part: […]

It’s definitely a bug, since I’ve set Mail to send only plaintext, and it used to work correctly.
If it is ignoring your pref it sounds like a bug to me too, but normally sending multipart emails is not a bad thing. It may not be necessary anymore though since I bet all major email apps support HTML, but I guess supporting provides utility for those that want it, or for viewing badly rendered/botched HTML email.

I can also identify with those that hate HTML email
Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
It sent a multi-part e-mail previously as well—it just only had two multi-part streams: a plain text one, and an image one. There shouldn’t really be a need to add a pleonastic HTML stream to it just because an image was added.
This bug still exists in 10.7.1. I’m beginning to fear that they’ll never fix it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules